Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-26-2005, 12:04 AM   #11
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Bungleau:
Wyv, you brought a tear to my eye. I used to have all of MM1 mapped out... every map square, dungeon, and castle.... with that same color-coded detail (only not as nicely, I'm sure [img]smile.gif[/img] ). Every single trap was marked, every door, every space where something special happened (like the black and white checkered walls).... and somehow, I lost it in my travels. In some move or another, that folder got thrown away *sniff*
Believe it or not, I actually memorize the entire MM1 maps by hard. I knew where is where and some of my buddies back in 3do community board just couldn't believe it.

I really like MM6, do you know I actually spent 6 game months trying to clear out the abandoned temple at New Sorpigal with lv1 naked characters? Yes, you heard me correct, lvl 1 character wearing nothing but just clubs. Well, That's what I get for not reading the game manual first.
Kakero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 08:34 AM   #12
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Bungleau:
Wyv, you brought a tear to my eye. I used to have all of MM1 mapped out... every map square, dungeon, and castle.... with that same color-coded detail (only not as nicely, I'm sure [img]smile.gif[/img] ). Every single trap was marked, every door, every space where something special happened (like the black and white checkered walls).... and somehow, I lost it in my travels. In some move or another, that folder got thrown away *sniff*

Pop 'n Fresh, there's a whole IW board on the Baldur's gate series. Actually, I think there are three -- BG and Tales of the Sword Coast, BG2: Hordes of the Underworld, and BG2: Swords of Undrentide (or something like that). The BG board is a "classic" game like W&W... the folks there have been very helpful to me.

Ahhh.... the life of a classic gamer....
Oh gee - well I haven't looked at my M&M 1 map in a zillion ages but we are in the process of weeding through the masses of ages and if I chance upon it, I'll see if I can get a copy made down at my art store (as if you REALLY need this! ). I'm sure I had the traps etc. all mapped as well. I have tons of maps from so many games - back when a square was a square and every movement was from one square to another. Then game companies figured out they could make even more money by publishing the maps, and strategies - wow - and a special part of gaming disappeared.
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 08:39 AM   #13
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Kakero:

Believe it or not, I actually memorize the entire MM1 maps by hard. I knew where is where and some of my buddies back in 3do community board just couldn't believe it.
I can easily believe that - there were maps I got to know so well that I could do them blindfolded! [img]smile.gif[/img] Early Wizardry was like that because there were routes to reoccuring encounters that I'd do over and over again. I can remember dreaming about going through some areas in games because I had done them so often in real life!
Old 01-26-2005, 08:44 AM   #14
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Pop 'n Fresh:
..... I have never heard of alot of these games. I have heard of the Wizardry series and Baldurs Gate. I hate that stupid Baldurs gate. I couldnt get past the tutorial. They told me to use a scroll (or a spell can't remember) on a person and i did then they told me to do it again so i did and they told me too do it again .... etc. Either my grey matter has faded into nothingness or theres sumthing wrong wid the game.

You ppl seem to know alot about these games so could u help me???
I managed to get through the tutorial okay but what I didn't like about BG was having too many quests thrown at me by just walking down the street and having too many NPCs offer to join my party. There were other things too but it isn't important to list them. I know it is a well loved game by many which is a good thing - it just wasn't my cup of tea.
Old 01-26-2005, 10:04 AM   #15
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

If you find 'em, Wyv, I'll take 'em... I put in MM1 a couple of years ago (from one of the classic editions, with the SlowMo software), and I didn't get far. I think it's because I remember what I went through to map everything out, and I didn't want to do it again.

I do agree -- the proliferation of walk-throughs makes everything a whole lot easier, and takes out some of the excitement and thrill.

And I'm also not quite sure what to make of all these critters who want to join my BG party. I'm full up at this point, and I'm not sure who (aside from the annoying bard) I'd like to get rid of.
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 12:25 PM   #16
pritchke
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Wizards and Warriors - will not say anything bad about this one . Actually is one of my favorites.

Ultima 4 - Loved this game, and to me is probaly the best of the series.

M&M 1 to 8. Never made it through 1 & 2 but they were classics, 3,4, and 5 had improved interface and were fun. 6 & 7 are the best in the series for me, while the technology thing was sort of annoying depending upon the path you choose in 7 they sort of had a good explanation. 8 was nice, I mean it was cool that you could be a lich or vampire but I found the game rather short.

Planescape: Torment - Very good RPG, different than most as well.

IWD I&II - More of a hack a slash but I loved these just the same, and I have played through IWD I more than any other game. First time through IWD I was not aware of the pause button and went through in real time (Very hard!!!!)

BG I & II - nice games as well, and will play them again. I find BG II annoying when I screw up in the underdark.

Fallout I, II & Tactics - all very good . Fallout II while I enjoyed it immensly the alians were annoying. 1 was really good but second and 3rd times through it really, really short. I may play it again, boosting my luck to see if I can't get all the special encounters. Tactics, less roleplay, but no complaints from me.

Soulbringer - Took some getting used to but once I got the hang of it I really enjoyed it.

Diablo - found it OK but there are lots of other RPG's I prefer to play

Darkstone - Really Good RPG, I still don't believe I obtained all the quest.

Final Fantasy 7 - Very good game and story.

Neverwinter Nights - Why bother with paying for a MMORPG when you can play online with this baby. My favorite online game, and the solo campaings are nice as well.

