Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 11-07-2001, 03:12 PM   #21
Grojlach
Zartan

quote:
Originally posted by Ronn_Bman:

It would be cool if there was a way to play P&P D&D online.

Yep... Closest thing to it that I know of is just playing D&D in message board style, but that's only interesting if you don't mind slow evolving stories, making a number of posts/actions a day - depending on what the players have arranged with the DM of course. Good thing about it is that people won't have to organize long playing sessions if they don't want it, and players don't have to match agenda's to see when they could arrange one. But if you're looking for the "feeling" of pnp D&D gaming on the Internet, with the same atmosphere and speed as the real thing, it's not easy to find something like that.
Anyway, if playing D&D in message board style sounds interesting, gimme a signal and I'll be glad to give you more info about it. [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 11-07-2001: Message edited by: Grojlach ]

Old 11-07-2001, 03:27 PM   #22
Morgeruat
Jack Burton

quote:
Originally posted by Grojlach:

Yep... Closest thing to it that I know of is just playing D&D in message board style, but that's only interesting if you don't mind slow evolving stories, making a number of posts/actions a day - depending on what the players have arranged with the DM of course. Good thing about it is that people won't have to organize long playing sessions if they don't want it, and players don't have to match agenda's to see when they could arrange one. But if you're looking for the "feeling" of pnp D&D gaming on the Internet, with the same atmosphere and speed as the real thing, it's not easy to find something like that.
Anyway, if playing D&D in message board style sounds interesting, gimme a signal and I'll be glad to give you more info about it. [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 11-07-2001: Message edited by: Grojlach ]

well, i'm always interested in gaming, as long as everyone uses integrity, ie no (or at least very few fudged die rolls), and assuming i could get away with bringing my books to work.
Old 11-07-2001, 03:56 PM   #23
Grojlach
Zartan

quote:
Originally posted by Morgeruat:

well, i'm always interested in gaming, as long as everyone uses integrity, ie no (or at least very few fudged die rolls), and assuming i could get away with bringing my books to work.

Well, like I said, it depends on the DM. And example of rules used to avoid messing with die rolls: characters are rolled up with a fixed number of points a player can distribute over the ability skills and the DM does *all* the in-game dice rolls, including for hit points; so if the DM is integer, so will the game. [img]smile.gif[/img]
For a place to host online pnp games in message board style, I will refer to the "gaming project" link in my signature, a side project of another message board specifically used for role-playing using core rules, or core rules changed by the DM. You could go over there and put a request in the "Game Request Forum", or you could try to assemble a party at Ironworks and choose a DM from here (if you're more comfortable with that, and it's perhaps more fun to assemble a party consisting out of people you know at least a little bit), and then request for a category at the board I mentioned to play at. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-07-2001, 05:04 PM   #24
Nanobyte
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

I'm not sure if this was mentioned, but try looking for the Psionic Handbook. Very useful if you would like to better understand Mind Flayers, Illithid, ect. They also have a few PC and NPC's in there, one of which I favor greatly. Look into this book, I find it very useful.
Old 11-07-2001, 11:18 PM   #25
Black Knight
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

quote:
Originally posted by Neb:
Does everyone here play 3rd edition? Is noone playing 2nd edition any more? From what I've seen of 3rd edition so far I prefer 2nd edition.

My group uses 2nd Edition Skills and Powers - it's like a middle step between 2nd and 3rd (skills) and the powers just make it interesting. My Half-Orc Gladiator (named NotanOrc) has the ability to Quick Silver for 2 hours a day and can make a Genetic Twin of Herself that last for 1 hour and has all the same items as you, but in a non-magical variety - funny thing is if the original dies, you BECOME the 2nd copy...

Anyways, I've tried the 3rd edition rules and I like the 2nd edition rules better. 3rd edition does have an answer for everything (roll the die) but it takes away from the DM job and bogs the game down...

BK, getting off his soapbox.
The Black Storm Cloud of the Night - Consort to a Queen- Champion of Truth, Justice and Cloudy's Way - Captain of the Knights of the Golden Dragons - Heart, Mind, and Soul- Newbie at Heart - ()xxxxxxxxxxxxx{}:::::::::::::::::::::>
Old 11-08-2001, 10:48 PM   #26
Debaser

quote:
Originally posted by Nanobyte:
I'm not sure if this was mentioned, but try looking for the Psionic Handbook. Very useful if you would like to better understand Mind Flayers, Illithid, ect. They also have a few PC and NPC's in there, one of which I favor greatly. Look into this book, I find it very useful.

Throughout all the years i've been playing D&D, i never really looked in to psionics or the psionics handbook. i kind of wish i had familiarized myself with how psionics work, because they are kind of crucial especially when your DMing and pitting players against demons and the like--it seems kind of cheap to completely ignore the psionic powers they have listed just because you're not familiar with how that all works, but that's what i've had to do in the past...
Old 11-08-2001, 11:14 PM   #27
ispq
Elite Waterdeep Guard

As many others have said here before, go get the Players Handbook, some paper, a pencil and a set of dice. You will then be quite ready to play D&D, provided you can find a DM. If you wish to be the DM, then you need simply get the Dungeon Masters Guide and the Monster Manual in addition to the previously mentioned items. Anything else is simply icing on the cake and no necessary to play.

3rd edition D&D is bar none the best class and level roleplaying game out there. While still keeping the major handicap of classes and levels, WoTC has managed to create an elegant and self consistent game system, something that previous editions of AD&D aspired to but never achieved.
Old 11-09-2001, 09:19 AM   #28
Sir Byronas
Mephistopheles

So, if I want to play D&D I have to be Dungeon Matser cause none of my friends plays D&D.
Old 11-09-2001, 03:48 PM   #29
Morgeruat
Jack Burton

quote:
Originally posted by Sir Byronas:
So, if I want to play D&D I have to be Dungeon Matser cause none of my friends plays D&D.

Yet.

My friends got me into it when we were all munchkins (never heard the word used till a long time after) and btw for those sick psycho's out there who actually know this trivia, I was born the same month and year that the anti-paladin information was first made available to the public in a certain D&D mag (no free advertising, but it's what the second "D" stands for). Anyone know this info?
Old 11-09-2001, 04:05 PM   #30
tehmpus
The Magister

Sir Byronis... D&D came out right after Tolkien's Lord of the Rings sparked the world with creativity and magics. Dungeon's and Dragons is an awesome game. But, it requires a great storyteller. The Dungeon Master, or DM is the one who does most of the work in the game, coming up with interesting stories and plots for the players to work through. The game system including Players Handbook, DM's Guide, and Monstrous Manual are all supliments in this epic quest for excitement and adventure. Baldur's Gate II is a mere shadow of the actual roleplaying game. If you get a great session going, you might look at the clock, and notice that 12 hours has gone by during your roleplaying. Where does the time go? I think a monster eats it!