Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Old 07-23-2011, 02:30 AM   #1
Sparhawk
Quintesson

Default Norway killings

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-14259356

At least 80 people dead on island in Norway when crazy gunman executed young left wing people from a political party - he started the day off by setting of a bomb by the OED building in Oslo downtown trying to kill the prime minister ( also of the left wing party ) but failed - the bomb did claim 7 lives and injured 90 people besides blowing out windows in a large area.

Now I normally write on the Simon Wiesenthal Center's facebook page - primarily used by people whom seem inclined to support Israel and the level of bigotry and jumping to conclusions really surprised me.
We know this is the work of a mad man, a right wing nuthead that has to be a complete mad man to walk around executing people the way he did - but still people jumped with the attitude *strike back at muslim terror etc*

Now...I would never support terror, however I think we in the west are as bad escalating the situation by jumping to conclusions and often much worse our show of bigotry towards a religion instead of targeting the extremists and I wonder how will we ever overcome this hatred. The supposed victims....correct that...the victims of WW2 and holocaust had issues and imho had a grievance worth mentioning - how come many of the younger generation i.e those that did not live through holocaust still maintain that they are victims? Get over it....move on - and do your ■■■■■■■ duty to make the world a better place for ALL of us...and not just the ones enjoying your religion?

Am I asking too much?

Am I naiive?

Or do I actually have a good point here?
"Between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the rise of the sons of Arius. There was an age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world. Hither came Conan, the cimmarian, sword in hand. It is I, his chronicler who knows well his saga. Now let me tell you of the days of high adventure!"

"Unleash the Casey!"

"Make no mistake, should you choose to test my resolve in this matter, you will be looking at an outcome that will have a finality, that is beyound your comprehension. And you will not counting the days or the months or the years, but milleniums in a place with no doors!"
Sparhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 02:27 PM   #2
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Default Re: Norway killings

I was hoping that number stayed at 9, but I knew the way the police were acting, it was much worse. f'ing crazy people out there. Another 'head shaker'. Just don't get that... and going after YOUTH?

coward...

The Great Escape Studios - 2D/3D Modeling
www.tgeweb.com & Ziroc's Facebook Page
Visit My Flickr Photo Album
Ziroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 03:20 PM   #3
Sparhawk
Quintesson

I am completely on page with you there - he walked around for 1˝ hour killing young people on sight - and first show of armed police he dropped the guns and surrendered without any resistance. I am against death penalty but I must admit that belief is strained and tested somewhat in this case - but to be honest - putting him to death would also just be too easy.
"Between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the rise of the sons of Arius. There was an age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world. Hither came Conan, the cimmarian, sword in hand. It is I, his chronicler who knows well his saga. Now let me tell you of the days of high adventure!"

"Unleash the Casey!"

"Make no mistake, should you choose to test my resolve in this matter, you will be looking at an outcome that will have a finality, that is beyound your comprehension. And you will not counting the days or the months or the years, but milleniums in a place with no doors!"
Sparhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 07:22 PM   #4
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

Doesn't Norway have a very conservative gun law like the rest of mainland Europe?

How can things of this nature happen?

I feel for those teens on that island that survived. And feel grievance to the families of the ones who did not. They are all scarred for life. That one young man, "I was running to and from trying to help people, and many could not be helped". Horrible!

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy
35th President of The United States

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

Jesus died for our sins, and American Soldiers died for our freedom.

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Felix The Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 08:19 PM   #5
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Same here, but In this case, I bet they'd make an exception for his hanging in town square like the olden days.

What I don't understand was this -- it was a police/army youth camp right? like ROTC in the USA? was there no security? Even ONE person with a simple sidearm 22c could have ended it before NINTY MINUTES (thats what we're hearing). just crazy...

Old 07-23-2011, 08:21 PM   #6
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Yep.. a LOT of survivor guilt it going to happen now. Its normal.. they HAD TO run away from so many friends to save themselves. Something we can't comprehend unless it happened to us... sad as hell.

Old 07-23-2011, 08:36 PM   #7
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

In most European countries like Norway - especially a little picturesque island like this one, cops are few and far between. They usually only appear if you call them. It is not like in the states where you see a cop on the roads at least once an hour or less. Or where you see them patrolling the streets intermittantly during the night. I have found in Europe that residents are left largely to their own devices. These incidents are just so rare and unheard of because of restrictive gun-laws in these states, that there usually is not a need for a heavy, consitent police presence everywhere. Sure, in the big cities you will see them patrolling the streets but the lesser areas receive less attention.

Also in a very many European countries cops don't carry guns so they woulda been in the same boat had they approached him. I don't know much about Norway specifically (I can't remember if their cops have guns) and the story is still developing, but I also wonder about the time it took. But then, this is a little island somehwat secluded. And to make matters worse, the dude was dressed as a cop. I imagine this led to all kids of confusion and chaos. I agree, those kids will be scarred. Hoping they get the mental treatment they need to come to terms with this. Reminds us a bit of that Loughner guy, crazed out of his mind.
Old 07-24-2011, 04:52 AM   #8
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziroc View Post
Same here, but In this case, I bet they'd make an exception for his hanging in town square like the olden days.

What I don't understand was this -- it was a police/army youth camp right? like ROTC in the USA? was there no security? Even ONE person with a simple sidearm 22c could have ended it before NINTY MINUTES (thats what we're hearing). just crazy...
It was a political movement youth day, politicians usually don't carry firearms, at least not in this part of the world.
Old 07-24-2011, 05:02 AM   #9
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion

On a sidenote, some American press agency released a statement shortly after the attacks that some islamic jihadgroup was responsible for the attacks, they even came up with the group's name and the name of their supposed leader (can't seem to recall both atm) and their motives (Mohammed cartoons and Norwegian military involvement in Afghanistan and Lybia). Now, i realize we have freedom of press and all that jazz, but if you release an incrminating story like that, aren't you supposed to at least be able to back that story up with some hard evidence? They DO realise that releasing blatant lies like that could have lead to even more violence, don't they? It's almost like they were actually HOPING that there were muslims involved.
Old 07-24-2011, 12:58 PM   #10
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny View Post
On a sidenote, some American press agency released a statement shortly after the attacks that some islamic jihadgroup was responsible for the attacks, they even came up with the group's name and the name of their supposed leader (can't seem to recall both atm) and their motives (Mohammed cartoons and Norwegian military involvement in Afghanistan and Lybia). Now, i realize we have freedom of press and all that jazz, but if you release an incrminating story like that, aren't you supposed to at least be able to back that story up with some hard evidence? They DO realise that releasing blatant lies like that could have lead to even more violence, don't they? It's almost like they were actually HOPING that there were muslims involved.
That is what we have been attuned for, standard US media protocol! Get the story out, fix what is incorrect later (if at all), just be the first to get it on the AIR!

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy
35th President of The United States

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

Jesus died for our sins, and American Soldiers died for our freedom.

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Felix The Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote