Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-2001, 01:07 PM   #1
Ryanamur
Fzoul Chembryl

Hi everyone, just wanted to introduce myself as I'm making a cross over from W&W. I'm especting to receive the games within the next week or so and I'm starting my "reading" period. Do you guys have "essential must read threads" for newbies or "Best Tips".

Thanks a million and I'm sure this will prove a wonderfull forum.

Ryanamur
Old 08-28-2001, 01:20 PM   #2
fckoln
Dungeon Master

IMHO, go into it w/o reading much... look at the manuals and what not, but I think if you have problems, stop back and look around or post your question(s). Are you starting w/ BG1 or BG2? That is just me, I like to try to figure it out on my own, then when I'm stuck and it is no longer fun, then I ask and look.

If I were you, I'd start with BG1 and then build your player from scratch - others may disagree w/ me though...
Old 08-28-2001, 01:42 PM   #3
Skydracgrrl
Silver Dragon

Depends what kind of player you are. DO you like to cheat, with walk throughs? Do you like to figure it out on your own, like fckoln, and ask for help only when your stuck? Or do you like to get advice on stuff before you start? Personally, in answer to fckoln's opinion, I don't think you HAVE to start with BG1, I dont even own it, only BG2. But that's just my opinion, so... btw, this is the BEST forum!!!! this is the only forum i go to, besides TeamBG.com, but i only go there for creating tips. ^_^;; Anywayz, welcome to the forum! You'll enjoy it here! Need any help on anything, just ask away! Luckily for u, since you are familiar with W&W and related topics, you know the basics. that makes it aLOT easier.

------------------
Quote:
What power would Hell have if those imprisoned there could not dream of Heaven?
My Website!
Old 08-28-2001, 02:01 PM   #4
Ryanamur
Fzoul Chembryl

I'm starting with BG2 and never played BG. I don't like to cheat but I don't like to create (or recruit) useless character either. I'm not really interested about walktroughs. I'm more interested in character generation and good parties (I'm more of a magic dependent user). Anyway, I'll read the manual and dive into the game cold. Just wondering if there's any "usefull info" for newbies without being spoilers.

Thanks

[This message has been edited by Ryanamur (edited 08-28-2001).]
Old 08-28-2001, 06:36 PM   #5
fckoln
Dungeon Master

I really like the aspect of having my char *grow* up from BG1 to BG2 and into TOB. I would recommend that, but you don't need to do it that way. I love the magic aspect of the game also. I can't think of anything to start you off on... good luck and have fun (I have to go to La Mas (sp) or this would be longer...) just wanted to get back to you.

late
Old 08-28-2001, 07:41 PM   #6
Tananda
Elminster

Hello, Ryanamur! Glad to see you here
If the information about classes and party's formation is what you are looking for, try to search for the topics like "Best Class", "Who Is In Your Party", "Best Party", "Mages", "Kensai/Mage" or something like these. Usually there are a lot of such threads, since there is NO best class or best party - each one has its own advantages and disadvantages. So, just look around - and I'm sure, you'll find what you need.
It is really difficult to have something like BEST TIPS regarding classes&parties, because each player has his own style and preferences.
Hope to see you more often here
Have fun with BG2 and good luck!

Tanda

Old 08-29-2001, 12:11 AM   #7
zNOVAz
The Magister

Its a pretty easy game to pick up on, just play it for a while and you will know whats going on in no time.
Old 08-29-2001, 12:27 AM   #8
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Hi, Ryanamur!

Good to see you here! I hope you enjoy BG2...it's been fun, although it was a COLLOSSAL learning curve for me coming off of 1st-person games. Anyway, looking forward to chatting with you here as well.

------------------
Old 08-29-2001, 05:41 AM   #9
Rikard

There's nothing like a "useless" character
Although i should recommand you not to start with a sorcerer as this requeres a lot of knowlegde of the spells

If you at some time deside to play again a sorcerer is a good choise

------------------

OMG I have no Arms
Wait I don't have a body either

Old 08-29-2001, 12:00 PM   #10
Ryanamur
Fzoul Chembryl

Hi Saz and Tananda,

I'm sure I too will have a pretty steep learning curve . I'm sure you'll see me around "quite a bit" . Anyway, thanks for the advices and I will stay clear of sorcerers at first.