Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-12-2008, 04:30 AM   #1
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

Looking Around Aussies, please correct me if this news is true.. I am so heartbroken now.

Quote:
Australia bans Fallout 3

UPDATE: Upcoming Bethesda game refused classification Down Under by ratings body; OFLC report confirms banning is due to showing positive effects of in-game drug use.
By Randolph Ramsay, GameSpot AU
Posted Jul 9, 2008 4:38 am PT
Rumours were swirling late last week that Australia's strict games classification regime had struck its highest-profile victim for 2008, with Fallout 3 apparently being refused a rating. It seems the rumours were true, with confirmation coming tonight that Bethesda's upcoming postapocalyptic action RPG has indeed been banned for sale in Australia.

The most recent update for the Web site of Australia's Office of Film and Literature Classification (OFLC) shows that Fallout 3 has been refused classification. Unlike films or DVDs, the highest rating allowable for a game in Australia is MA 15+, which means any title that has content deemed unsuitable for a 15-year-old is illegal to sell or promote in this country.

While the OFLC website has no details on why Fallout 3 was banned, a user in GameSpot's PC forum last week suggested it could be due to the use of the drug morphine within the game. Australia's game classification rules state that titles that "depict, express or otherwise deal with matters of sex, drug misuse or addiction, crime, cruelty, violence or revolting or abhorrent phenomena in such a way that they offend against the standards of morality, decency and propriety generally accepted by reasonable adults" will be refused classification.

Fallout 3 is the third game in 2008 to be banned in Australia. Dark Sector was originally refused classification, although an edited version has recently been resubmitted and passed with an MA 15+ rating. Last week, Shellshock 2 was banned due to graphic violent content.

UPDATE: Australia's OFLC has provided GameSpot AU with a copy of its Board's ruling on Fallout 3, which states that the game was indeed refused classification because it contains "material promoting or encouraging proscribed drug use".

In its ruling, the OFLC states that "the game contains the option to take a variety of drugs known as chems using a device which is connected to the character's arm."

"These chems have postive and some negative effects (lowering of intelligence, or the character may become addicted to the chem). The positive effects include increase in strength, stamina, resistance to damage, agility, and hit points. Corresponding with the list of various chems are small visual representations of the drugs; these include syringes, tablets, pill bottles, a crack-type pipe, and blister packs. In the Board's view, these realistic visual representation of drugs and their delivery method bring the 'science-fiction' drugs in line with 'real-world' drugs.

"The player can also select and use Morphine (a proscribed drug) which has the positive effect of enabling the character to ignore limb pain when the character's extremities are targeted by the enemy." In Fallout 1 and 2, players could take a wide range of drugs both to boost health and character attributes. Both games were freely available for sale in Australia and were rated M.

And despite the violence in the game, the OFLC's ruling is solely concerned with drug use in Fallout 3. In the ruling, the OFLC states that "the violence throughout the game could be accommodated at an MA 15+ level of classification".

A Bethesda spokesperson declined to comment when contacted by GameSpot AU. Fallout 3's Australian distributors Red Ant also refused to comment. The company suffered a similar setback with another game it was distributing in Australia last year, when Blitz: The League was refused classification due to similar in-game drug issues. For more information on Australia's game classification system, check out our special Censory Overload feature.
http://au.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/fallou...pdates;title;1

Dangit

Catch me if you can..
Harkoliar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 05:27 AM   #2
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

Default Re: Aussies, please correct me if this news is true.. I am so heartbroken now.

I applaud them for taking a stand! Content like that can only lead to tragedy.
Old 07-12-2008, 05:42 AM   #3
wellard
Dracolisk

Default Re: Aussies, please correct me if this news is true.. I am so heartbroken now.

Ahhh censorship , guess that means I will have to go out of my way to buy it and pass it on to everyone I know. At least it is guaranteed to sell big numbers now.

Now if you will excuse me i have to get back to the tv program I was watching that shows explicit drug use, violence to women and war, all at the peak time for children watching ... the news .....

fossils - natures way of laughing at creationists for over 3 billion years
wellard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 05:51 AM   #4
Unglaublich Verwustung
Silver Dragon

Oh, for a minute I thought you must be watching Cartoon Network...

Make a decision, even if it's wrong, and remember....

...it's never too early for a salad.
Unglaublich Verwustung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 07:50 AM   #5
Lavindathar
Harper

Lol, what a joke.

People are far too sensitive now-a-days. It's why the world is going downhill. Things are getting stupid.
Old 07-12-2008, 08:32 AM   #6
Beaumanoir
Iron Throne Cult

Hey, I know the last time my character went out and tried Skooma, I instantly went down to the street corner trying to score myself a hit.

Apparently drug dearlers had never heard of it. They're not down with the Elder Scrolls...
Old 07-12-2008, 09:08 AM   #7
wellard
Dracolisk

I'm just going to play duke nukem the one where he smokes that killer drug ---- tobacco --- hey but thats only killed milions so no reason to censor that is there

fossils - natures way of laughing at creationists for over 3 billion years
wellard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 10:39 AM   #8
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

I'm going to go against the grain, and say I support making sure underage kids aren't exposed to "role-playing" addictive drug use.

It's not a matter of nanny laws protecting adults, but protecting kids who are not yet adults from making idiotic decisions that may ruin their lives.

I'm happy to limit my own life, and not enjoy a thing, if it means my child will not be harmed by the said thing.

http://www.hughwilson.com
Yorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 10:42 AM   #9
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellard View Post
I'm just going to play duke nukem the one where he smokes that killer drug ---- tobacco --- hey but thats only killed milions so no reason to censor that is there
Tobacco in films actually has lead to kids being addicted.

http://www.hughwilson.com

Last edited by Yorick; 07-13-2008 at 01:48 AM.
Yorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 11:46 AM   #10
Lavindathar
Harper

No chance.

Kids start smoking possibly cos mother or daddy does, I can see that. But because Bruce Wayne does? Nah.

He kills millions of cowboys, do the kids? No.

they start smoking because of peer pressure and other kids do and its cool cos its risque. Not because of films or games.

It's like you can't say blackboard any more. It's now chalkboard. Get a life. It's called a blackboard because its BLACK. Nothing to do with racism.

This censorship/policitcal correctness is going mad.