Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 10-24-2001, 05:54 PM   #1
Nanobyte
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

OK, I have done this before with BG1 and TotSC, but what I want to know is if you can use it with BG2 and ToB. Is it possible to have 2 games running with only BG2 and ToB?
Old 10-24-2001, 06:00 PM   #2
Grojlach
Zartan

Not that I know of... If it is, it's certainly news to me.

------------------
Not a member of any clan and is cool with that.
Talk about anything you want at The Elysium.
For online roleplaying, check The Elysium Gaming Project.
Old 10-24-2001, 06:02 PM   #3
Lucre
Elminster

Do you mean seperate games going through SoA and ToB? Or two games running at the same time, but that would be pointless.

------------------

-Lucre, Ninja Wossname

[This message has been edited by Lucre (edited 10-24-2001).]
Old 10-24-2001, 06:04 PM   #4
andrewas
Harper

You mean run two computer with only one copy of BG2. thats illegal!

step 1 - use a full install. when you have a full install, it dosent have to access the disc AT ALL, except for verifying you have it. so u can load up and then give the disc to the other machine.

step 2 - go to www.gamecopyworld.com. currently on the main page under the new games section you will find ToB. downlaod the crack. install it. now you dont need the cd at all. (no i dont use one copy on two machines, i just dont like scratching CDs to no purpose).

step 3 - axe your harddrive when the police come knocking. dont format. they can read through a format. linux SHRED might do the trick, but likley u wont have the time.

hope this helps. remember, i did not say this, i was not here.

Old 10-24-2001, 06:10 PM   #5
Nanobyte
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

No what I do is place the Expansion CD in one computer, and replace that with CD-2 of BG. Then I use the Expansion CD in the other computer. It isn't pointless if you plan on playing with a friend that is in the same building.
Old 10-24-2001, 06:11 PM   #6
Grojlach
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Lucre:
Do you mean seperate games going through SoA and ToB? Or two games running at the same time, but that would be pointless.

No, I think he refers to multiplayer games... There are games out there which are created this way that in an interaction between two computers, one can become the "complete host", both players playing the game while only one computer uses the CD-ROMS of the game. But as far as I know, this is not the case with BG2. Of course, you can run the game with only one set of CD-ROM's, but you'll need to exchange them then during loading sessions, since every computer has to load all the pretty big levels into the data folder first before being able to continue the game...

------------------
Old 10-24-2001, 06:20 PM   #7
andrewas
Harper

which is precisley why you should both 1) do a full install - no CD swapping or in fact any access at all, and 2) install a no-cd patch, throwing CDs around is one way to destroy them. and taking them out of their case at all is something to be avoided.

Or, you COULD duplicate the ToB CD, it _is_ protected by Laserlok protection, but any decent CDR with the right software should cut through that no problem - for a first gen copy anyway. the cds for BG2 SoA are _not_ protected at all.
boith of these are technically illegal if and only if you run more computers than you have copies simultaneously. i dont see anybody jailing you or giving a big fine tho

Old 10-24-2001, 06:51 PM   #8
Skunk
Banned User

Ummm. Not quite.

It is NOT illegal to copy CDs (even if they are copy protected) provided that:
a) The copy is not passed on to a third party and
b) The copy is not installed on a second machine.

Clear? So copying CD's is perfectly LEGAL - installing on multiple machines is not.

So in answer to the original question:
Yes it is possible and no, it is not legal.

Look Grojlach, this is a GREAT GAME and fantastic value for money. Just buy two copies - it's worth it...
Old 10-24-2001, 07:08 PM   #9
Grojlach
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Skunk:

Look Grojlach, this is a GREAT GAME and fantastic value for money. Just buy two copies - it's worth it...
Why do you direct that remark to me? I wasn't the one asking that question, I merely answered it.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Grojlach (edited 10-24-2001).]
Old 10-24-2001, 07:18 PM   #10
Grojlach
Zartan

Oh, and on a side note, yes, I make a copy of BG2 for personal use. Why? Because it's common knowledge the way the original CD-ROM's are burned isn't very good, there's a more technical explanation for this but I'm too fuzzy to recall it completely and too lame to look it up, but those BG cd-roms are worn out sooner than they should. From my original BG1 cd-roms, 3 out of 6 don't even work any more, and I'm really glad I made a few extra copies of them, else I couldn't play the game at all anymore without buying the game again and running the risk of having quickly worn out cd-roms as well. Perhaps I will look that info up, but it's actually a fact. Especially the BG1 CD-ROM's are, technically speaking, of a very dubious quality...

------------------