Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 09-13-2001, 12:16 PM   #1
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Don't worry, nobody's in trouble.

That big lightbulb just went off in my brain and I just wanted to share a few things with you. First was this saying that I believe was first said by Voltaire:

I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

This is the cornerstone around which the concept of freedom of speech is built, as long as it is done with respect for others.

The second thing was:

Debating is not about winning or losing, it's about expressing a point of view and listening to another person expressing theirs. There is no shame in agreeing to disagree when the argument starts to get circular.

The third thing was:

Don't take things personally. Life's too short to get upset about another person's point of view.

I hope this helps at a time when all our emotions are frayed. But life goes on. Never underestimate the power of the human spirit to overcome adversity.

Overall, your conduct during this period makes me proud to be an Ironworker! I've never met a greater bunch of people in my life.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Memnoch (edited 09-14-2001).]
Old 09-13-2001, 12:19 PM   #2
skywalker
Banned User

Quote:
Originally posted by Memnoch:

That big lightbulb just went off in my brain and I just wanted to share a few things with you. First was this saying that I believe was first said by Voltaire:

I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

This is the cornerstone around which the concept of freedom of speech is built, as long as it is done with respect for others. The latter part of that statement is very important.

The second thing was:

Don't take things personally. Life's to short to get upset about another person's point of view.

I hope this helps at a time when all our emotions are frayed. But life goes on. Never underestimate the power of the human spirit to overcome adversity.

Overall, your conduct during this period makes me proud to be an Ironworker.

Yow! That blue text is hard on the eyes!

Memnoch, I agree 100%!

Mark

Old 09-13-2001, 12:19 PM   #3
Vampire

Quote:
Originally posted by Memnoch:

That big lightbulb just went off in my brain
Huuuuuhhhh (GASP) Quick I'll get my emergency 1000W lightbulb.
Is the colour pink okay?

Yeah I think we managed much better than some of the websites I ventured into...

------------------

• Winner of EPSRC 2000 Science Website[/list]
Old 09-13-2001, 12:21 PM   #4
Zeeke75
Baaz Draconian

Memnoch,

Very well said!!! I've been doing a lot of reading the last few days, and I've been amazed at how well everyone has keeping tempers and emotions in check, considering the devasting events that have taken place this week.

We each have our own opinions, and the great part about this site is that we can express them. I may not always agree, and I certainly don't expect everyone to agree with me, but it makes for a great conversation when not everyone DOES agree.

Keep it up, everyone!

------------------

Always listen to your heart, for it will never lead you astray.
Good guys CAN get the girl, if they only have a little patience!
Old 09-13-2001, 12:21 PM   #5
DragonMage
20th Level Warrior

Thanks. Being new here, I've gotten more than I asked for more than a few times when jumping in to the middle of a debate. Normally, I don't let anything anyone else says or believes bother me. I'm very tolerant. I'm having to "back out" of one thread, though, because I DID start taking it personally (even though I WELL understand it wasn't meant that way). I'm STILL shaken up over the events of the last few days and find myself crying for no apparent reason sometimes (as I'm doing now). Sorry guys, for a "newbie" (we gotta come up with another term for that - I hate that word) to get so upset. It's nothing anyone has done, I am just not up for a heated argument at this time. Thanks everyone for being understanding. I'll get in there with guns blazing again later. For now, I just gotta chill.

------------------
"Allright! We'll call it a draw."

"I'm INVINCIBLE! ... You're a LOONEY!"

Dare to dream. Be bold enough to try.

The day we stop learning is the day we start dying!(c)
Old 09-13-2001, 12:22 PM   #6
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by skywalker:
Yow! That blue text is hard on the eyes!

Memnoch, I agree 100%!

Mark

Sorry, that was a stuff-up. I forgot to close one of my HTML tags.

------------------
Old 09-13-2001, 12:26 PM   #7
Diogenes Of Pumpkintown
Banned User

Quote:
Originally posted by DragonMage:
Thanks. Being new here, I've gotten more than I asked for more than a few times when jumping in to the middle of a debate. Normally, I don't let anything anyone else says or believes bother me. I'm very tolerant. I'm having to "back out" of one thread, though, because I DID start taking it personally (even though I WELL understand it wasn't meant that way). I'm STILL shaken up over the events of the last few days and find myself crying for no apparent reason sometimes (as I'm doing now). Sorry guys, for a "newbie" (we gotta come up with another term for that - I hate that word) to get so upset. It's nothing anyone has done, I am just not up for a heated argument at this time. Thanks everyone for being understanding. I'll get in there with guns blazing again later. For now, I just gotta chill.

DragonMage, it is admirable that you can recognize such things in yourself and have the wisdom to withdraw a bit for the time being to cool down.

I am curious though, as to why you are withdrawing for now and what particular things made you so upset. I saw your comment to Silver Cheetah, and her posts, but don't understand what she said that could have made you so angry.

In any case, that is cool, whatever the reason. Don't answer this now if you don't feel like it

For whatever it is worth, I have liked you from the first time I saw your posts. You are an assett to the forum
Old 09-13-2001, 12:30 PM   #8
DragonMage
20th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Diogenes Of Pumpkintown:
DragonMage, it is admirable that you can recognize such things in yourself and have the wisdom to withdraw a bit for the time being to cool down.

I am curious though, as to why you are withdrawing for now and what particular things made you so upset. I saw your comment to Silver Cheetah, and her posts, but don't understand what she said that could have made you so angry.

In any case, that is cool, whatever the reason. Don't answer this now if you don't feel like it

For whatever it is worth, I have liked you from the first time I saw your posts. You are an assett to the forum
Thank you for that. You are one of the ones I've "butted heads" with.

Don't misunderstand. She didn't make me angry - I was hurt. That's a new one for me. I think it's the fact that I (like everyone else) haven't hardly slept in days (and I haven't had any dreams either). It's starting to wear me down. I started to feel persecuted and, since I know that's not how she meant it, I backed off. Better to be safe than sorry. I'm still posting - just not there - not now.

Thanks for the support, though. I DO love a good fight (when I'm up to it). I'll give you MUCH more enlightening controversy once I get some good sleep.

------------------
"Allright! We'll call it a draw."

"I'm INVINCIBLE! ... You're a LOONEY!"

Dare to dream. Be bold enough to try.

The day we stop learning is the day we start dying!(c)
Old 09-13-2001, 12:36 PM   #9
adam warlock
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

let's hear it for the Mod Squad!!!
Old 09-13-2001, 12:38 PM   #10
Moni

Quote:
Originally posted by Zeeke75:
Memnoch,

Very well said!!! I've been doing a lot of reading the last few days, and I've been amazed at how well everyone has keeping tempers and emotions in check, considering the devasting events that have taken place this week.

We each have our own opinions, and the great part about this site is that we can express them. I may not always agree, and I certainly don't expect everyone to agree with me, but it makes for a great conversation when not everyone DOES agree.

Keep it up, everyone!

As well as when we can agree to disagree!

I agree with everything you say here Zeeke75.
Thank you Memnoch, as always you are a rock!

DragonMage,
Dio stated my sentiment for you to a T "I have liked you from the first time I saw your posts. You are an assett to the forum.
It is great to have you here.

Peace, Love & Hugs Everyone

As I told Memncoh in an e-mail today and Skywalker in another thread...(in so many words)...I am well aware that both my sharp tongue and my inability to back down when confronted with argument (as opposed to merely an opposing opinion) are as much a weakness as they are a strength at times and I have been/am doing what I can to deal with that in order to better my ability to function on a more pleasant social level here. I hope those of you whose butted heads and popping eyes ( ) know what I am saying and can help me to better communicate with you as I try my best to return the favor.

------------------

You know childhood is over when a puddle seems like an obstacle instead of an opportunity.

Is Too! Is Not! Is Too! Is Not!

[This message has been edited by Moni (edited 09-13-2001).]