Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-17-2003, 07:17 AM   #1
el_kalkylus
Drizzt Do'Urden

So if I choose a school, what will spell immunity protect my mage from? According to the manual, each schools specializes in:

Abjuration - Protective magic.
Conjuration - Summoning creatures and create objects.
Divination - Detection and divining magics.
Enchantment - Manipulation minds of other beings.
Illussion - Creating illussions.
Evocation - Evocation magic.
Necromancy - Magic dealing with death.
Transmutation - Alters physical reality.

From this, I can only draw the conclusion that spell immunity protect my mage from:

Abjuration - no idea, I read somewhere about maze, but is that a protection spell? makes no sense
Conjuration - no idea, summoned creatures can't hurt him?
Divination - Protection from spells such as true sight and detect invisibility.
Enchantments - Protection from domination, charm, dire charm.
Illussion - illussions can't hurt him?
Evocation - I read somewhere that evocation involves area spells such as cloud kill, so choosing this school would protect my mage against that?
Necromancy - Death spells such as death spell, vampire touch, cause wounds?

I know I am generally wrong, so if someone would be kind enough to write what each school pick would protect my mage from when casting spell immunity, I'd appreciate it.
Old 12-17-2003, 08:54 AM   #2
Armen
Symbol of Cyric

here you go

http://members.chello.nl/~j.vanthull/BG2SR/Main.htm

from the link in the Forum FAQ
Armen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2003, 08:55 AM   #3
ryaldin
Elminster

Well, for one thing, evocation is one of the more common schools to select immunity from. That covers things such as magic missle, fireball, A's Scorcher, etc.

Honestly though, are you just curious or are you trying to use the spell in a specific instance? The easiest way to find out what spells you'd be protected from, specifically, would be to check the spell descriptions in your game manual. Aside from this, maybe one of the guru's running around here can tell you more about how spell immunity works for less obvious schools (illusions, or conjurations, for example). Although, if memory serves, Melf's acid arrow and flame arrow are both conjurations, so that would be one instance where immunity would effect that school. Beyond that, I have no clue.
Old 12-17-2003, 09:29 AM   #4
el_kalkylus
Drizzt Do'Urden

I didn't find anything in that link that described spell immunity, Armen.

Ryaldin, yes I am planning to use spell immunity. I have used it already when fighting Dace the vampire (school - Enchantments). I am going through the game with just magic, using a sorcerer, human thief/mage and Aerie (for the first time), although I find myself using melf's minute meteors in most fights, so it's a kind of a ranged party. That will change soon enough, they are in Underdark now.
Old 12-17-2003, 09:37 AM   #5
Pirengle
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by el_kalkylus:
I didn't find anything in that link that described spell immunity, Armen.
Click on the link again, choose "Arcane Spells" on the left-hand-side navigation bar, then choose "Level 5 spells" or scroll down the page until you find Spell Immunity.

Basically, if you look up an offensive spell in your manual or some online spell guide, take note of which school that spell belongs to and remember that SI: (whichever school applies here) will prevent those spell's effects. For instance, Maze is a spell from the Conjuration school. SI: Conjuration will block the effects of Maze and any other spell from the Conjuration school for a few rounds.

[ 12-17-2003, 09:38 AM: Message edited by: Pirengle ]
Old 12-17-2003, 10:47 AM   #6
el_kalkylus
Drizzt Do'Urden

Thanks.

From now on, I will use protection from abjuration more.
Old 12-17-2003, 01:43 PM   #7
Userunfriendly
Elminster

abjuration...dispell/remove magic. will not stop breach, ruby ray, khelbens warding whip...will stop imprison, trap the soul (kangy)

conjuration...will stop melf acid arrows

evocation, will stop most stationary damage over time spells...will not fully protect you from cloudkill, since that is poison.

divination...use with improved invisibility and make rude gestures at mages while they look annoyed at you...

illusion...a little known effect of spell immunity illusion is it will stop blindness attacks...like nature's beauty or eclipse encounter blindness attacks.

alteration...stops teleportation field used in tactics mod. does not protect you from timestop...darn...
Jansens aren\'t as harmless like everybody supposes! <br />They got them stumpy legs and puffy potato noses! <br />And what\'s with all the turnips? <br />Why do they eat so much root vegetables, anyway? <br />Jansens, Jansens,<br />It must be Jansens!!!<br />(or griffins!)
Userunfriendly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2003, 01:58 PM   #8
el_kalkylus
Drizzt Do'Urden

Thanks. I copied the information about spell immunity from the link. Here it is:

Quote:
Spell Immunity
Most enemy spellcasters use spells from too many different schools for this spell to be any good as a conventional spell protection, but it is incredibly powerful in specific instances. Especially solo mages can put its immunities to great use.

The spell offers the following choices:

Abjuration: Will protect you against Dispel Magic, Remove Magic and Imprisonment (including the demilich variant Trap the Soul). Will not protect you against Breach, Lower Resistance or any conventional spell protection removal (use Improved Invisibility for that).

Conjuration: Will protect against Melf's Acid Arrow, Flame Arrow, the Power Words, Maze, the Symbols and all of the nasty insect spells. Will not protect against summons in any way.

Divination: Protects your illusions from all illusion removal spells. Will prevent Projected Images from being killed by True Sight if they cast it themselves.

Enchantment: Will protect against some nasty level 1-5 spells, such as Dire Charm, Hold Person, and Feeblemind.

Illusion: The only illusion that affects others is Blindness...

Evocation: Protects against every Evocation spell in the game (though only partially against Melf's Minute Meteors). While that may seem impressive, don't forget Mirror Image will probably protect you even better. This is the best protection against stationary area damage, though.

Necromancy: Protects against Skull Trap, Abi-Dalzim's Horrid Wilting and a few spells too sad to mention. Since enemies cast these spells only very rarely, you're probably better off using Mirror Image, (Minor) Spell Turning and/or Improved Invisibility instead.

Alteration: Protects against a small number of save-or-else spells. Again, try (Minor) Spell Turning or Improved Invisibility instead.

In solo play, where enemy True Sight or Remove Magic triggers can wipe out all of your precious protections in one go, immunity to both Abjuration and Divination is essential.

Won't protect you from your own spells (only those of others).
Nice to know that protection from conjuration will protect you against insect plaque!
Old 12-17-2003, 11:00 PM   #9
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

Arrow

Quote:
Originally posted by el_kalkylus:
Illusion: The only illusion that affects others is Blindness...
Wait...apart from the already-mentioned Nature's Beauty, what about Spook?
Old 12-17-2003, 11:42 PM   #10
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Userunfriendly:
~~ evocation, will stop most stationary damage over time spells...will not fully protect you from cloudkill, since that is poison. ~~
? The type of damage has nothing to do with it. Spell Immunity:Evocation will protect you from Cloudkill.
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote