Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 09-11-2001, 01:58 PM   #31
MagiK

Legolas...what could he do by going to washington that would save lives and start the motions of recovery that he can't do better from a command bunker specificly designed for him to do just that?

------------------
Disintigration is easy, If you really want to impress me, ReIntegrate it.

Old 09-11-2001, 02:01 PM   #32
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Look, nobody is saying people can't make cheap shots against Bush or whatever. We all have our political leanings. I won't censor anything people say, you're entitled to make your statements! It's a good idea to lighten up some of the tension with humor and flippancy. But I just think from a commonsense point of view, that maybe we might all show a bit of tact, knowing that some people feel strongly about certain issues at this emotionally-charged time. Just like you wouldn't joke about a deceased person's bad habits at their funeral. You might do it at the pub when you're all having a beer and trying to cheer yourselves up. It's a question of tact, fellow board members (saying this as a fellow member not a mod).

My advice is just give this a bit of time to settle, and know the right time to say things. Fair enough?

------------------
Old 09-11-2001, 02:05 PM   #33
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Another thing to skywalker's point, people may say things in the heat of the moment that could be construed wrongly - let's all remember that it *is* an emotional time, and try to be a bit tolerant of what people may type. Remember, it's hard on the net to gauge body language and know how people are really feeling.

------------------
Old 09-11-2001, 02:14 PM   #34
MILAMBER
Lord Soth

The purpose of terrorism is to cause political unrest, right? Look at what we're doing here. Political unrest is exactly what's happening. In a time when the entire United States (and for that matter, the world)should be pulling together against terrorism, we aren't; and do you know why? Because of political disagreements. We are criticizing our leadership before they have even done anything yet!! Lets give them the benifit of the doubt and judge after the fact. If you ask me, Bush Sr. didn't do too bad in the gulf, so maybe his son will do ok now. Colin Powell is flying back from Peru to help, and he's a man I completely trust as someone with no personal agenda.

I know we all have our beliefs and nobody is asking them to be changed or stifled. All I'm saying, is that it was AMERICA that was attacked, not just New York, not just Washington, but our whole country. I am on the other side of the continent, yet I was attacked too. Lets just make sure that all the attacking is coming from the outside.

------------------
"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his."
-General George Patton (1885-1945)

Member of CLAN HADB
Old 09-11-2001, 02:18 PM   #35
MagiK

I am fortunate that I have no actual family in the Pentagon but I do have friends that I cannot contact I can't even help because they have closed all roads into the DC area. All I could do is give blood and wait..just like everyone else.

------------------
Disintigration is easy, If you really want to impress me, ReIntegrate it.

Old 09-11-2001, 02:29 PM   #36
Moni

Quote:
Originally posted by MILAMBER:
Colin Powell is flying back from Peru to help, and he's a man I completely trust as someone with no personal agenda.

I know we all have our beliefs and nobody is asking them to be changed or stifled. All I'm saying, is that it was AMERICA that was attacked, not just New York, not just Washington, but our whole country. I am on the other side of the continent, yet I was attacked too. Lets just make sure that all the attacking is coming from the outside.

I agree with you about having Mr. Powell here.

I am not against stifling my opinions out of respect for others. Its OK.
I felt the attack myself...I broke down and cried in my dentist's office in front of all the other people there watching the initial coverage. My dentist and his assistant held me and hugged me and offered me support.

I have a family member still unaccounted for in Washington DC. My first and favorite nephew, a man who twenty years ago I was a nanny to for two years...I potty trained him, taught him how to speak properly, I taught him how to read and write, among other things. I am his "Aunt Mick" and we love each other as much as is possible for a motherly figure and the figurative son that he is to me.

Even though I am not in the center of the destruction, it should not be thought that I have no heart or do not care or have any feelings about it because I refuse to allow grief to consume me right now. Maybe later I'll cry more, but for right now, I feel strong, I have faith in the people on the scenes who are there to help the injured. I have faith in my fellow countrymen to carry us all through this so that we can all live again.

------------------

You know childhood is over when a puddle seems like an obstacle instead of an opportunity.

Is Too! Is Not! Is Too! Is Not!

