Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal

Old 04-24-2007, 10:05 PM   #1
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

Okay planning to start with a new game and I would love to make for the first time a bounty hunter dualed to a mage.

My biggest question would be, what is the ideal level to dual class from a bountry hunter to a mage? I know there are very nice high level thief abilities such as "Use all items" when you reach ToB but is it possible to access them at lvl 19 (since I want to be lvl 21 with my mage to reuse my thieving abilities of course!)??

Catch me if you can..
Harkoliar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 11:11 PM   #2
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

just wondering, i completly forgot what is the highest lvl possible again? was it 40 for TOB standards?

edit: after alittle searching, I found out that 8million exp possible for the highest level class.

using the table I found here:
http://www.sorcerers.net/Games/BG2/xp_tables.php#3

I can have a level 22 thief (bounty hunter possible?) dual to a level 24 mage. Would this be correct?

[ 04-24-2007, 11:26 PM: Message edited by: Harkoliar ]

Catch me if you can..
Old 04-24-2007, 11:30 PM   #3
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Hmm... someone once did a chart of the Bounty Hunter's traps progression, but I can't find the post now. If you want to go for the maximum possible, it would be a Lvl-22/24 BH->Mage. I don't think it is the "ideal" level though, and information on this particular Dualclass is rare.

Cheers.
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 11:45 PM   #4
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

figures.. sadly. im doing the old method of try and test using shadow keeper first [img]tongue.gif[/img] .

What level does the thief obtain high level abilities? Level 24?

edit: ok level 24 does achieve HLA thief abilities but I dont believe you can achieve level 25 mage (dual) can you with a lvl 24 thief?

[ 04-25-2007, 12:16 AM: Message edited by: Harkoliar ]

Catch me if you can..
Old 04-25-2007, 07:31 AM   #5
Armen
Symbol of Cyric

is this a solo or a party game? i shudder at the thought of really high-level duals with a party

my $0.02 on thief dualling is there's a lot to be said for dualling before your level-related trap progression changes from poison damage to fire damage - that might be level 15 but i'm not sure - there was a post with the list in but i can't find it

15 (or so) also gives you a chance to get sufficient thief skills imo
Armen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 07:52 AM   #6
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

i have come to the conclusion that dualing from a bounty hunter to a mage at high level would force me to sacrifice HLA abilities of the thief.

So rather than getting awesome abilities of the bounty hunter for mid levels, i would just instead use a vanilla mage/thief mix and obtain the HLA abilities of both mage and thief.

Of course I was thinking because of using the no exp limiter patch, I would have taken the bounty hunter route. it may take too long [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Catch me if you can..
Old 04-25-2007, 10:31 PM   #7
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

just a small update upon researching the skills of the bounty hunter.

the ideal for a bounter hunter to dual class into a mage is lvl 21/25

reasons would be that the best traps a bounty hunter can achieve before HLA is at lvl 21 (both thier specials and thier normal traps). Also the fact thier backstab multiplier and thier thaco would be at thier best. Because of the EXP limitations, you cannot hope to achieve HLA skills if you wish to pursue to be a mage so there is no need to level up higher than 21.

[ 04-25-2007, 10:36 PM: Message edited by: Harkoliar ]

Catch me if you can..
Old 04-26-2007, 04:22 AM   #8
Armen
Symbol of Cyric

if you just want to see what the traps are like and don't consider it cheating your could add the bounty hunter kit to your multi thief/mage using shadowkeeper
Armen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 01:39 PM   #9
Lark
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Quote:
Originally posted by Harkoliar:
the ideal for a bounter hunter to dual class into a mage is lvl 21/25

reasons would be that the best traps a bounty hunter can achieve before HLA is at lvl 21 (both thier specials and thier normal traps).
While it is true that the special traps of the bounty hunter get their last upgrade at level 21, it doesn't necessarily have to to be level 21 in your thief class, but level 21 in your active class, whatever it be.
A bountyhunter(2)->whatever(21) would still get maze traps.

Lark
Lark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 09:19 PM   #10
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

would it? I didnt know that would be possible.

also welcome to IW [img]smile.gif[/img]

Catch me if you can..