Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 09-24-2001, 09:28 AM   #11
StarVid
Elminster

on a side note. Who's charisma is important, the PC or the party leader? and if the answer is both, then in what situations is the PCs more important and what situations is the party leader's more important. I hope these questions makes sense...

Old 09-24-2001, 09:41 AM   #12
JR Jansen
Drizzt Do'Urden

It's important who does the talking. If a person is addressing the PC. His/her stats are taken into account. If not the party leaders stats are important.

JR

Damned i lost cousin Jan's techno gloves
Old 09-24-2001, 09:44 AM   #13
Skunk
Banned User

Who's Charisma is talking?
Basically, whoever's doing the talking.

By the by, I also played Paladin a couple of times with similar stats (REAL roll of 93) - but I dropped the Dex. to 10 in expectation of getting the gloves of Dex... Was a pain until i did get em...
Old 09-24-2001, 09:52 AM   #14
Kitty
Manshoon

Unless I'm playing as a paladin, I set charisma to 10 (the lowest you can go without reaction penalties) and spare precious points for other abilities - if I go with a fighter, for example, after maxing out his strenght, constitution and dexterity, I add those points to Wisdom and Intelligence (helps against some magic). If I have a mage, after maxing out intelligence and dexterity and setting constitution to a score of 16, I give him a charisma of 10 and dump some points in wisdom (helps with lore). The reason why I set Charisma to 10 is that there are NPCs to do the talking for you and to bargain in stores, and if I ever need to be the leader, no penalties will come. I don't doubt what a high Charisma can do, but usually the most charismatic person in my games aren't my PCs.

Kitty
Old 09-24-2001, 03:48 PM   #15
Istaron
Banned User

Quote:
Originally posted by Skunk:
If you told me that your father had the surname Bhaal (which is about the Baldurs Gate equivilent of "Bin Laden") do you really think that my impression of you is going to be positive?
Acctually, Bin Laden-san has very high carisma... do you really think he would have so many followers otherwise?

And Jansen, I know they affect battle indirect if you are mage/priest... but it sounded as he was playing fighter or similar.

------------------
We call him Bobby Corwen
Old 09-24-2001, 05:02 PM   #16
Sir Kenyth
Fzoul Chembryl

Charisma is more important in the Pen and paper RPG. It's primary factor is how many followers/hirelings you can have and their morale in a given situation. Any NPC in your party falls under this stipulation. I'm not sure if this is taken into account for your followers in BG or not. I know you can change off who you want to lead in the party. I can't think of another reason besides influencing leadership factors. Anyone know if BG uses the leaders charisma to affect morale in the party?
Old 09-25-2001, 03:12 AM   #17
crymson77
Manshoon

I didn't read many of the replys so someone may have mentioned this... I hope. Your charisma directly effect how the NPCs deal with you. The higher your reaction adjustment the better. In some instances you'll even miss out on some opportunity that you may not have if you had a higher charisma. And as for saying that it is sometimes better to have a low charisma is totally off base. That gives you a negative reaction adjustment. If you have your charisma at the bare minimum certain roleplaying aspects will be harder. Some quests you might not even find out about unless you initiate dioluge with a character who has a 15 or higher charisma. Perhaps you were thinking of the benifits you get from role playing as either a good or an evil character. For example, if you an evil character, then you get a reaction bounus when interacting with other evil people through out Amn. Like wise with good characters. It says that in the manual, just like it says all that stuff in those other haphazerdly put-together sentences up there.
please excuse my spelling and typing skill its late.
i'm out. back to the game actually. its my second time through and I just got to the part with those fish people before the under dark. last time i took the portal. not that anyone cares. nor do i. i dont really even remember what i've been blathering about.
peace
Old 09-25-2001, 08:36 AM   #18
StarVid
Elminster

Actually, I think I'm going to give my sorceror char decent charisma. Not for roleplaying purposes, but so I can import him into NWN, where charisma will have more of an impact. Other than that, yeah, I keep it to 10 or 11, just average. Even then, though, it's kinda like roleplaying it. I mean, sure I'm a decent guy and all, but I'm also the son of the God of Murder so I guess that balances out in my view.
Old 09-25-2001, 10:22 AM   #19
Tancred
White Dragon

It's an old post of mine, this, but it seems apt - and when have I ever needed an excuse to re-use old posts? This, from a discussion into the theory that Charisma can affect the reward you earn for quests and monsters...

OK. Imagine these two scenarios...
'I am an Orc. I am drinking some beer. Oh no! Here come some Heroes! Better charge forward and fight them. Gee, that guy in the lead is a cool dude. What a hairdo! He's killed two of my friends, but I don't mind. What a joy to fight this guy. ARGH! He's cut me in half with a stylish backhand swipe! What a guy... I hope he puts my gold to good use. Urk.'

Now:

'I am an Orc. I am drinking some beer. Oh no! Here come some Heroes! Better charge forward and fight them. Sheesh, that guy in the lead smells. Couldn't he have worn some NICE clothes? Hey, he's killed two of my friends with an underhand backstab! I HATE this guy! ARGH! He's cut me in half when I wasn't looking! What a scumbag! Right, with my dying strength I'll throw what little gold I have into the river. I hope all the others do the same. Urk.'

Scientific proof! Charisma really does affect your gold income.

Old 09-25-2001, 11:07 AM   #20
Skunk
Banned User

Interesting scientific evidence...
As the merchant in the promenade says:
"My what a terrible state the education system in Amn is..."