Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Old 12-15-2005, 08:21 AM   #1
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

I'm writing something, and I need to have dialogs, but I have a weakness with english. I'm not too familliar with popular expressions. You know, how people talk among themselves. I know english but I never speak it in real life. I'm more familiar with "proper" english. You know, the kind you'd read in a magazine or instruction manual.

So I need help with dialogs, I need to add more life and colors to it. I'm doing research, but I can't think of everything, so it would really help if you guys could give me some example of spoken english in real life. You know, the things that differentiate an american speaker from on english or australian one.

But it has to be close to PG-13. I don't want the curse words. If it would get you in trouble for posting it here on Ironworks, then it's too much. Nothing much stronger than "Shut up" or "jerk".

Can anyone help me with this?
Old 12-15-2005, 09:11 AM   #2
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Hmmm... since this is being read, the biggest difference -- accent -- goes away. I'm not sure I can point you to any specific things that Americans say that non-Americans don't. It's more along the lines of the words they use...elevator instead of lift, hood instead of bonnet, and so on.

In fact, if I were to think of a good source, I'd look for a dictionary that cross-references American to British terms. I had a Chilton's manual for one of my cars that had that in the back of the guide -- wrench for spanner, things like that.

That's probably a good place to start. Next, I'd avoid country-specific phrases. Things like bloke, lad, crisps, bangers, vegemite, and so on. How to figure those out, however... perhaps websites... try this google search for some interesting ideas.

If you want, feel free to pass it by me and I'll give a review (unless you're really writing War and Peace, Second Edition [img]smile.gif[/img] ).

Good luck!
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 09:56 AM   #3
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Well it doesn't have to be technical terms, like you said. I really need to work on lingo and culture. You know what I mean... people don't talk like they're reading their lines from a text.

I'll try that link when I do some more research later.

[ 12-15-2005, 09:57 AM: Message edited by: Luvian ]
Luvian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 10:09 AM   #4
Sir Degrader
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Canadian (AKA us): Bloody (Those bloody telephones aren't working again), Hoser (Don't be a hoser). Is this what your looking for?
Sir Degrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 10:59 AM   #5
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Luvian, coming here is probably the best way -- and you're speaking pretty decent colloquial English, whether you know it or not. If you want to see some of what sets American dialogue off from others, try reading the best American dialogue writers. Start with Hemmingway, of course, there is no other place to begin.
Old 12-15-2005, 11:05 AM   #6
Ivelliis
Gold Dragon

It depends what setting you are writing it in, or more importantly where the people who are speaking are from.

For example, in Middlesbrough it is common for nearly everyone to add the word like into a sentence.

"Do you know what I mean like?"

More likely pronounced "Do ya know what a mean like?"
Old 12-15-2005, 11:06 AM   #7
Sir Degrader
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

If you want the "street talk" (Jane and FInch, scarborough), forget english and start listening to '50 cent and his band of illerate hoodlum peasants.
Sir Degrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 11:36 AM   #8
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

From reading novels, I've developed the habbit of using bloody when I think. So it's said today too? I thought it was a medieval expression or something.

I'll have to remember "like". In quebec's french, teenagers use this a lot too, as well as two other expressions that are not used in english.

It's "interesting" listening to them. It usually goes something like this. "So she was saying stuff and I was like no way. And she was like shut up." I just don't get anything they say.

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Degrader:
If you want the "street talk" (Jane and FInch, scarborough), forget english and start listening to '50 cent and his band of illerate hoodlum peasants.
I don't so much want street talk as those little words and expressions used in casual conversations.

See what I mean? How often is the word "casual" used in everyday discussions? I write, I don't speak. Not many people would ever say aloud. "I'm writing something, and I need to have dialogs, but I have a weakness with english." It would go more along the lines of "Hey! I wanna write something but I suck at it, wanna help?" or something like that.

Most people don't speak properly, so I need to learn how they speak, to represent them realistically.

I'm doing well with the more mature dialogs, I just need the special expressions.

[ 12-15-2005, 11:53 AM: Message edited by: Luvian ]
Old 12-15-2005, 11:55 AM   #9
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Quote:
"So she was saying stuff and I was like no way. And she was like shut up."
You can insert that quote for any youth in America.

"Cool" has become a universal word now, especially since the boomers are running business. I use the word in coversations with 60-yr-olds in the professional context.
Old 12-15-2005, 11:58 AM   #10
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Well you know, I wasn't even sure of what it was I wanted, so of course I couldn't explain it. I've been thinking about it, and I know now.

I can handle casual dialogs. I've seen plenty of it. Maybe I don't know every expressions, but I can do well enough.

My problem is with emotions. How do people talk when they're pissed off or annoyed? What special words do they use to express their emotions, beside the obvious F word? How about when they are sad, happy? How do they talk, react? how do you express your annoyance at someone or something? That's where I have a smaller vocabulary.
Luvian is offline   Reply With Quote