Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 08-31-2004, 10:32 PM   #1
Gangrell
Iron Throne Cult

Got a couple of questions to answer for my business tech class, and was wondering if anyone here knew. Does anyone know what a Technical Writer does and for a cover letter to a resume, if the employeer's name cannot be found, what do you replace it with?

[ 08-31-2004, 10:35 PM: Message edited by: Gangrell ]
Old 08-31-2004, 10:48 PM   #2
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

A technical writer, in my experience, generally writes technical manuals... user guides, documentation, training materials, and the like.

For your second question, I assume you mean the name of the particular person you're trying to send the letter to. I've heard that you can send it to Human Resources (Dear sir or madam), but honestly, if I were in that boat, I'd find out the name one way or another... even by simply calling up and asking who in Human Resources you should send resumes to. Or, more likely to succeed, who the director of HR is. They can always send the resume downlevels, and whoever sees it down there may think you have a connection higher up [img]smile.gif[/img]
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Old 08-31-2004, 11:18 PM   #3
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Gangrell:
for a cover letter to a resume, if the employeer's name cannot be found, what do you replace it with?
Call the company and find out the employeer's name from the secretary or someone else working there. Don't ever use " to whom it may concern "
Old 09-01-2004, 01:01 AM   #4
sageridder
Drizzt Do'Urden

Quote:
Originally posted by Gangrell:
Got a couple of questions to answer for my business tech class, and was wondering if anyone here knew. Does anyone know what a Technical Writer does and for a cover letter to a resume, if the employeer's name cannot be found, what do you replace it with?
A Technical Writer reads manuals and edit's them to make sure it's final copy is such that it is free of mistakes and is understandable for it's target readers.You said this is for class so I'd say if the info just simply couldn't be obtained to replace it with the purpose of the resume, ie to be considered for position XXXXXXXXXX with your firm, or to be considered for a position related to job field YYYYYYYYYY.
Trust is indeed a shiny jewel,set in the stone of friendship.And much like any other stone can be use to crush the skulls of those unsuspecting.To clear the path for me to claim my rightful place as master of all I survey.

Play games win prizes completely free. http://teet.net/af/bd395b7216
So far I've won an 8gb ipod nano and an acer inspire netbook
Old 09-01-2004, 01:35 AM   #5
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

I have a technical ASI (Additional Skill Identifier) and a chessy certificate within my chosen field. As those above have pointed out, you write about the item. Level dependent, you will write down to the target user. As one can imagine, this type of literature is formed in the sense of "how to". Or you can write up to the manufacturer pointing out 'points of interest' that you have incurred during your product review. If you are skilled enough to land in R&D, you get to experiment with the product, then write full blown reviews, either for your company, a magizine, or to the engineers that designed the product, fun stuff.

I'm in the window to start my transition and have just received a military to civilian seminar. The main line of one's resume is to root down and find the actual person's name in HR department. As 'B' pointed out, make the call, stop in, do whatever. But make sure you have the name, correct spelling, and title for the person it needs to get to first. If this is for class work only, use the name and title of the proc and use his department for the job field.

M$ Word will become your bread, and typically Excell will become your butter. Furthermore, you must become a Powerpoint Ranger to make your presentation look good at the final briefing.

Good Luck.

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy
35th President of The United States

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

Jesus died for our sins, and American Soldiers died for our freedom.

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Old 09-01-2004, 01:27 PM   #6
Gangrell
Iron Throne Cult

Alright, thanks for the replies all, it really helped me out.

I have to get back though, I'm in my tech class atm and I need to go ahead and finish my work.

Thanks

[ 09-01-2004, 01:28 PM: Message edited by: Gangrell ]