Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum

Old 06-06-2013, 10:05 AM   #1
Micah Foehammer
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Exclamation Baldur's Gate: Reloaded

For many RPG fans, Baldur's Gate holds a special place in their hearts. BioWare's classic released way back in 1998, with the Tales of the Sword Coast expansion arriving the following year. Neverwinter Nights, another BioWare RPG, came out in 2002, with the Obisidan-developed sequel in 2006. Soon after Neverwinter Nights 2 arrived, the BGR Team set to work bringing Baldur's Gate and its expansion into NWN2. Now, after seven long years, Baldur's Gate: Reloaded is finally available.

Baldur's Gate: Reloaded is a "fan-made tribute to and complete remake" of Baldur's Gate and Tales of the Sword Coast, set entirely within NWN2. It requires the base NWN2 game as well as the Mask of the Betrayer and Storm of Zehir expansions, but luckily links to where to get those (if you don't own them already) are provided on the mod page. Once you have the games and the mod all installed, you'll be welcomed back into Baldur's Gate like you've never seen it before.

Everything in Baldur's Gate: Reloaded looks like the classic game we know and love, just in a brilliant 3D engine that really does wonders for a fifteen-year-old game. Be sure to follow the installation directions to get BG:R properly set up since the download is divided into six parts. Once it's installed, launch NWN2 how you normally would and then select "New Campaign -> Baldur's Gate: Reloaded" to experience the incredible fan-made mod.

Download it here:

http://neverwinter.nexusmods.com/mods/794//?

Edit: This is NOT the recently released Baldur Gate Enhanced Edition but a FREE user made mod that was seven years in the making.

http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3793&dateline=1187636  783

Last edited by Micah Foehammer; 06-06-2013 at 10:10 AM.
Micah Foehammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 06:44 PM   #2
Azred
Drow Priestess

Ironworks Forum Re: Baldur's Gate: Reloaded

I simply must tell Noty about this--she has a host of NWN and NWN2 mods that she has downloaded and enjoyed, including one that I should play through--Pool of Radiance.

No matter how thinly you slice it, it's still bologna.
Azred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 05:15 PM   #3
Gabrielles blades
Baaz Draconian

Default Re: Baldur's Gate: Reloaded

This is a pretty good port to the other engine.
kind of feel like the enemies are harder in nwn2 engine than they are in the infinity engine though; totally getting owned as my level 1 vs kobolds.
wonder if theres any mithril or adamantite ore around for crafting
Gabrielles blades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 08:10 PM   #4
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

It looks and sounds great! Sounds like a LOT of work.. I can appreciate that.
But it uses the NWN2 engine which I really dislike... from a developer standpoint, the engine is barely held together with plug-ins for splines, speed-tree and bones for npcs..

NWN1 created all that in one engine and coded it themselves. And the maps were HUGE!!

Take the new Sim City... horrid crappy game... TINY land to make a 'city' on--more like a village... (The previous Sim City--Sim City 4 had MASSIVE lands to make a city--also had farms and so much more.. you could sculpt the land, make rivers and mountains.. not so in this stinky new version... I hate reboots...) you'd think, with technologies advances and coding advancements they could make the lands AS large or LARGER.. but no.. tiny, and many other limited things...

IMO, I think it's just sloppy coding.. and/or EA has tainted the game to fail... Seems like most of what EA touches turns to shite.

The Great Escape Studios - 2D/3D Modeling
www.tgeweb.com & Ziroc's Facebook Page
Visit My Flickr Photo Album
Ziroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 08:23 PM   #5
Micah Foehammer

WTF does Sim City or EA have to do with this thread? Isn't there another thread devoted especially to ranting about the latest Sim City / EA fiasco?

http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3793&dateline=1187636  783

Last edited by Micah Foehammer; 06-08-2013 at 09:31 PM.
Old 06-10-2013, 01:50 PM   #6
Azred
Drow Priestess

Noty already knew about BG Reloaded. I did find a "Let's Play" series on it so I am checking it out. She said a lot of people were disappointed in the NWN2 engine but I didn't see too many differences between NWN and NWN2...of course, I didn't play either one very much so I didn't get into it as much as she has. In NWN I never even left the city after completing the Waterdhavian Creature quest for that plauge.....

Old 06-11-2013, 07:26 AM   #7
Micah Foehammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azred View Post
She said a lot of people were disappointed in the NWN2 engine but I didn't see too many differences between NWN and NWN2...of course, I didn't play either one very much so I didn't get into it as much as she has. In NWN I never even left the city after completing the Waterdhavian Creature quest for that plauge.....
Surprised at Noty since the Electron Engine (NWN2) uses a recoded version of Aurora (NWN1) as a starting point. I think most of the complaints on the NWN2 stemmed from issues with the launch version because once those were solved NWN2 was a MUCH better graphics system than NWN1. Oh and the map size differences were minimal - NWN1 allowed 32 x 32 at 10m while NWN2 allowed 32 x 32 at 9m.

Anyway, this should be about the mod itself. If someone wants to start a nwn1 engine vs nwn2 engine flame thread let them do it in their own thread from here on out. lol

I'm just impressed that the mod author actually finished his mod. Talk about a ton of work and never asked for anything for doing it either. Just gave it to the community. Gotta admire that.

Old 06-11-2013, 11:44 AM   #8
Azred
Drow Priestess

Modders, as you well know, are generally open with their creations and just want to share their creativity with others. I don't like most mods, though, usually preferring to fix little problems myself...with the exception of Auril's Bane for IWD. That mod was pretty darned good.

I am just now sticking my toe into the water of WeiDU--9 years late but better late than never. I have an item for BGEE, having figured out how to implement a sword of sharpness, but even though the install program executes without errors it doesn't actually do anything. *shrug* I work on it when I am not reading up for CCNA exam so it is slow going. If I were independently wealthy and didn't have to work I could mod more, if I thought it were worth it. Even then I don't think I would feel like spening the time to do something as extensive as BGR.

Old 06-22-2013, 06:29 PM   #9
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Laughing Out Loud Re: Baldur's Gate: Reloaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micah Foehammer View Post
WTF does Sim City or EA have to do with this thread? Isn't there another thread devoted especially to ranting about the latest Sim City / EA fiasco?

I think at the time, I was seething about EA. and it was late.

Since you said they've patched it up (NWN2) and its much better, I shall give it a second go and try this mod! It sounds GREAT!

The Great Escape Studios - 2D/3D Modeling
www.tgeweb.com & Ziroc's Facebook Page
Visit My Flickr Photo Album
Ziroc is offline   Reply With Quote