Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > NWN Mod: Escape from Undermountain
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-13-2003, 12:28 PM   #1
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Being a Moderator, I should know the answer, but I do not. I have level 20 characters that have items that are within the limits of their game-enduced levels...but is that what illegal is? In my opinion, and maybe I am not the only one that thinks this way, I have created this list of what I believe is legal or illegal. This is not a rule that I am posting...this is more like a question. Am I correct in my assumption?

Legal ?

Character is Level 20
All weapons and armor are level 20 or lower.

================================================== =

Illegal ? (Does not apply to HotU expansion, coming November)

Character is 21 +
Weapons and armor that are level 21 +

================================================== =============================
.................... .................... .................... .................... ....................
================================================== =============================

Am I right or wrong? In other words, can I have a level 20 character with items that only a level 20 character can use, and still be illegal?

For a more clear definition, here is an idea for a character and his stats.

Tell me if this is a Legal or Illegal character. Thanks

Sorcerer

Level = 20
Str = 20 (5)
Dex = 20 (5)
Con = 23 (6)
Wis = 20 (5)
Int = 16 (3)
Cha = 20 (5)

AC = 24
HP = 204

Armor/Weapon Abilities (All Armors/Weapons Combined) that affected stats:

Strength + 3 + 1 + 5
Dexterity + 3 + 1
Constitution + 8 + 2 + 1
Wisdom + 4 + 2
Intelligence + 4 + 4

Enchantments:

Haste
Improved Evasion
Damage Resistance: 10% on all types of attacks
Immunity to Fear
Immunity to Knockdown
Spell Resistance: 18
Freedom
Armor Bonus to Pierce, Slash, Bludge: + 3
Regeneration + 5
Armor Bonus + 5
Damage Reduction + 5, 10 Soak
Unlimited Magic Missles

[ 09-13-2003, 12:31 PM: Message edited by: Larry_OHF ]
Old 09-13-2003, 12:38 PM   #2
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

It's more of a commonsense rule, Larry - generally, a character is considered to be an ubermunchkin if he's carrying items/buffs/etc which are obviously unrealistic. In servers with no ILR this would obviously extend to weapons which have a level limit of 30+ (eg a +5 Vorpal with 2d6 of Acid damage and Vampiric Regeneration and +10 to Strength). Obviously doesn't pass the commonsense test.

Even within the level20 limit there are ways to get around this. An example would be a level 20 fighter carrying multiple Rods - Rods of Horrid Wilting, Rods of Harm, Rods of Time Stop, Rods of Storm of Vengeance, etc. that allow him to cast up to 50 spells of each a session, which make him something like a level 20 fighter/level 20 sorcerer.

It's that kind of stuff that is obviously a joke.

[ 09-13-2003, 12:40 PM: Message edited by: Memnoch ]

Memnoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2003, 01:12 PM   #3
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Exactly what Mem said Larry. If I see players that have any items that have 100% immune to EVERYTHING and weapons to do every damage in the book, then they get to be messed with.. stripped naked, and alone in undermountain for Halaster to make fun of.

The Great Escape Studios - 2D/3D Modeling
www.tgeweb.com & Ziroc's Facebook Page
Visit My Flickr Photo Album
Ziroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2003, 02:53 PM   #4
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Okay, so if I am online with the above character that I posted...would he be stripped of anything? I gotta ask, because he's my sorcerer, and I do not have any intention of breaking a rule...nor being stripped naked for Halaster...
Old 09-13-2003, 04:03 PM   #5
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Ziroc does not have any custom item-strip scripts on entry however in alot of server those items you have with infinite fireball or other spells would be stripped, same goes for any unnatural immunity as people tend to go overboard.
Old 09-13-2003, 05:23 PM   #6
Chewbacca
Zartan

For a level 20 Sorcerer, that character doesnt look overly munchin in my opinion. You go a little further with ability bonuses than I tend too, but you dont have 100% immunity in anything, nor can you cast both Arcane and Divine spells unlimited. Unlimited magic missles is a little over-the-top (IMO) but hardly makes a character uber as a simple shield or ghostly visage can counter-act it.

My rule for character item making is to keep the items "legal" and try to walk in the shoes of the other players and the module maker. If my character keeps the challenge and fun intact, then it is fair and good.

If I am dominating the game and doing more damage than everyone else for example I will bow out voluntarily and comeback with a lower/weaker character if need be.

Larry, I don't think your sorcerer is a gamebreaker at all.

Just my opinions of course... [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-13-2003, 05:46 PM   #7
True_Moose
Gold Dragon

The key is to remember that being powerful is fine. It's good to have some nice equipment: at level 20, your character should have excellent equipment, or else something is wrong. My character has 31 strength and a vorpal katana, but dies at least 2 or 3 times each time through the undermountain.

Two specific illegal characters I can think of on the Undermountain. Once was my first time through, with Z. Some dwarven fighter had an item called the "holy grail" which seemed to have practically every single spell with unlimited charges. Dwarven fighter + timestop = illegal. Other guy was last night, when me and Chewy were in a party two legit characters, and a hackey. Well, Big Red fell to hackey in something like 2 minutes, seeing as how he was doing 70 damage a hit. The problem? This same character cast Weird and Time Stop, then offered to Resurrect me. I think Chewy had some nice parting words for him [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-13-2003, 06:17 PM   #8
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Ok, let's start a list of cheaters--make sure you check them out and stuff..

Click on their pic to get their logon name and write it down as well as their nickname. Then, I can watch the screen, and if I see one of them, I can log into the game, look at their char, and if cheating, ban.

If you can do this, it'll help!! [img]smile.gif[/img]

Old 09-13-2003, 06:30 PM   #9
Stratos
Vampire

Maybe we should give them some kind of warning first before we ban them. Perhaps a sign by the entrace or some other way to inform them about the rules of the module. Banning people because they, without knowing the rules, made the 'mistake' of entering with an über character might make EfU unpopular.
Old 09-13-2003, 06:36 PM   #10
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Quote:
Originally posted by Stratos:
Maybe we should give them some kind of warning first before we ban them. Perhaps a sign by the entrace or some other way to inform them about the rules of the module. Banning people because they, without knowing the rules, made the 'mistake' of entering with an über character might make EfU unpopular.
I always give warnings... and some DO come back with a normal character, which is cool.