Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-31-2004, 05:13 PM   #1
Lucern
Quintesson

Hello people,

I found this little rpg at Half-Priced Books for $2, which was a great price since I had only read mostly negative reviews of it. However, they mentioned that somewhere in it was a great, deep role-playing game if you could handle certain technical difficulties. On top of that, I find an active forum to a 5 year old game! That's evidence enough to delve into it, especially since I spent 3 hours looking through the manual and crafting my party. I'm also generally like somewhat underdog RPGs, as I enjoyed Temple of Elemental Evil despite similar reviews.

I have already read through the Tech section and a couple of the Best Tips posts to solve the XP problems, and I thank you folks for creating those sections. Otherwise I wouldn't have been able to play at all in the 3 days it took to get my registration approved.

Now for my lingering questions:

Will my Oomphaz warrior ever find 'suit-able' armor? (heh heh) Or will he become the great robed paladin?

Not that I'll find it even if it's there, mind you. The game is rather dark, which I read an old archive thread about. My options seem to be to accept that it's a dark world without electric lighting and flashlights (I do have a Whiskas and Illuminate at my command), or something involving a command line and my Geforce video card. The latter thing I only saw referenced indirectly, as Nvidia's Geforce FAQ site directs you to Heuristic Park's web site for the answer, which is of course down or moved. I do think there's some graphics related problem though, in the forest off the trail (where it's supposed to be somewhat darker), I jumped off of my horse, didn't take a step, and couldn't find my horse again because I couldn't even see it. Surely I could at least smell it lol.

Does anyone know what's involved in getting ability points when you gain a level? My rogue often gets three, others 2, my warriors usually 1 or 2. Is this based on intellect? My warriors are currently about as smart as doorknobs.

Thanks for your help, and I'm happy to see a community for this game here.
Lucern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 05:30 PM   #2
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Welcome to the boards, Lucern! May life in the Gael Serran prove everything you hope... and them some [img]smile.gif[/img]

And congrats on picking up the game at a ridiculously low price. Was that an on-line or off-line purchase?

Now, for your questions...

You will eventually find armor for your Oomphaz. It will be identified as Oomphaz war leather, Oomphaz chain, and IIRC, Oomphaz plate. So don't despair. However, some people have a hard time finding it; the loot selection is random, so there's a chance you may not find anything. Fortunately, I think Dragon Plate fits everyone...

The game can be rather dark. If you use the patch, there is a command line option to increase the lighting; the syntax is covered in the patch help. If not, you can increase your gamma in the game (control settings, graphics) and also brighten your monitor. I have been known to use the cursor in the dark... waiting for it to change to a red or blue circle when I can finally do something.

And for your third question, are you talking about attribute points (STR, INT, etc.), or skill points?

Attribute points are won the first time you reach a new level. You get one point by default, provided you have at least one attribute below 18, and the game also "rerolls" your attribute scores. If the reroll is higher than your current total, you may get a second and even a third attribute point. Once you've reached 18 in all attributes, you gain no more.

Skills work similarly, but differently. At each level up, you get a skill point. If this is the first time at that level, you get (INT/4) skill points. If you've already been this level before (say, a level 5 warrior becoming a barbarian), you won't get more than one skill point until you exceed your old level (level 6 barbarian, in this case). And that holds true no matter how many classes you've been.

HTH, and come on back for more questions, and to tell us how your game is progressing
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 06:33 PM   #3
bsftcs
Red Dragon

Welcome to the board, Lucern. [img]graemlins/happywave.gif[/img] Yes, we are some who still consider this game among the very best. [img]smile.gif[/img]

I see you have been well answered... [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-31-2004, 07:12 PM   #4
Lucern
Quintesson

Well answered indeed! Thanks!

Looks like my Oomphaz will work out after all. I'm glad to see an RPG that allows for effective 'unlikely' hero types. Although if I were an enormous elephantine guy, I might pick up a sword rather than study magic lol. I suppose its not as unlikely as my halfling barbarian in that Temple of Elemental Evil game and his half-orc wizard friend.

