Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 02-26-2002, 02:56 PM   #81
MagiK

quote:
Originally posted by Sir Kenyth:
Hey guys, what exactly does this server need? Do we need network hardware also? I know I could build a pretty darn kickin system for $800. Do you need some locations for some good deals Z? Maybe a server requires a bit more hardwae than a PC?

Sir K [img]smile.gif[/img] I don't know for sure exactly what Z is shooting for but for a server (as opposed to a desk top system) You are going to want the biggest fastest Disks (possibly RAID) you can snag, You want LOADS and LOADS of memory, You also have to have a good backup solution so that you can back your info up, and if you really want to balance traffic you should have 2 or more interfaces to do I/O to the network, one of the things you really dont need to be top of the line is the graphics processor and monitor. Servers are not usualy displaying graphics to their own screens. Also in a server you should seriously think about multi-processor systems....a properly done servers is more expensive than something you would just use for single player games...usually [img]smile.gif[/img]

Old 02-28-2002, 02:43 PM   #82
Sir ReGiN
Gold Dragon

[img]graemlins/smilebounce.gif[/img]
How's it going Z?
Old 03-05-2002, 04:22 AM   #83
Moiraine
Anubis

Come on guys ! We DO need that new server ...
Old 03-05-2002, 04:25 AM   #84
LennonCook
Jack Burton

I will try to send some money soon... Ill send it in a card of some sort I guess, to disguise it to would-be thieves...

Expect some from Me soon, Ziroc [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-05-2002, 04:31 AM   #85
Moiraine
Anubis

BTW, Ziroc, I know you've got other things on your mind right now, but I sent you some money a few days ago via PayPal, and as I don't see that damn bar moving, I have no idea if you got it right ... could you update that bar please please ?
Old 03-05-2002, 06:10 AM   #86
Erekose
The Magister

Ok, i have been away for awhile but I am greatly distressed by these dire events. I will send some $$$ in US currency asap. I really appreciate the existence to this forum because it saved me many painful hours in BG TOSC. If someone in Australia could send me the download for IWD on cd, I will send even more. Cheers
Old 03-06-2002, 07:24 AM   #87
*\Conan/*
Red Dragon

quote:
Originally posted by Erekose:
Ok, i have been away for awhile but I am greatly distressed by these dire events. I will send some $$$ in US currency asap. I really appreciate the existence to this forum because it saved me many painful hours in BG TOSC. If someone in Australia could send me the download for IWD on cd, I will send even more. Cheers
Erekose, we dont do that here. I am sure someone could give you a line on where to buy it thow! You understand.
Ziroc, you haven't got far to go now. Come on you guys!! Were almost there I can smell the new electronics flowing from here!
Old 03-06-2002, 11:58 AM   #88
Sir Kenyth
Fzoul Chembryl

quote:
Originally posted by MagiK:

Sir K [img]smile.gif[/img] I don't know for sure exactly what Z is shooting for but for a server (as opposed to a desk top system) You are going to want the biggest fastest Disks (possibly RAID) you can snag, You want LOADS and LOADS of memory, You also have to have a good backup solution so that you can back your info up, and if you really want to balance traffic you should have 2 or more interfaces to do I/O to the network, one of the things you really dont need to be top of the line is the graphics processor and monitor. Servers are not usualy displaying graphics to their own screens. Also in a server you should seriously think about multi-processor systems....a properly done servers is more expensive than something you would just use for single player games...usually [img]smile.gif[/img]

Heh, heh! I forgot about the SCSI factor. Twice the cost for half the storage! I also failed to take into account multi-processors. These things do add up and the price for server type hardware is a bit inflated. Too long putting PCs together. I kind of lost sight of the reality factor in server cost.
Old 03-06-2002, 12:48 PM   #89
MagiK

quote:
Originally posted by Sir Kenyth:

Heh, heh! I forgot about the SCSI factor. .

Actually you don't need to do SCSI, EIDE drives now have RAID controllers available. I have an ABIT motherboard for my 1GHz PIII machine with integrated RAID controller. Makes for faster I/O for my games [img]smile.gif[/img]