Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-2001, 10:26 PM   #1
Robin, Thief of Hearts
The Magister

Cool topic huh?

I have a question for those of you who have a thief character. We all know that thieves ONLY get to do one hit per round. If you choose Assassination as a special ability, how does it help? You have no multiple hits to get multiple backstabs. Is there a way for a thief( pure one) to gain more than one hit per round ?
Robin, Thief of Hearts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2001, 10:29 PM   #2
trux

Outside of ShadowKeeper and maybe a magical weapon of some type I don't think so.

------------------

a bunch of long hairs.
trux
trux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2001, 10:32 PM   #3
Xod
Zhentarim Guard

The only ways I know of a thief being able to do more than one attack per round is by dual-wielding and/or Hasting. Regular Haste add one attack per round, and Improved Haste doubles the number of attacks per round.

Assasinate would be great, if you could use it more than once per day. And, it (backstab) never seems to work on creatures that you would want it to work on...

------------------

"This place will be your tomb."
Xod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2001, 07:34 AM   #4
Lord Shield

multi-class Fighter/Thief or Fighter/Mage/Thief

Also, it allows you to backstab even if you're visible and attacking from the front

------------------
In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is pimp.
http://lordraptor0.tripod.com/index.html
Old 07-26-2001, 09:24 AM   #5
homsuplee
Dungeon Master

Does assasination work on every creature ? Also, can't you use it more than once if you keep selecting it as an ability ?

------------------
Life is wasted on the living.
homsuplee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2001, 09:40 AM   #6
Redblueflare
Galvatron

Yes you can. Assasination is a great skill as long as you can hit what you want to. It's just like backstab except you can be in the front. Some monsters *are* immune to it. And you can select it more than once. Try using a time trap than assasination.

------------------
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, I just don't have to listen.
Redblueflare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2001, 04:11 PM   #7
Robin, Thief of Hearts
The Magister

I wasn't able to select this special ability more than once - either with the assassin or the Kensai thief that I tried.

It lasts way too short a time to be generally useful, but when it works, boy it works. With a dagger, my assassin got 2 attacks per round. Added a spare one in her other hand, plus Montolio's cloak to gain a third strike. 7 times 3 hits = 21 times normal damage. Wow... Usually I'd backstab the original way, and then use the special ability when the enemy faced me.

Alchemy is just as useful- potions of invisibility are reliable ways to backstab, and alchemy gives you unlimited ones.
Old 08-11-2001, 04:28 PM   #8
Grand-Ranger
Galvatron

Location: Everywhere I wanna go its already where I am,cause I am already there
Quote:
Originally posted by Lord Shield:
multi-class Fighter/Thief or Fighter/Mage/Thief

Also, it allows you to backstab even if you're visible and attacking from the front

Whats the point of a backstab if you can do it while your visable and from the front?

------------------

So if in the forest look behind you, because that where the ranger is going to be
Grand-Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2001, 08:45 PM   #9
Robin, Thief of Hearts
The Magister

Whats the point of a backstab if you can do it while your visable and from the front?

The Assassinate skill only works a few seconds. During this time, whatever hits the thief makes count as backstabs, even if she is visible. The trick to maximise this is to get in as many hits as possible.

Having used it, I can now verify some tips- drink an oil of Speed to haste up, dual wield to increase the attacks, use a weapon like the dagger of the Stars or Kundane to get an extra attack, trigger it just after doing a regular backstab, and best of all use it after your victim has been timestopped by a trap. Thanks a lot gents!