It also looks like my warriors will benefit from becoming more intelligent. I'm dealing with the dark, but I'll definately check out the patch command line.

I'm currently in the asylum part of the crypt, though I've spent an entire day and night exploring the forest and lake area. I couldn't find the toad village, but I've got bsftcs's maps for when I'm ready to cheat a little.

I'll keep you posted, and thanks again for the quick and informative response.
Old 08-31-2004, 07:16 PM   #5
Lucern
Quintesson

Oh, and I almost forgot. It was an off-line purchase, second hand with a bit of a beat-up box. Looks unused or nearly unused anyway. I'm happy with it, and I've gotten quite a few great finds at this location (since it opened so recently)
Old 09-01-2004, 10:59 AM   #6
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

Welcome to the board, Lucern!!!

As is quite typical, I'm off the board for half a day and return to find that you've been greeted and given excellent replies to your questions!

This game wasn't given good reviews which I always considered a rather bad reflection on reviewers. I think they are rushed through games to meet their deadlines and don't have the time to really learn what a game is like. W&W certainly has it's problems but it is an amazingly flexible, fun game!!

Adjusting your gamma and monitor should take care of the too dark appearance. I know I managed to set my own games so that I was quite comfortable with the available lighting. I did generally have Illumination on as well which probably helped.

The Tech Tips is a wonderful collaboration by our techie inclined regulars here! I can't praise them enough for the fine work they did. Their efforts have helped so many players!!!
The Best Tips has lots of useful information! Sometimes it is easier just to post on the board. We're a friendly group here and don't mind answering the same questions that we've answered many times before!

I hope you will really enjoy W&W! It is one of my all time favorite CRPGs! Do keep us posted on how your game is going!!

Wyv
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 12:33 PM   #7
So So
Zhentarim Guard

Welcome to the board Lucern...

and yea... like wyv said... some of the best help around is here... all you have to do is ask...
Old 09-03-2004, 03:07 AM   #8
Lucern
Quintesson

This may sound silly, but I'll ask nonetheless.

Re: Bungleau's post: You mention the "patch help", but I looked around and can't seem to find this. Is it a post? In the Best Tips? I've got the gamma and monitor turned all the way up, and it's playable, but if I can make it just a bit lighter I'll be happy. Maybe my 7 year old monitor has finally had it lol.

Thanks again

Game update: I made it out of the crypt and much to my dismay it was again night. I identified everything I found, and selling what I didn't want I barely broke even! I found some nice items anyway, and the Dragon Shield in particular will make my barely armored Oomphaz quite annoying to my opponents!
Old 09-03-2004, 07:53 AM   #9
bsftcs
Red Dragon

The description of the patch can be found on page 8 of the best tips.
Old 09-03-2004, 11:53 AM   #10
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Sorry. The "patch help" I was referring to is the readme.txt in the patch zip file.

If you're patched, there's a setting for brightness in the dungeons. Basically, on the command line to run W&W, you add -light=16 (or something like that), and it increases the brightness in the game.

I think this is covered in Best Tips, towards the end of the pages. If not, I'll have to dig it up later.

One note: if you sell something that hasn't been identified, you get half its real value. Identifying it costs half its real value. So if you identify something and sell it, you get what you would have received, had you not identified it.

However, when you identify, every thing of that type is identified. So if you've got five swords, identify one as a rusty short sword and the other four are also identified. Then, when you sell, you break even on the first sword, but make a profit on the others. Every bit helps... [img]smile.gif[/img]

The percentages change when you get the merchant trait, but the process is still the same.

So make sure that when you identify things, you have the same character holding them all. Saves you money, it does [img]smile.gif[/img]

And on a side note, shields unfortunately don't do much besides give you a chance to parry a blow. They don't improve your AC at all But they're still pretty cool...
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote