Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)

Old 11-26-2007, 06:56 AM   #1
Trogdor
Manshoon

Default Mass Effect

Well, I finally finished it.

I'll just say that I have played MANY games in my time, and find it very hard for anything to stand out these days, but Mass Effect is certainly close, if not the best game I have ever completed/played. I felt like I was really making changes based on my actions and there is just so much to go through in the game.

I won't ramble on, but surely many of you are playing it, what did you think of it?

My first game was as a renegade, but I think I will go back now and play through as a goody-two-shoes.

Shoop Da Whoop!
Linux - People aren't really interested in building their car from scratch either.
Trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 08:41 AM   #2
Iron Greasel
Fzoul Chembryl

Default Re: Mass Effect

What's it like? I've heard that it's good, but I've also heard that it's just a first-person shooter, a genre I don't really play, with few exeptions.
Old 11-27-2007, 12:21 AM   #3
CerebroDragon
Red Wizard of Thay

3D SuperBall Champion Asteroids Champion Battle of Helms Deep Champion Moon Patrol Champion Pac Man Champion
Spy Hunter Champion Super Mario Mushroom Champion

It looks too much like a glorified enhancement of Kotor meets Halo for me to be really interested - but I've a penchant to at least sample every game BioWare has anything to do with, so I'll no doubt take a look one day.

For some good in-depth discussion and humour on the game, (plus other frivolous tangents) check out some of the current threads over at the RPGcodex:

http://www.rpgcodex.net/phpBB/viewto...er=asc&start=0

If you get a chance, be sure to throw some arguments their way as to why you found the game to be so brilliant.
- Brilhasti Ap Tarj
CerebroDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 01:28 AM   #4
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Arrow Re: Mass Effect

It's really great, I'm on my second play through already.

I liked the storytelling, the ingame cinematics were greats, I liked the dialogs and the choices they gave me, I liked how great the characters looked, the game was made so well at time it felt like I was in an interactive movie. Once I got strong enough I also had lots of fun with the combats.

But one of the weakness of the game is the uncharted planets part. Not because it wasn't fun, but because it wasn't more like the main storyline missions. It's like you're playing two games. This really really great and epic 10-15 hours long game, then the rest, that I'm not too sure how to qualify. Basically all you do when you want to get off the main storyline is visit these random systems in your buggy, survey a mineral source, salvage a crashed probe, then visit a really small station or building for a side quest. No real dialogs, no cinematic storytelling, no intense action. I understand that uncharted planets should be pretty desert, I have nothing against that gameplay and I wouldn't want to see it go. It's just that the main game is so much better and there were not enough optional content that were like it.

Honestly I'm not too surprised by that, I played Kotor and that was pretty short too. Visit an handful of planets and you're done. You could probably do the whole thing in a couple of hours if you wanted. It's exactly the same way with Mass Effect.

So really I'd say the game was too short. It's really more a 15 hours long game with an extra 20-25 hours of random exploration. It's one of my favorite games. I really recommend it and plan to replay it much, but it was way too short.

Edit: While it's easy to compare to Kotor since both games follow the formula of having you visit different planets to learn what's going on and stop the evil guys, I'd say the two games are different enough when it come to the plot and gameplay. Personally I liked Mass Effect better than Kotor. As for the fighting, it does take a while getting used to, but it's not really like a real shooter. If you're not too good at shooters you can pause the game to targets enemies and start skills. You can't actually shoot in that mode, but you can put your target over the enemy, unpause and start shooting so you don't have to keep up with the enemies in real time.

Last edited by Luvian; 11-28-2007 at 01:38 AM.
Luvian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 01:49 AM   #5
Kyrvias
Lord Ao

It's funny though. You really, and I'll be comparing them to D&D, don't have the usual classes. You have Fighter (Soldier), Mage (Adept), and different Mage (Engineer). And combinations of those three

Conversations with people are like cutscenes, and the dialogue choices are very intuitive. And pretty funny, to boot. Voice acting is top notch, as well as the facial animations. Those are amazing.

Once you get the hang of combat, it'll seem like second nature. You can get behind cover, and either use abilities, or fire, from that point. At any time during combat, you can pause the screen and issue orders to your squadmates. Who are, I admit, sometimes as dumb as a rock (Getting stuck in random places on the map, being unable to walk around walls, etc.). And it seemed you leveled up way too often. 60 is the cap.

That said, get it. Buy it now. It's a trilogy, and it's made by Bioware, so it can only get better!
Kyrvias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 04:34 AM   #6
Vaprakgruumsh
Drizzt Do'Urden

I probably couldn't say enough good things about Mass Effect. I am currently on my third play through (doing it for achievements currently!) - but my first play through was what I wanted to do. Second was to unlock a few achievements, and third to unlock insanity mode. And will go through it on insanity when I beat the game. It's just THAT fun. Sometimes the exploring of planets (for resources and what not) can be a wee bit boring, since you're usually just driving through terrain - but the rest of the game more than makes up for that - in spades.

Best game I have played in a very, very, very, very long time.
Old 01-02-2008, 07:49 AM   #7
Sir Goulum
John Locke

Mass Effect is the most fun game I've played since Baldur's Gate 2. Easiest way for me to describe it lol.
Sir Goulum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 03:01 PM   #8
Trogdor
Manshoon

It's an awesome game, i'm trying to finish my second play through a second time as good but i'm getting held up by Crysis

Shoop Da Whoop!
Linux - People aren't really interested in building their car from scratch either.
Trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 06:55 PM   #9
Kyrvias
Lord Ao

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Goulum View Post
Mass Effect is the most fun game I've played since Baldur's Gate 2. Easiest way for me to describe it lol.
That description is more true than you could ever know.
Kyrvias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 07:40 PM   #10
Marty4
Symbol of Cyric

Mass Effect is the best single-player game I've ever played, and I haven't even beaten it yet (just reached Ilos).

The gameplay is great. As a Vanguard, which is the hybrid soldier/adept, I have access to both the third-person shooter aspect of the game (comparable, somewhat, to Gears of War) and the classic RPG magic-style goodies. I like to combine skills for good effects in the heat of battle, and Mass Effect really delivers here. I can use my Lift power to raise an enemy out from behind their cover, then use my Marksmanship ability for a temporary boost to pistol accuracy while I gun down the hapless foe, or I could use my Throw power to knock an enemy down and finish them off with my shotgun.

I would consider ME to be a shooter, but not at the intensity level of, say, Halo 3. It requires better reflexes and aim than Baldur's Gate or other similar RPGs, but has enough of a strategy element to be playable to great effect by people who would generally stay away from a shooter.
Marty4 is offline   Reply With Quote