Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 01-31-2003, 03:45 PM   #1
Arledrian
Egyptian Goddess of the Dead

I never thought I would have to worry about my blood pressure; I'm very young and from what I can tell, in good shape. I never had it checked until yesterday. The results shocked me; I got 156 in systolic blood pressure, which really is very high.

Now because I've never had it checked before, or even really thought about it, I was wondering whether anybody here knows anything about blood pressure and what it could mean for me. Anybody have any ideas on what I could do to lower it? Or are there any illnesses I am particularly vulnerable to?

I'd appreciate anyone shedding some light on the matter, because it's really got me thinking.
Old 01-31-2003, 03:46 PM   #2
Rokenn
Galvatron

I'd say consult your doctor about it, that is pretty high, esp if you are young and in good shape.
Old 01-31-2003, 03:50 PM   #3
Attalus
Symbol of Bane

Untreated high blood pressure can destroy your kidneys, give you a stroke, or bring on a heart attack. I suggest you see your physician ASAP.
Old 01-31-2003, 03:55 PM   #4
Aelia Jusa
Iron Throne Cult

Tetris Champion
I think there's a number of things you can do dietary-wise that might help. My mum has high blood pressure and she has to lessen her salt and saturated fats. Especially salt I think. Tsk tsk, Alex, what have I told you about eating healthy [img]graemlins/idontagreeatall.gif[/img]
Old 01-31-2003, 03:59 PM   #5
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Drink more booze. Seriously, doctors and scientists are becoming more and more convinced of the benefits of alcohol's blood-thinning properties.
Old 01-31-2003, 04:08 PM   #6
Horatio
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Inprove your diet, cut out food which you feel dramatically increase salt in your blood (ie crisps, or 'chips' to Americans ). Get exercise, but not so much that you drive yourself into the ground. Also, try to eat less fatty foods.
There is truth in Timber's claim. Red wine is one of the best drinks.
Of course, this is just from my limited knowledge of high blood pressure, so you will definately want to consult a doctor on this.
Old 01-31-2003, 04:16 PM   #7
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by Timber Loftis:
Drink more booze. Seriously, doctors and scientists are becoming more and more convinced of the benefits of alcohol's blood-thinning properties.
In that case i must be a very very healthy person.
Old 01-31-2003, 04:21 PM   #8
Rokenn
Galvatron

Quote:
Originally posted by Horatio:
Inprove your diet, cut out food which you feel dramatically increase salt in your blood (ie crisps, or 'chips' to Americans ). Get exercise, but not so much that you drive yourself into the ground. Also, try to eat less fatty foods.
Of course, this is just from my limited knowledge of high blood pressure, so you will definately want to consult a doctor on this.
Actually the most recent studies show that any alchol will give the same results. The key is moderation. So a beer a day is just as good as a glass of wine a day. Though I think a glass of wine would have less carbs and calories then a regular beer.
Old 01-31-2003, 04:26 PM   #9
Horatio
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
Originally posted by Rokenn:
quote:
Originally posted by Horatio:
Actually the most recent studies show that any alchol will give the same results. The key is moderation. So a beer a day is just as good as a glass of wine a day. Though I think a glass of wine would have less carbs and calories then a regular beer.[/QUOTE]This could mean very good diets in the future
Old 01-31-2003, 04:34 PM   #10
Attalus
Symbol of Bane

Yes, and alcohol improves you VHL cholesterol, the "good" one. Mine is very high. Sodium restriciomn may or may not help, exercise definitely does.