Old 09-11-2001, 02:33 PM   #37
Nachtrafe
Red Wizard of Thay

Quote:
Originally posted by MagiK:
Avatar...I tried to give you the benefit of the doubt but you are most definatley the biggest ass I have ever encounterd on the net, I attribute it to your youth, I hope you never truely know horror in your life...then again it might just give you a soul. Moni..you are old enough to know better. Shame on you.

I am so sad that people can't put their petty fears and ignorances aside to tull together in times of tragedy. Why don't some of you go out and donate some blood because we are going to need all we can get here. 20'000+ people in the Pentagon at 9am on any particular day, 50,000+ people working at the WTC and another 10,000+ visiting the wtc...it is going to be a major strain on our blood supplies.

Hear Hear Magik.

Addressing the blood...people are literally lined up in the streets outside of NY hospitals waiting to give blood. Its awesome! I'm going to go down to the local red cross myself tomorrow(day off) and donate. Already called my congressmans office to find out where to send money to help with costs.

And people. Please stop with the petty sniping. Like it or lump it. George Bush is our President. Get behind him, and support him in this time of national crisis. Dont be petty and tear him down. For all of those outside the US, please dont snipe at our Chief Exec. now is not the right time to engage in political sniping. You are very likely to get rather viciously bitten by people who would normally be very nice. We, as a general rule, have a tendency to forget all of our differences in the face of outside threat, and nuke said threat back to the stone age.

Thee against Me...but Thee *AND* Me against an outside enemy.
Old 09-11-2001, 02:58 PM   #38
MILAMBER
Lord Soth

Quote:
Originally posted by Nachtrafe:
And people. Please stop with the petty sniping. Like it or lump it. George Bush is our President. Get behind him, and support him in this time of national crisis. Dont be petty and tear him down. For all of those outside the US, please dont snipe at our Chief Exec. now is not the right time to engage in political sniping. You are very likely to get rather viciously bitten by people who would normally be very nice. We, as a general rule, have a tendency to forget all of our differences in the face of outside threat, and nuke said threat back to the stone age.

Testify!!! And BTW, glad you made it over here Nachtrafe. IW is my main stomping ground.

------------------
"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his."
-General George Patton (1885-1945)

Member of CLAN HADB
Old 09-11-2001, 03:00 PM   #39
Moni

[I]Somehow this post was the beginning of something that screwed up this thread completely (it showed up in code with everyone's posts combined and garbled on this end) so I deleted it and am reposting what I had earlier so that my words to MajiK do not go unheard.

Quote:
Originally posted by MagiK:
Moni, I don't fault you for not being able to donate, it is not your fault that you are anemic.

What I ment by you are old enough to know better, is that (in my opinion which admittedly doesnt count for much) You should not be taking cheap shots at any of our leadership in this time of grief and crisis and egging on a juvenile person to do the same. Sorry if that was not your intent, but being here very close to the pentagon, Im not in much of a mood to make fine distinctions of "humor" for people joking about the deaths of my friends and countrymen.

No it was not my intent to egg on any jokes, just to point out that Avatar, has a point in that we all need to lighten up a little. Your opinion accounts for quite a bit. I did not realize how close you are to the situation. Rest easy knowing that as much disdain as I may hold for our country's leader, I am being careful about what I say and that you and your friends and family are not going without my heartfelt support during this crisis.

I don't think any jokes made were at the expense of your friends and family or any victims for that matter and I apologize that you have been hurt not just by the tragedies that occured today, but by what you have read here as well.

I do love you and out of respect for you, I will be more careful about what I say about Mr. Bush.

------------------

You know childhood is over when a puddle seems like an obstacle instead of an opportunity.

Is Too! Is Not! Is Too! Is Not!

Old 09-11-2001, 03:04 PM   #40
Nachtrafe
Red Wizard of Thay

Quote:
Originally posted by MILAMBER:
Testify!!! And BTW, glad you made it over here Nachtrafe. IW is my main stomping ground.

Yeah. Too bad it took something so senseless and sad to bring me out and start me posting. Glad to be here nonetheless. *Smiling sadly*

------------------
"That looks pretty fatal. I think you have to return to the Character generation section."
One player to another