Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-30-2005, 03:10 AM   #1
Aerich
Lord Ao

I'm curious as to what characters people think are the most well-suited to beating Battle Squares, in general.

So far, I've used a Pally[2]/Sorceress[11] (minimal use) and a Fighter[1]/Stormlord[13]. The Stormlord has done the heavy lifting, mostly using Widow-Through, a +1 keen 2-handed axe.

I favour the cleric over a more traditional tank because he has several advantages - healing, re-buffing, and "shortcut" spells that lead to easy kills - instant killers, big damage spells, and stunners.

The sorceress couldn't manage to do the number of fights necessary for the upper levels in the middle ranks (I'm on 5 right now). I had to use too many spells per fight.

Of note, I don't really have any better options than the cleric right now - I have two sorcerors (I tried with the stronger one), a rogue/wizard, a weak but practically unhittable DG monk, and a bard/druid. The weaker sorceror and the bard/druid were added around the first run through the ice temple - this party had just taken out the driders and returned to the IT to finish Battle Squares.
Old 08-30-2005, 05:04 AM   #2
ZFR
Legion Symbol

It was a pure class paladin in my first game and a ranger/paladin in hof.

I would go to the gnome outside and have him buff me (he can cast some very nice buffs e.g.: both fireshields, improved haste, stoneskin) and get some buffs too from my other party members (e.g. barskin). For higher levels I'd also use the club.

The sorcerers/mages are indeed a poor choice since they *will* run out of spells and summons are not allowed with patch... the poorest choice was probably my bard/rogue.
Old 08-30-2005, 05:41 AM   #3
Aragorn1
Symbol of Cyric

I used a fighter/barb, with the hammer of Lucren on latter levels, and stood out side the door and bashed out of their reach [img]smile.gif[/img] Might be a bit cheesy, but if i could get on the other side of a door and a monster spawned in a room couldn't, that's what I would do!
Aragorn1 is offline   Reply With Quote