Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 08-15-2001, 06:32 PM   #11
Ace Flashheart
Manshoon

Hmmmm, my advice... run away like a scared little girl. If you run out of 'I''s light of sight when he is casting a spell the deamons will follow and hopefully Irenicus (still casting spells) will not. Then it's just a case of killing the deamons (which if you can't do your better off starting again) and then healing up your party members for the final battle.

You will need to get his to use all his spells before you pile in to attack him so I suggest using your party member with the highest magic resistance or a priest with lots of sanctuary spells as a decoy for him to harmlessly fire spells off at (you will need to be quick with those sanctuarys, cast them as soon as he starts casting) when he starts to chase after your decoy run the spell target (priest/paladin with carsomyr/beserker) back to the rest of your party (who are beefed up with spells) and finish him off with a pile on, remembering to pull out anyone who is nearly dead so Irenicus has to switch target and then you can send the injured party member back into the fray again.

[This message has been edited by Ace Flashheart (edited 08-15-2001).]
Old 08-15-2001, 07:31 PM   #12
trux

If you've exhausted all possibilities and no matter what you try you just can't seem to kill Jon, and you've been at it for a long time with no success, you might want to consider the possibility that your party is too low level.

If your magic users can't use or don't have some specific spells that they definetely need (defense breaching spells, true sight, etc.) it can make this fight damn near impossible. After all, if you can't tear down Jon's defenses then you can't harm him in any way.

------------------
a bunch of long hairs.
trux
Old 08-15-2001, 09:24 PM   #13
NiamhFoxling
Dungeon Master

Thanks for all the advice and whatnot, you gave me a few ideas that I tried out and will try out a few more times before giving up. Then I'll just cry a bit over the fact I was silly and didn't keep a pre-elven city version of this party saved. Back to the drawing board and alla that.

But thanks again, and even if I don't have better luck this time, I'll definately have better luck NEXT time.

------------------
Playing the cutest li'l Chaotic characters since 1996.
Old 08-15-2001, 09:58 PM   #14
deathknight
Drow Warrior

Hmm your party sounds as if its a decent level. How do you not have better spells at your disposal? True sight is a level 6 mage spell and is the end all be all for solving invisible opponent problems. Ruby ray is level 7, pierce magic is level 6 (also very helpful since it bundles in some magic resistance lowering),breach is level 5 (and I don't see how one could finish the game without using this spell if you use any melee at all),and then secret word is level 4. Great for taking out mid level spell protections. lower resistance is level 5 and is great on monsters with magic resistance. level 15 or 16 chars should be able to cast all that stuff. buff spells like bless& chant are low level spells.
also if you are using like monster summoning or something for your summoned creatures I would recommend you look into some better spells. Aerial servent,invisible stalker or animate dead (if you are over level 15) I prefer over monster summoning spells. between aerie and jaihara (who can summon some big beefy elementals) you should have 5 huge skull crushing monsters. good summoned creatures will be the difference between an ogre firing a bow for like 6 damage or an aerial servent hitting for like 25 or 30 in melee(and tons tougher too).

Biggest important thing is you need to get rid of any defenses Jon has. take down his spell protections first thing and then breach him ASAP so he isn't protected by spells like stoneskin or mantle or something. your melee guys should be able to clean his clock then.

[This message has been edited by deathknight (edited 08-15-2001).]
Old 08-15-2001, 11:12 PM   #15
NiamhFoxling
Dungeon Master

I've never even SEEN a scroll for ruby ray, and as for True Sight, Aerie has it, but she's killed or injured while casting it. Every time. Weird and improbable, but true.

Is Aerial Servant better than summon Air Elemental? I can summon lesser air elementals, lesser fire elementals, level 2 & 3 monsters, spider spawn, wyvern, and efreet, as well as the wooldand creature- just none of them last long at all, even when they've been included in the radius protections.

Worse still, the Efreet and Wyvern turn on me half the time after a few moments of combat.

One of the reasons I've not used the pierce magic and breach spells much is they actually don't seem to do anything half the time. True things scroll a bit fast for me to keep up with when in the middle of combat, but I just got out of an attempt where I used Pierce Magic and Breach on Jon as soon as he was visible and it was possible to do so, but then all follow up spells still seemed to fizzle.

