Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 04-09-2001, 03:29 PM   #11
Moridin
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by 250:
well, you are not being an A$$hole

anyway, just one thing to point out: SO2, SO3 dont cool atmosphere.
those are very strong acid (yes Accord, stronger than flail of agies) and they dehydrate water from air around earth. that was why Rain Forest suffered so much dmg from acid rain.
when SO2 met water:
SO2 + H2O = H2SO3

this is hmm...crap, i dont know the english name
and when H2SO3 met oxyegen, it will have further reaction to form H2SO4 which is...ARRHHH someone get a dictionary this thing is very damaging, and devastating. but Adminante Golems are mostly immune to it... (err.. crap, I played too much BGII)

anyway, just let you know, H2SO4 is not only acid but also poison. it can be used for making gun powders (strong one)

anyway, i am sorry for my poor vocabulary in english, i hope it helped a little

250--
You are correct, SO2 does cause acid rain, but only SO2 in the lower atmosphere. SO2 in the upper atmosphere reflects sunlight away from the earth (back into space) and therefore acts a cooling compound. So it is kind of a double bind. We do need SO2 in the upper atmosphere to keep the balance, but we need to reduce 'unnatural' emissions to lower SO2 levels in the lower atmosphere to reduce acid rain

------------------

It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear ignorant,
than open it and remove all doubt!
Old 04-09-2001, 04:59 PM   #12
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Do you think global warming should be a top priority for world governments?
Yes

Have you read any news articles or heard/watched any TV programs on global warming in the past 6 months? If so, do you remember the exact topic (i.e. Kyoto treaty, fossil fuel consumption)
I don't recall, although I have read several article on it on MSNBC (where I check my news). Mainly about fossil fuel consumption and the growing ozone hole over Antarctica.

Do you recycle? (recycling reduces the amount of debris in landfills and therefore reduces methane emissions)
Yes. Actually, eating less beef does as well, as reducing the cattle industry leads to reduced methane emissions from the cows. I'm not kidding. Cow flatus is over 60% methane.

How do you feel about Nuclear power as an energy source? Against or For
If against, why?
I'm divided on this one, but I prefer alternative, safer sources of power until they have either perfected nuclear fission or come up with another method for generating nuclear power (such as cold fusion, if there is such a thing).

How much more would you be willing to pay for a car that used an alternative power source to gasoline?
Depends on the car, but I'd be willing to pay more for one. I'm not good on pricing.

Would you be willing to pay more for electricity if your power company used alternative energy sources (i.e. wind/water generation, solar power)?
At first, yes, until it became readily accepted. I would expect the price to drop as usage increases.

Who do you think is the main culprit of global warming
Consumers for their unwillingness to use ‘cleaner’ products because they cost more and are less available
Automotive and Oil companies for their unwillingness to change to alternative energy
Governments for their unwillingness to introduce and enforce stricter emissions laws
A bit of all of the above. Trouble is, as I see it, it's a vicious circle. One won't change because the others won't change. Consumers won't use more expensive, alternative energy products, so the Auto and Oil industry can't find it lucrative to switch to that, even for the long run. It's a blinkered, 'short run' mentality that causes it, IMO.

Old 04-09-2001, 06:01 PM   #13
Ziroc

Earth will be Mars 2 within 7000 years if we continue the way we're going:

Global warming is a threat, look at what is happening to Antarctica:

http://www.cnn.com/2000/NATURE/09/29/iceberg/index.html

http://www.cnn.com/2000/NATURE/05/10....02/index.html

And check out the book called "The Coming global superstorm" by Art Bell. Talks about how it could be possible for huge weather systems will change because of cooler waterways in the Ocean.

Also, one thing about just plain old littering.. When I drive, and see people flicking their cigarette butts out their car windows, it makes me crazy.. YOU HAVE AN ASHTRAY, USE IT! ya know? Anyone here see that happening? It's like-- the whole world is their ashtray and I DO smoke (which I AM quitting, its a nasty habit), and I have never flicked one out the window.. (Feels special)

Anyway, just wanted to rant a bit, and give ya those two CNN articles about the Iceshelf.. ALSO-- just 3 weeks ago, scientists have found the LARGEST crack in the shelf of the Antarctic EVER, and predict that it will break off this year.

Ziroc

Old 04-09-2001, 08:09 PM   #14
Fljotsdale
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

YES! YES! YES!

Have you read any news articles or heard/watched any TV programs on global warming in the past 6 months? If so, do you remember the exact topic (i.e. Kyoto treaty, fossil fuel consumption)
LOTS: KYOTO, FOSSIL FUEL, POLAR ICE CAP MELT, HOLE IN OZONE LAYER, WEATHER CHANGE, etc

Do you recycle? (recycling reduces the amount of debris in landfills and therefore reduces methane emissions)
YES BUT NOT AS MUCH AS I WOULD LIKE TO: LACK OF PUBLIC FACILITIES

If against, why?
AGAINST. TOO DANGEROUS. WASTE PRODUCTS NASTY ENVIRONMENTAL HAZARD. THERE ARE GREENER WAYS TO TO PROVIDE ENERGY.

