Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 10-02-2003, 08:51 AM   #51
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by pritchke:
quote:
Originally posted by Aelia Jusa:
Congratulations, Pritchke! What a great story, and it must have been so romantic for your fiancee [img]smile.gif[/img]

I'm wondering, is it the norm for guys to present their fiancee with a ring when proposing? I would actually be quite irritated if I had a fiance-to-be and he just got me a ring without me getting to help pick it out! Not only would it be really fun to go ring shopping together and say to all the jewellers 'we're engaged - we're looking for a ring' , but what if he picked out one I wasn't too fond of? How awful to say 'yes I'd totally love to marry you, bu can we return the ring?' - and yet I'd want to, since I'd be wearing it for the rest of my life and would want to be totally happy with it!
Ah! But we did go ring shopping together in August. She picked out the ring she wanted. She just didn't know when I would propose as I told her I would like to do something really nice and since money was a little short it may be many months before I could propose. She doesn't get the ring until I decide to ask her. She knew I would purpose just not when. It is becoming more common for people to ring shop together but they can still make it a surprise and magical. [/QUOTE]That's what my fiance and I did. We knew he'd propose one day, but he wanted to be set in a job out here and to afford the ring before making it official.

He showed me pictures in catalogs and asked what I liked but then told me he wanted to pick the ring, himself, only he wanted some pointers on what I liked and didn't like! LOL, he even had to ask my best friend if I was being honest or just being 'nice' when I said I like the plainer designs best! LOLOL! The answer is..I do prefer plainer ring designs for an engagement ring...thus the simple solitaire marquise I ended up with...and it was JUST what I would have chosen if I'd gone shopping with him!

[ 10-02-2003, 08:53 AM: Message edited by: Cloudbringer ]
Old 10-02-2003, 09:40 AM   #52
The Hierophant
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Quote:
Originally posted by Aelia Jusa:
The thing is, I'd mostly be irritated if he presented me with a ring along with the proposal because it would show me that he actually didn't know me very well at all if he thought that I would appreciate that more than picking out my own ring.
That's a nuance of your individual personality, which is fine. But I think the established tradition is more that the proposee wears the proposer's ring (the one that they have picked out beforehand) as a means of showing they accept the proposal. It's more a utilitarian social badge than a piece of jewellery. At least that's my take on it.
But in your case Aelia I'm sure you and your future husband-to-be (if marriage is a life choice you do in fact choose to make) will have no problems sorting out the ring details together [img]smile.gif[/img] Make sure you get a goodun now won't you? (both ring and husband ).

[ 10-02-2003, 10:11 AM: Message edited by: The Hierophant ]
Old 10-02-2003, 10:39 AM   #53
pritchke
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

I have a friend who refuses to accept any ring with a price less than $10,000. To her the ring shows what she is worth. I think that is both absurd and bizarre but to each their own. She is not engaged by the way.
Old 10-02-2003, 05:04 PM   #54
Zuvio
Gold Dragon

Quote:
I have a friend who refuses to accept any ring with a price less than $10,000. To her the ring shows what she is worth. I think that is both absurd and bizarre but to each their own. She is not engaged by the way.

I recently watched the show 'Brides from hell' and it convinced me to enjoy this single (well not so single anymore but far from married), sane world a lot longer

Although being in love has a habit of degrading your sanity as well .... hmmmm, DEFCON 1 anyone?!
Old 10-02-2003, 07:55 PM   #55
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Oh geez, sorry but I think that's very petty and shallow! Although, it could just be that she's not so self-assured, still, that's sad!

To me, the ring was a symbol of my agreeing to share my life with Nacht and his committment to the relationship. Not my value as a person or wife-to-be! eef! [img]graemlins/wow.gif[/img]
Old 10-02-2003, 08:07 PM   #56
Stormymystic
Knight of the Rose

hope everything goes or went great, my husband proposed to me in a weird way, he bought a ring, put it in a toy safe, and wrapped it for christmas, I saw the ring, but thought it was a toy, my parents were both laughing, when I figured out was was happening, I freaked out, and kinda messed it up, but we have been married for 6 years now, going on 7, if I do not take him out with my frying pan first , yes, there is hard times, and there will always be hard times, but love and life are wotrh it