Those old NES games Zelda, Final Fantasy I (my first rpg), Crystalis, Destiny of an Emperor,
Dragon Warrior all fun classics.

[ 01-26-2005, 12:44 PM: Message edited by: pritchke ]
pritchke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 01:23 PM   #17
Xen
Symbol of Moradin

Here's my list:
  • Baldur's Gate - I find it boring. You're walking, walking, walking... see the pattern?
  • Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn - definitly the best game I have ever played. I still play it 24/7.
  • Baldur's Gate II: Throne of Bhaal - I like it. It makes you powerful.
  • Planscape: Torment - very good story, quests and of course dialogues. A real jewel among RPG's.
  • Icewind Dale - I don't like it. Too much hack'n'slash for my taste.
  • Icewind Dale II - see above.
  • The Elder Scrolls 3 - Morrowind: a great game with lots of freedom. Nice graphics too.
  • Neverwinter Nights - I don't like it either. It just isn't what I was expecting to be.
Xen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 12:15 AM   #18
Pop 'n Fresh
Manshoon

I got heaps of games a like alot but they arent necessarily RPG's so should i still post them in this topic or not??.

I am only 14 so i havent heard of alot of these games you people all love. Even though i couldnt get past that INFERNAL tutorial i will still have another try at Baldurs Gate: Shadows of Amn.
[img]\"http://img79.imageshack.us/img79/5936/sbadfurday00037fg.png\" alt=\" - \" /><br />BRING ME SOME SWEETCORN!<br /><br />What do the Enterprise and toilet paper have in common? They both circle Uranus in search of klingons
Pop 'n Fresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 08:37 AM   #19
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Pop 'n Fresh:
I got heaps of games a like alot but they arent necessarily RPG's so should i still post them in this topic or not??.

I am only 14 so i havent heard of alot of these games you people all love. Even though i couldnt get past that INFERNAL tutorial i will still have another try at Baldurs Gate: Shadows of Amn.
Pop - sure, go ahead and post your favorite games!
Old 01-29-2005, 12:28 AM   #20
Pop 'n Fresh
Manshoon

Ok Wyv if you say so.

Sheep: The object of the game is to herd sheep around various obstacles such as shark infested icecream, electric fences, ice-skating penguins, Evil Dr Pear's henchcows and Evil DR pear himself. So basically you try keep your sheep from being squashed or incinerated and herding them to the end of the level.

Call of Duty: Was Game based on events in World War 2. Multiple Weapons are used and all are historically based so if your looking for a magic mushroom cannon or a laser of some sort this wont be your thing.

Age of Mythology: Join Arkantos on his journey to find and kill Gargarensis who destroyed his home city of Atlantis. You build your empire and then create a vast army of men and mythological creatures to smite the enemy.

Aiken's Artifacts: You play as Agent Cain from the DNPC ( Department of National Psionic Control ) where a scientist discovers an artifact in the Middle-East which uncovers the secret to using the dormant portion of your brain thus allowing humans to use special abilities like super speed but at the cost of a portion of your sanity. Unfortunately this artifact is the key to summoning the Sanity Devourer which devours the sanity of anything with psionic abilities. So you must save the world from A: Golgotham B: Sanity Devourer
and C: Abel. You'll find out about the others when/if you play.

Unreal Tournament 2004 & 2003: You are going to win the Unreal Tournament trophy but to do so you must win the qualifying rounds, draft a team and then along with your team members fight your way to the finals where there is 1 last challenge. Malcolm the Unreal Champion wishes to keep his trophy and the only way to take it is a 1 on 1 match against him. Not recommended for those against violence. Swearing does occur but you can lessen that and the violence with the Mature option.

Wizards & Warriors: Such a great game does not require an introduction. All Hail!!!

Freelancer: You play as Trent, a freelancer who lost his spaceship on the Freeport 7 explosion. You are quickly hired by Juni, an officer for the government who could do with some extra help to assist her with her duties. She kindly donates you a ship (LAME) which is the weakest ship but it's wat you'll just have to live with. Certain High-Place government people have starting acting differently and all the Freeport 7 survivors have gone missing. You, Juni and King, a fellow government official are on a mission to find out wat is happening whilst they are being hounded by 'others' who want them to 'disappear' just like the other Freeport 7 survivors. Make Money by accomplishing missions so you can by extra weapons and/or a better ship. You can fly absolutely n e where as there are no boundarie's at all.

Well this has taken long enough so i'll jsut list the other games.

Dungeon Keeper
Worms
Unreal
DOOM (YAH!)
Heroes of Might & Magic
Diablo 2: Lord of Destruction
Roller Coaster Tycoon
WarCraft

Just because I like shooting games does not mean I am a violent savage brute. Besides games increase reflexes, problem-solving, Battle Tactics and other miscellaneous skills.

Ok people i'm done now so WAKE UP!!!!.

[ 01-29-2005, 12:34 AM: Message edited by: Pop 'n Fresh ]
[img]\"http://img79.imageshack.us/img79/5936/sbadfurday00037fg.png\" alt=\" - \" /><br />BRING ME SOME SWEETCORN!<br /><br />What do the Enterprise and toilet paper have in common? They both circle Uranus in search of klingons
Pop 'n Fresh is offline   Reply With Quote