Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Old 03-01-2005, 04:49 PM   #1
spydar

k, I'm sure pretty much everyone here has had that moment of utter frustration where you ask yourself "just what the hell am I supposed to be doing with my life?", well I've reached it...again.

I'm in my 4th year here at the University of Calgary, I'm hopefully graduating next year after one more semester of classes, and have friends applying to grad schools, and buying condos, and pretty much just getting on with this thing called life. I have none of this. I have a house, that I don't want to be in charge of anymore, I may graduate, but not with very good grades, and I don't know why I'm studying what I'm studying.
so my question is this: how many of you went to grad school? how many of you actually made a plan and followed through with it? how many of you are pleased with how your life is going?
ok, I guess that's technically 3 questions.

I have been in school my entire life, never been out of the country (Michigan when I was 4 doesn't count cause I don't remember it), never done anything even remotely resembling an adventure. I don't even go out with my friends cause I can't afford it.

so why does it seem like everyone has everything figured out but me? why didn't I get that memo?
Old 03-01-2005, 05:16 PM   #2
Dron_Cah
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

Defend Your Castle Champion Frogger Champion Monkey Diving Champion Summer Games Champion Donkey Kong Champion
Moon Lander Champion Space Invaders Champion
Well, I'm still in school, too, man, and behind you, at that! But I plan on going to Med school. If I can get in, that is... Anyways, I would just try to reflect on the things I enjoy mostm, and see what I could do relating to that. And it's legality.
Good luck, spydar.
Dron_Cah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 05:26 PM   #3
VulcanRider
Lord Soth

After high school I went to a community college & earned an associates, then transferred to a university & got my B.S. By my last year of college, I was so burnt out I barely passed. A good friend, one of the most intelligent people I ever knew, did burn out. You are not the first to feel this way.

So what are you studying? Are there any jobs in your field that involve travelling, whether it's on-site hardware installation, or maybe being a corporate trainer, or sales rep, or pilot, or whatever it is you've learned to do. Don't be afraid that you'll be locked into a career when you take a job. Most people change jobs several times, and a lot completely change careers. Look for a job you'll enjoy.

It doesn't sound so much that everyone else has everything figured out, more that you're the sensible one who's thinking far enough ahead you don't want to start your post-school life with unneeded debt. Good choice. That might seem hard now but it makes things easier later.

Go here and read the infamous "Wear Sunscreen" commencement speech. One of the best quotes in it is "Don't feel guilty if you don't know what you want to do with your life. The most interesting people I know didn't know at 22 what they wanted to do with their lives. Some of the most interesting 40-year-olds I know still don't."

Hmmm. 4th year of school means early 20s. Go find a tune called "The Logical Song" by Supertramp. It's a few years older than you are. Sounds like your theme song. It's a reminder that a lot of people have felt the same way. They survived, you will too.

-----
Help feed animals in shelters with just a mouse click at The Animal Rescue Site !!
VulcanRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 06:18 PM   #4
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

I wish I could say something clever to solve your problems, but the truth is:
1) I can't, since no one's "got it all figured out" cos no one can see into the future
2) I never understand people who post threads like this: if the people in your life can't help you out, then what can you expect from a bunch of people you've probably never met?
3) There're no hard and fast rules, and can you really be bothered to read everyone's shortened life stories? It'll get repetitive...

What's wrong with weighing up your standard options (companies you can apply to given your knowledge and experience background, or grad school as you said)?
Love conquers all? Damn, I'd say that area's gray
Vaskez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 06:53 PM   #5
Violet
Manshoon

Do you know that Terry Lundgren, the CEO of Neiman Marcus Marcus was originally a student in veterinary medicine?
He was learning how to inseminate a cow - had his arm up her backside, looking for her ovaries when he saw a man with no arm. "That's how I lost my arm." the man said. He changed his major the next day and finished college by paying his own way after his father cut his funds. He cleaned shrimp for a local restaurant.

Every one of us is given a different live to live and to lead. Things around us change - we change our minds - the truth is you never know what is going to happen tomorrow that will hand you the world or take it away.

