Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 12-29-2004, 02:32 PM   #1
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

I bought this keyboard yesterday.

It has alot of good stuff to it, but also some negatives. I was hoping to find out how to do a couple things from one of you smart ones. [img]smile.gif[/img]

The Good:
It has one-touch buttons that short-cut you to various things like favorite URLs, My Documents folder, opens Outlook, messenger, my pics, my music, etc...and also has a slider button for zooming. Not to mention it has the quietest keys of any in the store. It is not a wireless, because I did not want the hassle of a battery. They cost too much, anyway.

The Bad: I am not used to the design, especially the tilt. Even tilted, it is more flat than my old cheap one, so my fingers get more work and I make more mistakes in typing, having to type slower because of this. I hope to get used to it soon.

Now for the reason I have to ask you all something. I have two buttons that I cannot use, the short cut keys that open "my pics" and "my music." I know that XP comes with these very folders under the My documents heading...but I do not have my music and pics there. In fact, I deleted those folders. I have my pics on the E drive and the music on the D drive. This stuff is in their own folders on these drives. What I cannot do is make the short cut button point to those folders. I even renamed them exactly what they are looking for, but they will not find the folders. What am I doing wrong?

Nevermind...I figured it out. It just took a minute to think about it.

[ 12-29-2004, 02:58 PM: Message edited by: Larry_OHF ]
Old 12-29-2004, 02:55 PM   #2
Stormymystic
Knight of the Rose

here is some advice on the tilting...get something that is the hieght you want your keyboard to be angled at, and slide it under the back part. it does not have to be very high to make a difference.
Old 12-29-2004, 02:59 PM   #3
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Good point.

I guess there's a reason I keep you around afterall!
Old 12-29-2004, 03:03 PM   #4
Stormymystic
Knight of the Rose

Quote:
Originally posted by Larry_OHF:
Good point.

I guess there's a reason I keep you around afterall!
I thought it was because I was easy to pick on? oh well, any reason to be kept on is a good reason...
Old 12-29-2004, 05:31 PM   #5
LennonCook
Jack Burton

Wow, more bloated keyboards
Old 12-29-2004, 05:54 PM   #6
Bozos of Bones
Apophis

Hehe, I bought meself the Executive Edition 2.0 keyboard and mouse just a tenday ago, and I'm muy happ with the product. It's wireless, because rechargable batteries are the only thing it needs, just 5 AAs. I've had no problems using the Microsoft Keyboard mapping system, the only thing that bugs m is that I can0t disable the Sleep button.
Anyways, Try going to the folder you want, copy the path, and paste it directly into the target field of the key mapping ... thingy.
About the tilt, however banal it might seem, Stormy's suggestion is the only way to go now... too bad the tilts aren't scalable, I've seen such keyboards a few years back and never again..
Old 12-29-2004, 06:01 PM   #7
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Oh! All those flashy lil buttons! [img]smile.gif[/img]

Hell, I still use my Keyboard from 1991! An old lol, Packard bell if you would believe THAT! (They sucked ass as a pc maker) but I love it because it has the normal set of keys, and ZERO &*^(^ windows keys! ugh, I hate those. MS rewritting KB's is bad. [img]smile.gif[/img]

I've used this KB from 1991, used it on Prodigy the old online service, learned DOS, learned C++, and all my graphics programs on it... it's like a freaking wonder of the world. lol!! Heck, even the LED's all work! (knock on plastic)

And I've kept is in perfect looking condition too--looks new except for the arrow keys ink is kinda faded--which I fixed, and every year, I pull all the keys off, and clean the sucker. That is some crazy dedication. (crazy) [img]smile.gif[/img]

Oh yeah-- same KB I played DOOM 1, Eye of the Beholder, Goldbox games.. ahh.. all the original Quake games, Duke Nukem, Crystal Caves and all those originals.. sorry, flashbacks here..

[ 12-29-2004, 06:05 PM: Message edited by: Ziroc ]

The Great Escape Studios - 2D/3D Modeling
www.tgeweb.com & Ziroc's Facebook Page
Visit My Flickr Photo Album
Old 12-29-2004, 06:22 PM   #8
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Damn Ziroc, you make it sound like I just traded in my old boring keyboard for a new, hot, younger super model with all the right curves and bigger...buttons...

Uh...woah...I think I did! What a lecher I am!

Old 12-29-2004, 06:50 PM   #9
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Oh come on, I'm just playing with ya! [img]smile.gif[/img] It just got me thinking about my old ass keyboard.. damn thing is ancient! [img]smile.gif[/img]

The Great Escape Studios - 2D/3D Modeling
www.tgeweb.com & Ziroc's Facebook Page
Visit My Flickr Photo Album
Old 12-29-2004, 07:08 PM   #10
T-D-C
Ironworks Moderator

Yeah I need a new keyboard as well. I got a wireless (one of the first old ones that is like the size of a laptop keyboard)

Also want to get a new monitor a flat screen hopefully.