Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-02-2003, 10:27 AM   #1
slicer15
Symbol of Cyric

My friend said when he got it that it wouldn't work on his PC, and when he went to Microsoft's website they said it was a problem with all copies of the game. Has anyone else had this problem? I would really want to know 'cos I want to get the game soon. Thanks!

PS:I'm not sure what the problem was. He said it wouldn't go into the game, and Microsoft told him to download a certain program that would fix the problem. But it didn't.
Old 01-02-2003, 09:12 PM   #2
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Sounds like a typical case of a "too early release". They wanted it on the market before the hollidays, so when you buy it, don't forget to download 4 or 5 patches, so the game actually works.
Old 01-02-2003, 09:36 PM   #3
Arvon
Unicorn

I've heard it's a good game and it has got some good reviews. I've also heard it's kinda buggy. But truly it's a rare game that one doesn't have to DL at least one patch. At least now you can do it on the web instead of waiting for a disk.

53.7% of all statistics are made up
Old 01-03-2003, 01:31 AM   #4
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

strange, Extended Play give it 4 star out of 5.
Old 01-03-2003, 06:54 AM   #5
Grungi
Banned User

i played it on a win98 and winxp machine and then another win98 machine then a winme machine all with zero problems of installation or initial setup whatsoever (was testing it with a friend over a network, his copies of the game) its a pretty good game, very age of empires 2 in graphics and gameplay, the differences are god powers and mythological beasts like minotaurs etc, but i ended up winning with bog standard foot soldiers, theres a few weird changes on the way you build things, you got dwarves for gold mines(or least with the race i was using you did) you get normal workers for trees and food (no stone in this one) and you get your soldiers to make all the buildings which is different too.

if you liked age of empires 2 then its worth getting, but like aoe2 it gets boring fast, even vs other humans, cos you can only do so much, and it really hasnt increased the scope like i hoped it would do (maybe expand the ages so once you get more modern all mythological creatures cease to exist and archers begin upgrading to handguns and then machineguns etc etc, im surprised they havent done this yet)

Only problem i did have was the win98 machine crashed a few times, but i suspect it to have dodgy memory so might not be the game, on my machine which i know is solid it didnt crash once.
Old 01-03-2003, 07:39 AM   #6
slicer15
Symbol of Cyric

Thanks for all the info guys! I'll risk buying it then as no one else has had this problem, so maybe they fixed that bug now.Oh, and Grungi, if you like an AoE style game where you can advance to modern age, and perhaps beyond, go for Empire Earth. It's basically age of empires where you can eventually get nukes and other modern weapons.
Old 01-03-2003, 10:25 AM   #7
Grungi
Banned User

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

dont mention empire earth [img]tongue.gif[/img] i been trying to order it since september through one of these goddamn mailorder companies (buy 5 books for 30p each, from then on buy 4 books for club commitment etc, you know the ones [img]tongue.gif[/img] ) anyhows i bought warcraft3 off them, then they sent a 2nd copy, both featured on the same invoice, i found out it was a replacement for empire earth, i complained (took half an hour to work through their phone system, machines and online forms before i finally found someone who replyed) they took the copy of warcraft3 back and im still waiting , i feel like they forgotten me, i have literally just tried to phone again (no luck this time) and submitted an angry email in their general direction, so ill be waiting on their response and hopefully getting my copy of empire earth asap!

so yeah empire earth is the kinda thing im looking for, but i dont know the control system or its gameplay, whereas i know aoe gameplay v.well.

*heads off in the direction of retarded mail order companies with a big axe, a big grin and a small tube of gherkins (dont ask, just dont ask [img]tongue.gif[/img] )*
Old 01-03-2003, 11:12 AM   #8
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Grungi, you might wanna reconsidder Empire Earth, it's one of the biggest dissapointments i had with games in 2002 imho. From the four available campaigns, two are worth playing, and the random map mode is totally screwed, it's impossible to beat the CPU. I expected a whole lot more from this game.
Old 01-03-2003, 05:09 PM   #9
slicer15
Symbol of Cyric

Really? I found it quite good (i don't have it, my cousin has it). Especially the skirmish option or whatever. I managed to advance pretty far and keep the CPU at bay. One bad thing is it takes AGES to advance through the ages unless you start a little further on. But it is long gameplay and I found it quite enjoyable, though I only started one skirmish game while at my cousin's, never finished it 'cos i didn't have time!