Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2002, 02:38 AM   #1
The Ornery One
Drow Warrior

Not the computer kind, the scurrying kind. Problem is that I had a pet mouse, until my son decided to try to show it to a friend of his. Edmond (the mouse) has been running loose ever since June!
At least Edmond hasn't gotten into the cabinets or any of my food. Although he has gotten into the cats food and the dog food.
My cats were indoors for a while, but even though they wouldn't take their eyes off him while he was in the aquarium, they completely ignore him now! Even when he's run across the floor right in front of them! I've put traps down with peanut butter for bait, but he hasn't gone in them. (The traps are those cube ones that don't hurt mice.) I've thought about getting glue traps, but they seem very messy. Does anyone have any other ideas for catching the little rodent? Annoying as he is, he's still a pet.
[img]graemlins/nibbles.gif[/img]
Old 10-25-2002, 02:55 AM   #2
Sorcerer Alex

Try placing a tall bucket, filled with yummy food in the middle of an open room (or close to where you think the mouse might be hiding). Then form a little ramp leading up into the bucket (small piece of wood or something). This way, the mouse'll hopefully smell the food, climb up the ramp, fall into the bucket of food and be trapped. It used to work with my hamster when I was little.

Old 10-25-2002, 03:04 AM   #3
StigTC

If you want to catch a mouse you should use meat as bait, that's really all I know.
One fine day in the middle of the night, two dead boys got up to fight, <br />Back to back they faced each other, drew their swords and shot each other. <br />The deaf policeman heard the noise, and came and shot those two dead boys. <br />If you don\'t believe this joke is true, ask the blind man, he saw it too!
Old 10-25-2002, 03:29 AM   #4
Moni

As "humane" as those glue traps claim to be, mice that get caught in them scream bloody murder and tear their own fur off trying to get out, not to mention that it can get in their eyes and mouths as they writhe around and attempt to free themselves (I've seen it happen).

The last mouse I caught in here was one the cats brought in unwounded and "lost". I found him walked across my foot here at my desk. I scared it under a bookcase and it stayed there for three days before it finally took the peanut butter bait so if your mouse is able to access other sources of food, forget the peanut butter in the trap...use potato chips (or cat or dog food).

Good Luck!

Old 10-25-2002, 03:39 AM   #5
Mouse
Ironworks Moderator

A couple of beers and a reasonably attractive woman always seems to work for me [img]graemlins/biglaugh.gif[/img]

Mouse
(Occasional crooner and all round friendly Scottish rodent)
Old 10-25-2002, 05:33 AM   #6
LennonCook
Jack Burton

Try reinstalling the drivers, then he won`t be able to move for how much he`s laughing. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-25-2002, 09:05 AM   #7
Davros
Takhisis Follower

Quote:
Originally posted by Mouse:
A couple of beers and a reasonably attractive woman always seems to work for me [img]graemlins/biglaugh.gif[/img]
I thought this guy might be your problem - I had the perfect solution too - spill beer on your carpet and wait for him to start licking it up. Then its just a wee swift kick in the happy sacks and you've caught yersel a moose
Old 10-26-2002, 06:10 PM   #8
The Ornery One
Drow Warrior

Arledrian: Haven't had a chance to try that one yet, but I will tonight.

StigTC: Guess you're right. Left my plate on the counter for a minute before throwing the leftovers to the cats, and a piece of chicken was several inches from the plate!

Moni: thanks for the information. After reading the instructions for for to remove the mouse from the trap, it sounded awful!

LennonCook: I don't know what a chauffeur has to do with it, but I wouldn't mind having one! [img]graemlins/beigesmilewinkgrin.gif[/img]

And as for using beer...any alcohol in my house doesn't get served to anyone but me! [img]tongue.gif[/img]

[ 10-26-2002, 06:20 PM: Message edited by: The Ornery One ]
Old 10-26-2002, 07:20 PM   #9
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

I was gonna suggest first finding where it is has made its nest. You could also use water as a trap believe it or not. Do you have any drippy faucets? If not maybe your pets' water dishes are what it is drinking from. If you could find a way to get their water dishes somewhere the mouse could not get to, but your pets could (although that could prove very difficult), then you could put a little water cup in the trap.

I dunno, just a suggestion [img]smile.gif[/img] Unfortunately I've had experience with mice, they only come out when you aren't looking or are asleep, and know a lot of tactics to make them seem nonchalant (cats like things that run, but may ignore something that isn't).

Reality Show Recaps
Old 10-26-2002, 07:24 PM   #10
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

annoying as it is, it sounds so cute! lol, you know what I would suggest?

"Fetch, good doggy." nah, not that. I would just try to case it all around the house... but thats just me. I really dont know. try Lady Z's suggestion.