Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-01-2000, 12:20 AM   #1
Backstabber

they sure made BG2 a more one sided game
the vast majority of the quests ofered assume im doing things for "good reasons"
i mean jeez! through the game im a murdering evil bastage and i tell irenicas and all other npcs i couldnt give a whits arse about imoen...and yet im forced into scenes & conversations that assume i wouldnt kill her for being so weak!
of course many other quests also only have good reasons to say for why youll do something etc

Old 12-01-2000, 12:45 AM   #2
omegadawn
Welcomed New User

There is an evil path through the game's main story. It's a bit harder and you get less exp for a few quests. I found the evil npcs had some advantages over the good, the spellcasters being single-classed is one. Besides isn't it evil to conceal your true motives to do a good deed for the money, then murder the quest-giver for fun? Screw reputation if your evil, especially chaotic. Choppin up city gaurds and cowled wizards for the pure glee of it certainly is not good. Even evil has to earn cash...
Old 12-01-2000, 05:00 AM   #3
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Backstabber, what you're talking about is being out-of-control. Think, would Manshoon or Fzoul Chembryl go rampaging through a foreign capital killing everything in sight? Would Szass Tam? Halaster Blackcloak probably would but then again he's crazy and a Level 30 Mage. Orcs, goblins, trolls and other mindless humanoids go on killing sprees. The smart evil characters will only kill if they can get away with it.

No doubt the game is skewed towards good and the quest XP and quest choices for evil characters are definitely much more limited, but as omegadawn said you can play even a chaotic evil character in a subtle way and still remain true to your alignment. The price of making your choices is lower XP, but you would still hit the XP cap so you're not really disadvantaged unless you remove the cap (in which case you would be disadvantaged).
Old 12-01-2000, 09:53 AM   #4
Backstabber

Well, being the smart evil character that i am, i can get away with it
Its like in chapter 7 with irenicus's invasion of that elven town; hes so powerful he can get away with it (your his only real competition....)
So since you are more powerful than he is (you have to be if you intend to be able to beat the game, then you should be able to do whatever you want evil wise)
A few of my wishes for being evil:
1) Anomen has quests for the good--revenge for his sisters murder or being able to join the radiant knights, Well...I think i should have been able to if evil to join up with the evil family who murdered his sister; maybe get a quest to kill anomens old man, and then kill anomen himself and stuff like that
2) Enough with the imoen stuff! I want to be able to have a route through the game where your sole reason for going after irenicus is to get his power! the conversation lines and cut scenes right now dont support that
3) In the chaotic evil type description it said i would have to bully my guys into doing stuff, and yet ive yet to encounter a conversation with them where i would have to do that!
4) The blind beholder cult--i should be able to do quests for them like murdering the helm temple or something
5) Maevar- i should be able to become his right hand man in all criminal activities *for hefty salary...*
6) Bodhi in chapter 6--you find books describing the process of becoming a vampire--i ought to be able to make myself one! or atleast bodhi ought to offer me a quest or something in an earlier chapter to become one
7) the murderer guy in bridge district, i ought to be able to join him in his quest for skin! hed maybe pay be a commission for getting him the skin of noblemen...
the shadow lord: i ought to be able to steal his power (gain ability to summon skeletons/wraiths etc) and the ruined temple would be like my guild hall of evil; also to get to him i ought to have an evil way--like i become one with the darkness in order to pass though the shadow walls and doors etc
9) The demon lord that the mother summons in the drow city--i should have the chance to get him to work for me! maybe have the 2 others give the fake egs and i get to give him the real ones; the demon would join my party like a regular character and we could go rampaging

Im sure i could come up with a lot more *Evil* things that coulda been done; and yea doing good deads for money/power is ok, but a lot of the quests dont give you that option
and yea! killing guards is great! so far ive had the amnish soldiers teleport to me saying i am to die for my crimes like 15 times; ive massacred them every time and wow they drop quite a bit of loot

Old 12-01-2000, 09:59 AM   #5
Armisael

Yes, I can't get enough of all those platemails / spears either.

Old 12-01-2000, 10:04 AM   #6
Melusine
Dracolisk

I think you've a different interpretation of evil than most of us.
The fact that I'm playing lawful good doesn't mean I'm gonna give all my money to the beggars and do all quests for free right?
It's a bit silly to play a chaotic evil character as some freak killing everyone he catches sight of and all the other things you propose. I mean, why would you want to become a vampire? I think in AD&D being evil has more to do with being egoistical and doing everything for your own profit. Like Memnoch said, why not just go on the quests you are offered, your motivation is greed and if you're good then perhaps it's altruism. I think it's way more realistic -and more fun too- to play like that, not every evil character is out to destroy the world like in the Power Rangers or something like that!
I do totally agree that there are way too few evil NPCs in BG2, you can't even have an all-evil party which I think is a pity coz I've been meaning to try that out!
Old 12-01-2000, 10:11 AM   #7
Merc Widowmaker

You may be Chaotic Evil but you are ALSO an ADVENTURER. Adventuring almost garentees you loot and fame. A Chaotic Evil adventurer is a glutton for these 2 things so even if there is no financial remuneration, this should be enough to satisfie you lust for money, power and fame !

"Only a fool would turn down the opertunity to kill loot and adventure, because there was no initial capital to entice him", scolds Merc Widowmaker. *Shaking his head in disbelief*

Old 12-01-2000, 11:23 AM   #8
Backstabber

vampires are kinda symbolic of lust, power, and infamy
so why wouldnt i want to become one like bodhi?
Im motivated when playing my evil char by
1) becoming infamous
2) becoming powerful
3) gettin rich
So, why would i being the evil uncaring sort ever do a quest where there wasnt upfront offers of atleast one of these? doing them would mean i would be risking not getting a reward, and as such i would see it as being pointless to do a task without a reward

irenicus is motivated primarily by becoming powerful; so he sets out his goal of using and killing people to add to his own power
i of course being evil and a powergrubber like him want to become powerful like him etc so i can go about killing elven towns and joining with trees or becoming a vampire

Old 12-01-2000, 08:21 PM   #9
Jon Irenicus
Elminster

backstabber I have made a vampire charecter add on to the game with it if you wish you can be a vampire! I am one of them and also I totaly agree with backstabber!