Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2001, 04:43 PM   #1
Ramon de Ramon y Ramon
Red Dragon

I want to ask you all to share your experiences with voicechatting: which programs you think are best for it, which technical aspects are most crucial and which of the two options you prefer and/or use mostly and why: voicechatting or "normal" text-based chatting ? Important detail questions that come to mind regarding voicechatting are how important connection speed and the quality of the individual hardware components (soundcard, headset or microphone and speakers) are with it with regard to stabilty of the connection and sound quality (can you have a satisfactory voice transmission on 56k dial-up modem ?) ...

Thank you in advance for your input !

------------------
So long !

R³ aka "The Ramonster"(thanks Sir Tainly) - proud to be the official spokesman for the most noble Lady Bilqis, Desert Rose of Ironworks - equally proud to be Moiraine's "permanent advocate" !

Btw, the cow is queuing in the slaughterhouse right now !

[This message has been edited by Ramon de Ramon y Ramon (edited 11-02-2001).]
Old 11-02-2001, 04:45 PM   #2
DragonMage
20th Level Warrior

And, perchance are you asking this on behalf of one who has no clue as to the technical aspects of computerdom???

*bats lashes*

------------------

Alureth...Dragon friend of Breanna, Mage and Advisor in the Court of Lady Lioness

Co-Owner/Operator of the Evil Petting Zoo and devout member of the HADB clan.
Commander of the Dragon Fleet, IW Peacekeeping Force
Sublime Sister of the Illuminati - may the Light shine forever!
Second Historian and Scribe of IW. Mother Hen of IW.
Mage extraordinair, Pin-Up Girl for the OLD-COOTS
Magey-Wagey: performer in the Nekked Dancing Trio of the ORT.

HopeFUL Romantic *sigh*
Old 11-02-2001, 04:49 PM   #3
Sorcerer Alex

Salutations be to you Sir Ramon of the Noble Order of the Power Three. I use Yahoo instant messenger. You can download it at www.yahoo.com and it's much simpler than many other voice chat programs out there. All you need is a microphone. It works very well with a 56k modem and has a hands free option. So if I was you, I'd go for that

------------------
Later,

Old 11-02-2001, 05:45 PM   #4
Ramon de Ramon y Ramon
Red Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by DragonMage:
And, perchance are you asking this on behalf of one who has no clue as to the technical aspects of computerdom???

*bats lashes*

No !

Is anyone able to recommend a good yet inexpensive headset or microphone to Miss DragonMage ?

------------------
So long !

R³ aka "The Ramonster"(thanks Sir Tainly) - proud to be the official spokesman for the most noble Lady Bilqis, Desert Rose of Ironworks - equally proud to be Moiraine's "permanent advocate" !

Old 11-02-2001, 05:47 PM   #5
MILAMBER
Lord Soth

You all have to check out the new messenger with Windows XP. That beats everything hands down.

------------------
"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his."
-General George Patton (1885-1945)

Member of CLAN HADB
Old 11-02-2001, 05:53 PM   #6
Ramon de Ramon y Ramon
Red Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Sorcerer Alex:
Salutations be to you Sir Ramon of the Noble Order of the Power Three. I use Yahoo instant messenger. You can download it at www.yahoo.com and it's much simpler than many other voice chat programs out there. All you need is a microphone. It works very well with a 56k modem and has a hands free option. So if I was you, I'd go for that

Thanks, Sir Alex: Yahoo is the program I have been using for my voice chats so far, above all because they took place in conjunction with multiplaying sessions, so it was crucial that Yahoo, unlike MSN, allowed for multi-person-voicechatting conferences. But I found the sound quality to be only partially satisfactory. The best sound quality I have experienced so far was in a two-person voicechat on MSN ... Does anyone have any experience with voicechatting with the latest version of MSN ?

------------------
So long !

Old 11-02-2001, 05:56 PM   #7
Ramon de Ramon y Ramon
Red Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by MILAMBER:
You all have to check out the new messenger with Windows XP. That beats everything hands down.

Thanks, Milamber. But that would only be available in conjunction with XP, right ?

------------------
So long !

Old 11-02-2001, 06:33 PM   #8
MILAMBER
Lord Soth

I think you can download it from Microsoft. Check it out here

------------------
"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his."
-General George Patton (1885-1945)

Member of CLAN HADB
Old 11-02-2001, 06:39 PM   #9
DragonMage
20th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by MILAMBER:
I think you can download it from Microsoft. Check it out here
Mil - do you get kickbacks from them or something??? Don't want to d/l anything else! Want to voicechat on MSN!!!!!! Got it??? *bratty pout* But thank you for the information. We just don't want to d/l any more 'stuff'. You are a dear! (((HUGS)))

------------------

Alureth...Dragon friend of Breanna, Mage and Advisor in the Court of Lady Lioness

Co-Owner/Operator of the Evil Petting Zoo and devout member of the HADB clan.
Commander of the Dragon Fleet, IW Peacekeeping Force
Sublime Sister of the Illuminati - may the Light shine forever!
Second Historian and Scribe of IW. Mother Hen of IW.
Mage extraordinair, Pin-Up Girl for the OLD-COOTS
Magey-Wagey: performer in the Nekked Dancing Trio of the ORT.

HopeFUL Romantic *sigh*