Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-24-2002, 06:58 PM   #1
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

After logging into Messenger yesterday, or maybe it was Friday, I had a notice about an upgrade, so I downloaded it. It seems to work ok, but I've noticed in the bottom right-hand corner(what is that area called again ) I have the old icon for Messenger with the RED X over it, which represents not being logged-in, side by side with the 5.0 icon?

What's up with this?

I've uninstalled 5.0 and then reinstalled it, but still the same problem; it isn't upgrading my version as all other downloads have, it's creating a second version program. Realizing this, I uninstalled BOTH versions, individually, then downloaded 5.0 again, installed again, AND I'm still getting the same crap!?!?!?

I've spend most of the last 36 hours updating, uninstalling, reinstalling, etc. It certainly doesn't seem worth it.

I'm getting ready to uninstall the whole shaband and reinstall a 4.x version.

Anyone else have this problem? BTW, I'm using XP Service Pack 1 and IE 6.0 Service Pack 1 on a 2GIG processor, with 512MG RDRAM, and a broadband connection.

[ 11-24-2002, 07:01 PM: Message edited by: Ronn_Bman ]
Old 11-24-2002, 07:03 PM   #2
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

That is weird Ronn, usually MSN upgrades overtop the older version. Also weird that you deleted both yet both returned. Do you think you deleted them completely out of everything? (programs, start menu)?

Reality Show Recaps
Old 11-24-2002, 07:07 PM   #3
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by ladyzekke:
That is weird Ronn, usually MSN upgrades overtop the older version. Also weird that you deleted both yet both returned. Do you think you deleted them completely out of everything? (programs, start menu)?
Yes I deleted the new version from the start menu, the old version was a component of XP that doesn't show up in the "add/remove" list, so I uninstalled it through the XP component list. I did a search to check for MSN Messenger and got no results, then I reinstalled 5.0, but still the same deal.

It works, but I shouldn't have two icons should I?
Old 11-24-2002, 07:11 PM   #4
Ladyzekke

LOL, nope the two icons is bizzarro. Can you at least right click on the icon of the old one and delete it from the task bar?

Reality Show Recaps
Old 11-24-2002, 07:13 PM   #5
WillowIX
Apophis

Ronn I know you won´t like this suggestion. In fact maybe I should issue a warning. Read at own risk! Now this could be a registry error *catches Ronn as he faints*. When uninstalling a program not all registry lines will disappear. So it is possible that when you uninstall both messenger then reinstall one there will be two different lines in the registry linking to the same program although they ought to link to different ones. You could try uninstalling, then search the registry manually for MSN and the like. Be careful with what you delete though! You could also try and uninstall both and install Trillian and run MSN from that instead. [img]smile.gif[/img]

ANd you are logged in as admin when updating right?

[ 11-24-2002, 08:12 PM: Message edited by: WillowIX ]
Old 11-24-2002, 07:18 PM   #6
Dagorion
Red Wizard of Thay

You know, this isnt exactly the thread I wanted to see while half way through downloading the new MSN.
Could this be a problem because of the fact that you are instaling it over the XP MSN version?
Old 11-24-2002, 07:25 PM   #7
Ladyzekke

Quote:
Originally posted by Dagorion:
You know, this isnt exactly the thread I wanted to see while half way through downloading the new MSN.
ROTFLMAO! I wish you luck Dagorion! Actually I'd be interested to see if it happened to you too, because if that is he case I know what NOT to do when I see that "New Version" message on MSN!

Reality Show Recaps
Old 11-24-2002, 08:10 PM   #8
Dagorion
Red Wizard of Thay

Well it seems to be working fine for me, it doesnt seem have 2 icons. But the colour of it just looks damn weird.
Old 11-24-2002, 08:25 PM   #9
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

Dag, I'm think it is an XP issue. I remember looking for an XP version of MSN Messenger once to see if I had the latest version and found there wasn't one(manual download version) available for XP.

Anyone else with XP experiencing this?

LZ, I can close either in the task bar with no obvious problem.

Willow, you are a naughty, registry using girl...lol. Actually, I'd be afraid to try the registry because Messenger has been described as an intergral version of XP in some of the things I've read. I'm sure it can be done this way, but I wouldn't be comfortable doing it but did allow Norton's SystemWorks' "One Button Checkup" to delete several MSN Messenger related registry files after the uninstallation of both.
Old 11-24-2002, 08:29 PM   #10
Ladyzekke

Quote:
Originally posted by Dagorion:
Well it seems to be working fine for me, it doesnt seem have 2 icons. But the colour of it just looks damn weird.
I actually since my last post have gotten the "upgrade" message. Guess then I'll download it. What is weird with the colors though?

Reality Show Recaps