The best advice I could offer you is to do what makes you happy - enjoy your life - it'll be over long before you're ready for the end. [img]smile.gif[/img]

to answer your questions: I am lucky to have gotten my Bachelor's with two small children and one on the way.
That is NOT how I had originally planned it all out! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
I am very pleased with the way my life has proceeded to this point. I lucked out with an intelligent and caring husband, 3 great kids who want to take over the various ventures that he and I started to carry it all on and most importantly, I can live with myself, the way I look, and the consequences of my actions, all without guilt or regret.
I agree that you may be bothered by reading other people's stories though - your's remains yet for you to write and the only one who can pen it out is you.
(something my father taught me: there is nothing in life that you can't learn or do, you just have to have the desire to make it happen.)
[img]\"http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v289/VioletMcKeever/AniV.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br /><br />A Man With Poetry On His Lips Also Has Wings On His Heart<br />The Harder You Run From Your Dreams, The Harder They Run After You<br />I Am Not A Human Having Spiritual Experiences, I Am A Spirit Having Human Experiences<br />Smart As A Whip; Heart Of Gold; Tough As Nails; Lost In The Woods
Violet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 12:00 PM   #6
Albromor
Mephistopheles

I read a great book a number of years ago (can't remember its title) that essentially said that the majority of people who go on to Masters and PH.D programs aren't quite sure what to do with life. I have 3 degrees: B.A. and two Masters. Only the second Masters degree was planned with knowing what I wanted to do with it (clinical counseling). Here are some other things to ponder:

1. Schooling extends the adolescent issues of finding oneself. You are now facing life that is demanding adult choices. School has a tendency to place that to the side -- but its rapidly becoming not to the side now. You are being forced to face life issues that were once placed on hold.

2. I also suggest perhaps looking into a Masters program of something that truly interrests you. There is absolutely nothing wrong with more school.

3. I learned this the hard way in my first Masters program: It certainly isn't like the college/university years. The fraternal aspect is lacking considerably. There *will* be changes.

Don't know if this helps, but I do speak from personal experience.

[ 03-02-2005, 12:03 PM: Message edited by: Albromor ]
Albromor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 02:30 PM   #7
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Let me throw something else into the mix. I suggest you head to your local bookstore or library and pick up a copy of Rich Dad, Poor Dad by Robert Kiyosaki. I wish I would have read it six years ago... I would have done some things much differently in life.

I continually struggle with what I want to do in life, and I haven't figured it out yet. I keep getting closer, but while I'm figuring it out, I'll continue to do what I'm doing.

I'll offer one other thought: by and large, you don't go to university to get educated in your field of study, IMHO. What you go to do is to learn how to think... and that's something that's far more valuable. It's figuring out how to apply that thinking later on that's the *real* challenge.

Good luck. You're not alone...
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 04:47 PM   #8
Mr. Mopery
Zhentarim Guard

Six years ago I was inspecting oil platforms in the Gulf of Mexico. The only plan I had was to never get sodomized while hitchhiking.

This June I'm getting married in a (mostly) traditional Polish wedding to a woman I proposed to in Luang Prabang, Laos. I teach Business English and I'm taking a Master's in Sociology.

If somebody had told me 6 years ago that this is where I'd be, I'd have laughed. Especially about the "Business" English part.

The only advice I'd give (and it's pretty crap) is that sometimes you can't look at other people's lives for examples. It's better to set your own.

...Oh, and don't eat yellow snow.
Old 03-02-2005, 05:59 PM   #9
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

Mr. Mopery - if the only advice you're giving is not to look at other people's lives then why bother telling your shortened life story? [img]tongue.gif[/img]

My life is exact opposite I guess. (I'm not giving that advice, hence I can tell it). I've planned everything and done everything I planned. So far so good.
Love conquers all? Damn, I'd say that area's gray
Vaskez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 06:45 PM   #10
Mr. Mopery
Zhentarim Guard

Quote:
Originally posted by Vaskez:
Mr. Mopery - if the only advice you're giving is not to look at other people's lives then why bother telling your shortened life story?
Because it illustrated the results, in my case, of not looking to other people for examples. I guess I could have made that clearer. Anyway, the details aren't important; the serendipitousness is.

If I might bicker oh-so-pettily, though: I did also advise against yellow snow...sage advice, that.