Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)

Old 06-23-2013, 02:36 AM   #1
Wolf Rider2
Elminster

Default Elder Scrolls Online

It seems the Elder Scrolls is moving into the MMO market. How this impacts on the Elder Scrolls franchise could go either way. Has anybody been keeping up with this? What are your thoughts?
Wolf Rider2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 12:46 PM   #2
Azred
Drow Priestess

Ironworks Forum Re: Elder Scrolls Online

Sadly, no, I have not been keeping up with that franchise.

On the topic of MMO, though...I dislike MMO and will not play any game that is MMO only. The probability that other people are trolls is too high and I do not want to hear other people using rudely foul language directed at either me or my mother. I also do not wish to be negatively critiqued because I didn't do something the way someone else thought it should be done.

No matter how thinly you slice it, it's still bologna.
Azred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 02:22 AM   #3
Wolf Rider2
Elminster

Default Re: Elder Scrolls Online

I agree with you there. I think it would be better if you had the option to play multiplayer, rather than it being compulsory. Multiplayer games are ruined by trolls far too often. I'll probably still give it a go, just to see if it is any good, but my hopes aren't very high. I doubt my laptop could run it anyway.
Old 07-05-2013, 09:38 AM   #4
Sparhawk
Quintesson

Got a friend who is in the beta - but the NDA is so strong that he is being tight as a virgin about it....from what I've seen and heard though its supposed to be as good as Skyrim...just MMO style and with expanded crafting etc.
"Between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the rise of the sons of Arius. There was an age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world. Hither came Conan, the cimmarian, sword in hand. It is I, his chronicler who knows well his saga. Now let me tell you of the days of high adventure!"

"Unleash the Casey!"

"Make no mistake, should you choose to test my resolve in this matter, you will be looking at an outcome that will have a finality, that is beyound your comprehension. And you will not counting the days or the months or the years, but milleniums in a place with no doors!"
Sparhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 11:00 AM   #5
Wolf Rider2
Elminster

Well if it's as good as Skyrim then I'll be more happy about it, but having to deal with trolls is still going to be a pain...
Old 06-08-2014, 06:55 PM   #6
TheCrimsomBlade
Lord Ao

I managed to be picked as a Beta tester in the last 4 months before it went on line.
As someone that has played all of the Elder Scroll Games I found ES on line to be a big disappointment. If you were not doing PVP and just stuck with PVE it was a run and fetch game to the 10 degree. every mission was basically a repeat of the mission before.
Its a shame because it has some of the best graphics I have ever seen and it looked like Skyrim but didn't play that way. I tried one of every character and every different world and it just got boring and repetitious.
If you want to get all the good gear you have to buy the Premium collectors edition at more then $100.00 then pay $15.00 a month to play after a single month of game play that comes with the game.
Now I under stand that next year they will be dropping the monthly $15.00 charge to free to play after you buy the $60.00 basic game. I can see that "MAYBE" even then they need to add some better content to the game and let you know when your on the main quest or doing a side line seek and fetch worthless mission to nowhere.
I still play Morowind, Oblivion & Skyrim and they are 10 times better then ES on line.
I was very disappointed as I was really looking forward to the ES on line Game.
Major Bummer!!
TCB
Old 06-11-2014, 11:59 PM   #7
Wolf Rider2
Elminster

Yeah, I ended up getting into the beta as well, and even on the lowest settings it ran awfully on my laptop. I don't do PvP, so I was doing the running and fetching PvE, finding it incredibly boring. I wasn't aware that they were dropping the $15 per month fee, but I still don't know if I'll bother with it. I've been hearing very little about it, which is generally an indication that it's not that great, which is disappointing as it had a lot of potential. Very unfortunate.
Old 08-04-2014, 05:45 AM   #8
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Well I did the beta, decided to sub, got three toons to 50 (one to vet 2, the other 2 to vet 1) and a 4th to 43 but it's getting boring now. It's great from a levelling point of view, probably the best levelling MMO along with SWTOR. Storyline is awesome. But just like SWTOR there's really no endgame to speak of. Respec costs are ridiculous for a game that supposedly allows to to "play how you want". PvP is basically mostly zerg which is fun if you like that but there's really not much individual skill involved.

The most annoying thing is that it goes from a great levelling storyline from level 1 - 50 then from vet 1 - 12 (vet levels are levels you earn when you hit level 50) is a boring grind.

I feel like ESO fell between two stools - they tried to keep the immersion folks happy (the ones that make up the majority of fans of the franchise) but at the same time tried to keep MMO fans happy as well, and it's very difficult to do that as they are in many cases mutually exclusive. It's hard for the immersion folks to stay immersed and roleplay that they are "the major No1 superhero of Tamriel" when there are 100 other people doing the exact same thing as you, clearing the exact same dungeon, killing the same bosses, etc. On the other hand MMO players get frustrated at how hard it is to actually play in a group with all the phasing that goes on in ESO - if you are further along a questline as your friend you will NOT be able to see him in the world even if you are grouped together.

I also found that compared to other MMOs like WoW or Wildstar the interface was very slow and antiquated.

Last edited by Memnoch; 08-04-2014 at 05:49 AM.
Memnoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 10:40 PM   #9
Wolf Rider2
Elminster

Yeah, I've been hearing that from others who have played it as well. I'm sure that the actual game was better than the beta, but I wasn't prepared to pay that much for it and the monthly fee, didn't have time to play anyway. But I've also heard from a number of people who had game crashing issues that Zenimax's customer support team sometimes had a tendency to be less than accommodating. That would be a big issue for me because games on my laptop are renowned for crashing often.