Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum

Old 11-15-2002, 09:44 AM   #1
Desdicado
Zhentarim Guard

Hi Guys,

Been off playing Icewind Dale 2 the last few days.
Have any of you played M&M9?. A friend reckons it is very like W&W so I am thinking of buying it.
Old 11-15-2002, 10:10 AM   #2
Radek
Red Dragon

No, it isn't. MM9 S S S S U C K S S S !!
Do not waste your money. Try MM7 instead. Or MM8: it's not as good as MM7 but it is good.
All MM (except MM9, LOL) games are sophisticated CRPGs. If you like good CRPGs then, I am sure, you will like MM games.
The MM9 is an exception. They created a "real 3D world". If I understand well, the the "real 3D world" means long loading times, frequent crashes, megabytes of data in saved games, heaps of bugs, and a small game world (much smaller than, for example, the MM7 world). Otherwise, the "real 3D world" is the same graphics as we know it from other games. IMO, the "real 3D world" is considerably worse than the "unreal 3D world" in W&W. They also introduced a "new game interface". The "new game interface" cannot be distinguished from the old hack'n'slash interface as we know it from all those Dooms, Quakes, and so on. No toolbar, not even an optional toolbar or a toolbar invokable by a hotkey, i.e., you have to memorize bags of keyboard assignments. During the game, you will concentrate on the keyboard instead on the action on the screen. Oh, well...
I warned you! Don't follow me and dont throw your money out of window!
Old 11-15-2002, 12:16 PM   #3
WillowIX
Apophis

I´m all with Radek! The engine really sucks (pardon) and besides the gameplay is very and I do mean VERY limited. Conversations are stale movement unrealistic etc. I have to disagree with one point Radek made though (just for the cause of it). I´d try MM6 instead. It´s bigger, more beautiful and way tougher! MM8 is frankly childs play and MM7 not much harder. If you decide between 7 and 8 go with 7 since this also is a beautiful game even though it´s using a "2D" engine.
Old 11-15-2002, 03:42 PM   #4
Mr Creosote
The Magister

MM9 must be the worse game I have ever inflicted onto my PC, and Ive been playing RPGs since Collosal Cave in 1975 - yes, MM9 really is that bad. It has NO redeeming qualities.
Its a real shame as the MM series was fantastic, like the Ultima series, it ended not with a bang but a very sad whimper.

AVOID MM9 !!

I agree with Willow, MM6 was the best of the "modern" generation of MM games, in fact its a pretty good game in just about every respect.

[ 11-15-2002, 03:44 PM: Message edited by: Mr Creosote ]
Mr Creosote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2002, 07:46 PM   #5
Desdicado
Zhentarim Guard

Ok Guys, I am convinced. What a sad end to a great series, particulalry M&M6 & 7.
Old 11-15-2002, 09:47 PM   #6
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

*walks in, notices the arrows, darts, and swords stuck in the MM9 poster on the wall...*

Okay, looks like we gots opinions here...

I'll speak up on the other side. I don't really think MM9 was all that bad. I don't remember a big challenge in remembering keyboard commands and things of that nature, and once I turned the "head-bob" speed down, I no longer found myself getting seasick as I ran through Chedian.

I enjoyed some of the quests (damn a family, and then save them), although others were close to pointless (walk into a cave and grab something near the entrance? Puh-lease...). There was definitely room for improvement, though, as with all games (including WW).

I do agree with everyone else -- MM6 was one of the best of the bunch. The first game with a new UI, it had things that still make me nervous (like Castle Darkmoor). MM7 was better known as "MM6, part II". MM8 added some things, but not quite enough to keep me interested.

I have played MM9 at least twice (I forget exactly how much). The second time was with an all-might party -- life is hard when you don't have magic available... I think I also did a third party with the "undesirable" classes, as I viewed them. It was enjoyable, but not quite as addicting as WW (or DD, for that matter).

So what's my point? Don't expect it to be the latest and greatest thing in gaming, 'cause it's not. Do expect it to have an interesting storyline that keeps things moving along (watch out for that message-bearer). Do expect it to be a bit of a hack-and-slash game, although you can play it however you like.

In a sad but common story, 3do was rushed to get this game out. It didn't take off like they wanted (or hoped), and within weeks of the game's release, the MM team was basically disbanded. There was one official patch, I think, and there's an unofficial patch that you can get from a regular on the 3do forums website.

Will there be an MM10? As someone who played MM1 as his first CRPG, I desparately hope so. I don't have enough time to try every CRPG that comes along, and the consistency of the MM series has kept me going. DD is another title that has promise as a series, although they need to work on the bugginess.

I hope JVC gets the rights to MM back and decides to create another game. Perhaps he can team up with DW Bradley and they can take the best of both worlds.

Time will tell.
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2002, 05:01 PM   #7
Olli Kalma

Ok ! I can't stand it anymore!
I don't have any clue what you're talking about!

Question no:1
What are CRPGs !
How does it different from normal RPG ?

Question no:2
IMO... What do you mean about that?

I'm just from Finland and I don't use mIRC or other such programs, so
I don't have any idea about yourabbreviations.

Sorry, but I just don't know and can't wait no longer to find those out!

( And please don't laught so much... )
Old 11-17-2002, 10:37 PM   #8
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

*chuckles*

Ya know, I've been known to do that to people...

Okay, first off, CRPG stands for Computer Role-Playing Game. Just like a regular RPG (such as D&D or GURPS), but it's computerized. WW, DD, MM, YY... they're all CRPGs.

IMO is an abbreviation for In My Opinion. You'll see variations like IMHO (IM Humble O) and IMNSHO (IM Not So HO). Other common abbreviations include ROTFL (Rolling on the floor laughing), LMAO (laughing my @$$ off), ROTFLMAO (doing both)... there are a billion of 'em.

Check out http://www.geocities.com/SouthBeach/...#Abbreviations for a listing and a link to a larger dictionary.
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2002, 06:20 PM   #9
Olli Kalma

Thank's Bungleau!

I just haven't use abbreviations in english, so it took me while to understand all posts [img]smile.gif[/img]

We have those in finish too, and don't use them so often either!
So you see why I'm lost...

But tought what CRPG could mean but was not sure, and didn't want to embarrass me more to understand it wrong.

Well I'm newbie in this case.

And once more... Don't laught at me... [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-19-2002, 07:30 AM   #10
WillowIX
Apophis

Quote:
Originally posted by Olli Kalma:
Thank's Bungleau!

I just haven't use abbreviations in english, so it took me while to understand all posts [img]smile.gif[/img]

We have those in finish too, and don't use them so often either!
So you see why I'm lost...

But tought what CRPG could mean but was not sure, and didn't want to embarrass me more to understand it wrong.

Well I'm newbie in this case.

And once more... Don't laught at me... [img]smile.gif[/img]
Why would we laugh at you Olli? We´ve all been down that road. Took me ages to learn IIRC. Since I use roman numbbers in my nick I thought it was "2RC" and that made no sense at all in the differetn posts I saw it in [img]smile.gif[/img]