Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 01-04-2001, 02:22 PM   #1
Eddith
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I have a monk in my party and I cant for the life of me figure out how to use her special ability - the "Stunning Blow" (or whatever it's called) - in any case, does a monk have to be totally unarmed to perform this move?

Someone please tell me what I am missing here because what I thought would be a real cool character class has been a real bummer so far. All she's good for is walking faster than my other party members. She makes me real proud when we have to retreat to avoid battle ;o)

Eddith
Old 01-04-2001, 03:40 PM   #2
Penguin Boy

The stunning blow is in the special abilities menu, on the bottom right of your screen. And yes, you do have to be unarmed to use it. Kudos on playing the monk, I think it's a very underappreciated class for how well it is in battle

Old 01-04-2001, 06:36 PM   #3
Ronn

MONKS RULE BABY!!!!!

While in battle, pause (if u need to), choose your special ability button (star shaped), and click on stunning blow (release pause if u used it). You don't need to retarget your monk he will still go after his last target. For the next 6 seconds (gametime) anyone your monk hits, who fails their saving throw, is stunned and just stands there while u (and anybody else who wants some) kicks their butt. Your monk while gain a special/temporary icon on his picture to let u know it's working.

Later in your game, higher level monks get "quivering palm" which works the same way, except instead of saving against stun they have to save vs death!

Monks are the best characters in a game of this level. Probably not fun at levels 1-6, but since BGII starts at 7 and goes to max it's perfect

Old 01-04-2001, 06:38 PM   #4
Ronn

I don't know everything, but if u have any other monk questions feel free to email me. Just click on the letter icon above my post.

Old 01-05-2001, 04:52 AM   #5
RedArrow

Monks are awesome! My now level 19 monk kicks the living shit out of anything. Not being able to wear armor is a minor set back in the begining because although you can't wear armor you can still wear rings, belts, necklaces, cloaks etc. He has a -9 AC, 100 hp(91 but with an a had slot item i becomes 100), can attack 4 times and has THAC0 of -6! I must admit tho before his fists become +2 weapons sometimes his effectiveness decreases a lot against vampires, liches, golems etc. But after that and after level14, where you get 3 pts of magic resistance per level he resists many spells. For example last night I was in the mind flayer dungeon in Underdark. I had cast chaotic commands on 3 of my men but it ran out while I was half way the dungeon. So I changed strategy and made them all use bows and slings except my monk who had 72 MR with items at the time. With 5 mindflayers and 2 umberhulks beating on him, may be only once they were able to drain his int, their other attacks didn't do anything! OK one time they mazed him but the battle was close to the very end anyway I can safely say that high level monks are overpowered. It's logical tho cause they are a pain to play in lower levels so you reap the benefits of sticking to him.

Old 01-05-2001, 07:13 AM   #6
bocaj

I know this wasn't the topic but I thaought I should show off. so here is my monks stats:
str:18
dex:18
con:18
int:13
wis:14
chr:18 (because of magic ring)
that is all without cheating. he is level 16 and can have armor
that is right he can have armor. it makes his ac -9

oh and I don't think you have to be unarmed to stunn. I know I don't.

Old 01-05-2001, 07:58 AM   #7
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

The Monk is my favourite class in BG2. Totally rocks.
Old 01-05-2001, 02:02 PM   #8
Artea

how the .... can a monk use armor?

Old 01-05-2001, 03:30 PM   #9
Cleric
Welcomed New User

Work the gloves of hammering with monks too ? make they the hands 4+ our get they 4+ ??!!
Old 01-06-2001, 08:55 AM   #10
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Bocaj, I think you're using a loophole in the program to wear this armor if it's the armor I'm thinking about, and that is called cheating...

...not that there's anything wrong with that but sorry, monks CANNOT wear armor (and wouldn't want to anyway, your natural AC goes so low why would you want to?)