How much more would you be willing to pay for a car that used an alternative power source to gasoline?
DON'T USE CAR. USE PUBLIC TRANSPORT AS MATTER OF PRINCIPLE.

Would you be willing to pay more for electricity if your power company used alternative energy sources (i.e. wind/water generation, solar power)?
YES.

Consumers for their unwillingness to use ‘cleaner’ products because they cost more and are less available
YES.

Automotive and Oil companies for their unwillingness to change to alternative energy
YES.

Governments for their unwillingness to introduce and enforce stricter emissions laws
YES.

------------------
Smile! Life is too short for bitching!

Fljotsdale
Old 04-10-2001, 10:15 AM   #15
Moridin
Fzoul Chembryl

Ker-bump

Why is it that a serious issue and something that could be a help for a school project only gets 9 responses, but a thread like "what color is your sh**" usually gets 100+ responses?

------------------

Old 04-10-2001, 10:21 AM   #16
Sir_Tainly

Yes

Not in the last 6 months

Yes only glass at the moment, but hopefully paper too as of next month when the council starts a collection service

If against, why?
for

depends on the price of the alternative fuel

yes

all of the above

------------------

Holy Avenger of the OHF and part time Pinguindiebjäger

HATS for sale baby!
Sponsored by Yorick
Your ad here? Call 112 -221 -123

Old 04-10-2001, 10:28 AM   #17
adam warlock
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
Originally posted by Moridin:
Ker-bump

Why is it that a serious issue and something that could be a help for a school project only gets 9 responses, but a thread like "what color is your sh**" usually gets 100+ responses?

it's because this is nonspamtopic

------------------

[This message has been edited by adam warlock (edited 04-10-2001).]
Old 04-10-2001, 10:50 AM   #18
Moridin
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by adam warlock:
it's because this is nonspamtopic

Exactly my point adam warlock!
Most people on this forum are not useful in any way, shape or form! I took a few minutes and roughly counted the number of people that have made posts in the GD forum since this thread was started. I stopped at 32! But only 9 have responded to this thread.

The reason I choose to post this survey here, rather than ask friends/family/classmates in person is b/c of the global diversity and culture differences off all of the members. But I guess people would rather spend their time answering random threads about their age/sex/race/nationality/hair color/#of body piercings/what they ate for breakfast/what color is the sky/why doesn't my 17" monitor show 19" images.....than actually post something worthwhile and helpful!!!!!

------------------

Old 04-10-2001, 10:51 AM   #19
WOLFGIR
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

-----Yes, in some degree, but definatley would be taken upå more seriously with the overall issue of world environment.

--Yes, One about global warming and the cycles of the iceperiods mentioned global warming being hard to judge and messure.

----Yes, both at home and at work.

If against, why?
I´m possitive as long as we recycle the fuel that can be done in a much more safe way and better for the environment and if coldfusion will be discovered soon, well no more troubles..

--- Don´t use a car, to expansive, but I could be able to pay a small amount but that is not up to me but the total worlds responsibility to make faster adjustments to alternative fuels.

---No because they are as environmentally damaging as other fossil fuels but in another way, don´t solve the problems, only pushes them to another category.

All of the above, but people are sheeps, they follow the leaders, so the companies and governments are mostly to "blame"

OK, Moridin, i fhave done my due! Good luck friend!

------------------

WOLF WINS EVERY FIGHT BUT ONE, AND IN THAT ONE, HE DIES
Old 04-10-2001, 10:55 AM   #20
Sir_Tainly

Quote:
Originally posted by Moridin:
Exactly my point adam warlock!
Most people on this forum are not useful in any way, shape or form! I took a few minutes and roughly counted the number of people that have made posts in the GD forum since this thread was started. I stopped at 32! But only 9 have responded to this thread.

The reason I choose to post this survey here, rather than ask friends/family/classmates in person is b/c of the global diversity and culture differences off all of the members. But I guess people would rather spend their time answering random threads about their age/sex/race/nationality/hair color/#of body piercings/what they ate for breakfast/what color is the sky/why doesn't my 17" monitor show 19" images.....than actually post something worthwhile and helpful!!!!!

I would have posted sooner, but I hadn't noticed the thread. I can only suggest keeping it near the top of the page by bumping. I found this with one of my threads, each time it got sent to the top, people replied, if it fell 3/4 of the way down the first page it was ignored. Hope you get enough replies to make some good analysis.

------------------

Holy Avenger of the OHF and part time Pinguindiebjäger

HATS for sale baby!
Sponsored by Yorick
Your ad here? Call 112 -221 -123