Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > NWN Mod: Escape from Undermountain
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-06-2004, 09:28 AM   #1
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Haven't done it in a while, so maybe it'll make it smoother or faster. I dunno if it WILL, but you may see a small increase.

I'm searching out the right hardware for the new server to come, and pricing it. Many have asked how much it would cost, and I should have a figure soon.

(Just looking around for the best prices and hardware)

I'm thinking about the following:

Intel 3.4Ghz CPU
Intel MB with PCI Express and Native SATA
2 WB Raptor 10,000rpm drives to raid 0 -- These babies will make NWN SCREAM!
1 or 2 gig of ram

I have the rest, so if anyone has some good sites and prices YOU know of, post here [img]smile.gif[/img]

The Great Escape Studios - 2D/3D Modeling
www.tgeweb.com & Ziroc's Facebook Page
Visit My Flickr Photo Album
Ziroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 09:34 AM   #2
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Cool! I hope the defrag helped.. will have to check it out if I get time tonight.

and YAY! (about the checking costs for new server) Let us know what it comes to, Dan. [img]smile.gif[/img]

I think it will be so cool to get the server up to where you think it will 'scream' in the Undermountain! *excited jumping around*

[ 12-06-2004, 09:35 AM: Message edited by: Cloudbringer ]
Old 12-06-2004, 01:40 PM   #3
Nachtrafe
Red Wizard of Thay

www.zipzoomfly.com is what Cloudy and I have used for pretty much all of our PC parts. The prices are comparable with pretty much anyone else out there and we have always had a good experience. They are prompt with delivery times, and if there is a problem they are prompt about fixing it.

The only negative thing we've dealt with with them is that you need to be sure to have the parts sent to somewhere where you know someone will be home during the day. They dont tell UPS to require a signature. :s

Another site I've heard good things about(never used though) is www.newegg.com A lot of people I know have used them and have had good luck.

Cant wait to try out the newly defragged server, and am really looking forward to a time when we can use the screaming new server. [img]smile.gif[/img]

"May the wings of liberty never lose a feather!"
Nachtrafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 04:20 PM   #4
T-D-C
Ironworks Moderator

Excellent to hear that your looking for the upgrades to the server. Let me know if I can help.

As to speeding up the server I couldn't test it for you as the server appears to be down. Not sure if its linked to the defrag though.
Old 12-06-2004, 05:32 PM   #5
Stormymystic
Knight of the Rose

well, I went to all of the normal lagging spots earlier, and although it still lags, it is not as bad as it was [img]smile.gif[/img] did not risk 11 though, becuase it overwhelms my comp and I have to restart the whole thing...so yeah it helped a bit.
Old 12-06-2004, 06:35 PM   #6
Bozos of Bones
Apophis

Hey, Ziroc, did you consider getting an Athlon 64 FX? And both Abit and Asus announced they'll soon be releasing PCI Express MBOs for the 64, so I think that should roll real nice for the server.
Old 12-06-2004, 09:19 PM   #7
Animal
Gold Dragon

The SATA RAID with Raptors and a huge amount of RAM will be the best.

To be honest, I can't see the 3.4GHZ CPU or PCI-X doing much in a pure server. You'd be better of with dual Xeons.
Old 12-07-2004, 11:50 AM   #8
Nachtrafe
Red Wizard of Thay

What Animal said. With a server, RAM, and the ability to handle lots of functions at once, is the most important thing. I would imagine that dual Xeons, coupled with a couple of gigs of RAM, will make for an *incredibly* screaming machine, and, in the end, be about the same/perhaps a little cheaper, than going for a huge processor.

Just my [img]graemlins/twocents.gif[/img]

"May the wings of liberty never lose a feather!"
Nachtrafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 02:48 PM   #9
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Yeah, I was also thinking of a dual Xeon, but I don't know if NWN Server app can run on it... Anyone know?

It'll be best, because I could set one CPU to EfU and one for Ironworks and the Email Portal.

BTW, I have been a customer at newegg for a long time--they have amazing prices. That is the site I was pricing hardware at. [img]smile.gif[/img]

I wonder how much a dual Xeon 3.0 Ghz is?

The Great Escape Studios - 2D/3D Modeling
www.tgeweb.com & Ziroc's Facebook Page
Visit My Flickr Photo Album
Ziroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 12:39 AM   #10
Animal
Gold Dragon

You'd have to run 2003 Server or some such that supports dual proc, but I see no reason why it shouldn't even though it won't take advantage of the dual processors. The NWNSERVER process has a command-line option 'CPU=x'. Where x is the CPU, you want to limit NWN to. 0 for the 1st CPU, 1 for the 2nd, etc.

You could then dedicate the website and e-mail to the second CPU?