I'm having a hard time figuring out how I'm losing so much myself. I *do* either manage to lead Jon away from his demons or kill all the demons 96% of the time. 75-80% of the time I'm getting Jon down to 'Near Death', or at least 'Badly Injured', but it always ends the same- and I've yet to actually figure out what spell or attack he does to kill me. I'll be at 90 out of 100 hit points, and then dead in a blink.

Does being the Slayer automatically eat away at HP or something??
Old 08-15-2001, 11:22 PM   #16
Thrawn
The Magister

that only affect you, it don't affect johnny boy he gets huge regenerative ability when he's the slayer, but when ure the slayer you lose health slowly
Old 08-15-2001, 11:26 PM   #17
deathknight
Drow Warrior

Well a few spell casting tips for ya. Ruby ray is not 100% needed if you have pierce magic which works most of the time. As for true sight cast that before the fight starts. once per round it will dispell illusions until the spells duration is up. do that right before the fight starts and it will continue to dispell throughout the entire combat. As for spells like pierce magic and breach you will see messages like Jon Irenicus - spell protections removed or something like that when it effects him. The thing is you need to make sure the spell you are casting can affect him. When combat starts and you see spells like spell shield, or globe of invulnerability you need to make sure whatever spells you cast can affect the spells he has up (often you need to cast something else. before casting breach or the breach will not work).
As for summonded creatures Aerial servants are certainly better than lesser elementals. Wyverns and efreets are not awful but you will get a long duration from the servants and stalkers. monster summoning 2 and 3 and woodland beings just doesn't cut it for a combat like this. you only have 5 creatures you can have and with huge demons pounding on em you need stuff that can take a beating. if you can't summon all the big stuff cast animate dead with a level 15 or higher character and you get greater skeletons. greater skeletons are very tough and have an extremly high magic resistance. Under normal fights I like to mix the skeletons and the aerial servants. against mages I like to load up on the skeletons.
oh another thing. you may have issues casting spells against invisible opponents and lose the message it gives in all the scrolling. if you target a spell at Jon and he goes invis before you actually cast it then the casting will fail. this is why true sight rocks so much cuz every time he goes invis it dispells it(which I think he does alot. Most mages tend to have stuff like mislead in their contigencies or spell triggers).

another thing you may want to do in preperation is buff up against fire damage if you are taking alot of that from the demons. and ofc don't forget stoneskins and ironskins for druids and mages (its sorta stating the obvious there but it makes an enourmous difference so it bears mentioning)
Old 08-16-2001, 12:43 AM   #18
floyd
Zhentarim Guard

Hmm, odd. I had no trouble whatsoever wasting Irenicus. I don't think anyone in my party even got hurt badly. I'm not sure the makeup of your party, but I would advise getting your tanks to waste the demons first. They can be hella annoying if you are casting spells. Yes, summoning creatures for this will help. I would summon as many aerial servants as you have, and then get a few lesser fire/air elementals in there as well. Once you have defeated the demons, Irenicus teleports around like a scared girl. Just true sight him and then pierce magic and breach him and send in the tanks. If all else fails, turn into the slayer and destroy everyone. You just lose 2 reputation, who cares?
Old 08-16-2001, 04:07 AM   #19
Hayashi
Silver Dragon

Try lowering the game difficulty to the easiest level. That may make it a bit easier. Better to swallow your pride than to restart the whole game.
I honestly think your party is too low level, especially the spell casters. Level 13? You missed a lot of quests, didn't you?
I am at Chap 6 and just finished with Bodhi. My party levels are 20 for my kensai, 18 for Keldorn and Minsc, about 14/14 for Jaheira and Aerie, and 7/14 for Imoen.

------------------
"Butt-kicking for goodness!" - Minsc
"Cities always teem with evil and decay. Let's give it a good shake and SEE WHAT FALLS OUT!!" - Minsc
Old 08-16-2001, 04:10 AM   #20
Hayashi
Silver Dragon

<>

[This message has been edited by Hayashi (edited 08-16-2001).]