Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)

Old 02-12-2005, 08:35 AM   #1
Nerull
Lord Ao

Mad

After all of the good things I heard (and lots of research on the official site and one of the databases), I bought the game yesterday. I'm excited to start, but I'm going to go ahead and read the manual first. Any suggestions for a total newbie to MMORPGs? What is the learning curve on this game? I am thinking of starting Horde, maybe as a Troll or Undead. I will probably solo a good deal to start with, but at the same time the mage really jumps out at me (I've already heard they are difficult to solo, so any tips in that regard would be appreciated). If I go that route, I'll probably go with skinning and tailoring as my main professions.

Of course, with KOTOR II coming out on PC, and classes in full session, I'm going to be pressed for time... At least you do gain some xp when you are not playing.

[ 02-12-2005, 09:42 AM: Message edited by: Nerull ]
[img]\"ubb/noncgi/smiles/new/ghoul.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br /><br />\"The middle class pays all of the taxes, does all of the work.<br />The lower class exists just to scare the middle class.\"<br />-George Carlin
Nerull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005, 11:20 PM   #2
Lord of Alcohol
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Mages arent hard to solo once you get the hang of it [img]smile.gif[/img] I'm on hellscream server/alliance-Thuvia if you need any tips [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-13-2005, 07:46 AM   #3
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Nerull:
After all of the good things I heard (and lots of research on the official site and one of the databases), I bought the game yesterday. I'm excited to start, but I'm going to go ahead and read the manual first. Any suggestions for a total newbie to MMORPGs? What is the learning curve on this game? I am thinking of starting Horde, maybe as a Troll or Undead. I will probably solo a good deal to start with, but at the same time the mage really jumps out at me (I've already heard they are difficult to solo, so any tips in that regard would be appreciated). If I go that route, I'll probably go with skinning and tailoring as my main professions.

Of course, with KOTOR II coming out on PC, and classes in full session, I'm going to be pressed for time... At least you do gain some xp when you are not playing.
Team often at first. Going mage you will have to anyways. It is a difficult class to play at first but the payoff is huge if you stick with it. There are some quests that require a team to complete. If you're anything like the rest of us, your first char won't be your final/main but rather an experiment. The learning curve is slightly higher than some MMO's but is never tedious. Much is intuitive and the rest you learn as you go. A very, very polished game as far as MMO's go so you're off to a good start .

Horde is tons of fun but alot less populated than alliance. The human population alone outnumbers all of the horde races. Undead is hilarious and cool at the same time. Personally I don't like trolls cuz they all look like dental distasters and speak with a jamaican accent (ruins it for me since im an avid D&D fan and can't bring myself to accept trolls this way). Roll a few chars, test it out and see how you feel. Good luck!
Old 02-14-2005, 01:52 AM   #4
spydar

really? I love the trolls BECAUSE of the jamaican accent, I think it's hilarious!
the horde is pretty fun, and at times horde players are a LOT more helpful to newbies than the alliance people, I find at least (I play both). and I think the druids and shamans are pretty good to start with and solo with (personal opinion of course). you can heal yourself and others, have different kinds of boosts, and can fight melee fairly decently too. but then again, I am a bit of a tree hugger [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 02-14-2005, 01:52 AM: Message edited by: spydar ]
Old 02-14-2005, 07:39 PM   #5
Nerull
Lord Ao

Thanks for the responses. I still haven't installed the game yet (I've been sick and bedridden since I posted this topic; I'm finally starting to get my energy back). I'm actually not a "tree-hugger" myself; I thought of going the easier path and starting with either a druid or shaman, but I really like mages and decided to tough it out with one to start. I'm pretty much decided on Undead instead of Troll. Trolls have some nice abilities (berserk is nice to speed up spellcasting if you are in trouble, and the bonus versus beasts helps with the skinning). However, the stats for Trolls starting out are not as good as Undead, at least as far as mage is concerned. Besides, Undead always intrigue me... [img]smile.gif[/img]

I'll probably install either tonight or tomorrow, and get started from there. Thanks for all of your help!
[img]\"ubb/noncgi/smiles/new/ghoul.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br /><br />\"The middle class pays all of the taxes, does all of the work.<br />The lower class exists just to scare the middle class.\"<br />-George Carlin
Nerull is offline   Reply With Quote