Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 01-21-2005, 12:31 AM   #11
wellard
Dracolisk

There was this time I was staring at a cute little woman, could not take my eyes off her, when the train came to a stop and this guy just walked passed me and bitchslapped my head and got off the train..... [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Joking aside, I get real angry Lady Z when I see people walk past others that are in distress. And I'm always one to get involved if I see some guy or girl getting picked on.

What is the story these days about offering my seat to a lady or old man while on trains and buses? last few times I have done it the people have just stared at me as if I am from another planet and refused to take my seat, causing me to feel a right tit

fossils - natures way of laughing at creationists for over 3 billion years
Old 01-21-2005, 07:47 AM   #12
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

Must be the wierd Ozzie culture. If you give up your seat in Europe the recipient tends to be grateful or at least smile and politely decline.
Love conquers all? Damn, I'd say that area's gray
Old 01-21-2005, 08:56 AM   #13
wellard
Dracolisk

In the UK a few months ago only the real old ladies showed thanks for me offering my seat. Anyone else my age or younger just looked dazed or confused. And yet the British make a big deal of being mannered and cultured. As for tthe rest of europe I shall take your word for it Vaskez

*is this whinge a first sign of old age??? /sigh*

[ 01-21-2005, 08:59 AM: Message edited by: wellard ]

fossils - natures way of laughing at creationists for over 3 billion years
Old 01-21-2005, 10:10 AM   #14
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Well, my only subway experiences short of one quick ride in NYC are from my stays in Moscow (USSR).

They pack buses, trains and subway cars like they were stuffing a can of sardines. The accepted method of getting out of the bus/subway car if you're crushed into the back is to ask if the people next to you are getting off (one stop before your own comes up) so they can say yes (and you won't shove them to get out) or no (where they will then try and maneuver out of your way at the stop). Doesn't always work quite the way you'd like.. and you sometimes do have to shove a little to get out, but I usually worried more about getting on and not being squashed.

I'm not quite five feet tall so when tons of people would shove into the car I'd often end up with my face in some smelly coat, gasping for air. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

One time.. ROTFL.... I was adjusting my bags when this crowd shoved it's way on and I ended up with my right arm trapped between this guy's legs (he was facing away from me, with a buddy in front of him facing me). I tried to get free, but the more I moved, the more he and his friend laughed.. so I just stood stock still til the next stop and then got free and blushed my way to my own stop! [img]graemlins/blush.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh2.gif[/img]
Old 01-21-2005, 01:06 PM   #15
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

Quote:
Originally posted by wellard:
In the UK a few months ago only the real old ladies showed thanks for me offering my seat. Anyone else my age or younger just looked dazed or confused. And yet the British make a big deal of being mannered and cultured. As for tthe rest of europe I shall take your word for it Vaskez

*is this whinge a first sign of old age??? /sigh*
Well ok I was extrapolating my actual knowledge. I was brought up to give my seat up for anyone remotely old or having difficulty standing etc. In Hungary this is pretty much customary although not as much as before when it was actually expected. In the UK I don't see it as much either.
Love conquers all? Damn, I'd say that area's gray
Old 01-21-2005, 04:36 PM   #16
Aelia Jusa
Iron Throne Cult

Tetris Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by Vaskez:
LOL don't mean to pick on you Hark, but I always find it funny when people say "be safe". I mean it's not like people try to not be safe, like unless you remember to warn them, they'll constantly put themselves in danger. [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]
LOL I know what you mean, but I think it's meant as a wish or prayer-type thing, like 'I hope you will be safe', not a command [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Well we don't have a subway system here, being a much more sprawling city of houses rather than apartment buildings. Our public transport system is quite bad, actually, but that's another story. Once I was taking the train somewhere and a guy got on and sat across from me and the girl I was with, and by the time we'd gone another two stops he had his hand down his pants and his penis was poking out the bottom of his shorts. It was a little disconcerting

I just loved the subway systems in Paris and London; Paris especially was fantastic. I didn't really have any interesting experiences on either of those. But in Rome, we were waiting for the metro one day and it was the middle of the day so there was hardly anyone around, and this teenage girl and her little brother came on the platform. My brother and I were sitting on the seats and there was this older woman next to me who I now think was in with them as well. So the girl comes up to me and says she had a headache and could she have my seat. And I'm like, I guess so I stand up. So it's the woman, the girl and my brother on the seats. And I said to my brother he should really stand up for me since I'm a girl and he's supposed to be a gentleman (hah! ) and he reluctantly does. So I sit down and then the little boy stands next to me and starts leaning over me to the girl and finally it was too annoying so I stood up as well. There was a really nice man there as well a bit away and he came up to us and told us they were pickpockets. He was really nice and helped me find somewhere to stand on the metro when it came because it was packed as usual. Obviously they wanted to try to open my brother's backpack (even though he would never have had his wallet in it so they wouldn't have gotten anything), but the pathetic and obvious effort they went to just made us laugh rather than be angry that they tried to steal from us
Old 01-21-2005, 05:01 PM   #17
Arledrian
Egyptian Goddess of the Dead

Quote:
Originally posted by Aelia Jusa:
Once I was taking the train somewhere and a guy got on and sat across from me and the girl I was with, and by the time we'd gone another two stops he had his hand down his pants and his penis was poking out the bottom of his shorts. It was a little disconcerting
Ugh, I hate when that happens. Or like, when you're walking down the street and it sticks out the bottom of your trouser leg, and you have to wrap it round your waist three times just to stop it dragging on the floor. [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/evillaughter2.gif[/img]

Anyway, subway stories, let me see... okay, so once I took the Amtrak from Portland down to NYC, and this sketchy-looking guy got on and sat down next to me. All of a sudden he turned to me and launched into a how-Jesus-saved-him-from-a-life-of-drugs-and-crime tirade. He swore blind that had the Lord not come to his rescue, he'd now be behind bars in some dingy New York jail. He would simply not stop. He quoted from the book of Genesis, and thereafter, Leviticus. The ride lasted a little over four hours, and by the time he was finished, I felt I could recite the bible from memory. I respect all religions and enjoy learning about them, but this was so horribly over the top. Once we reached the city, I escaped relatively unscathed, with a half-deaf ear and comprehensive New England church pamphlet in hand.

[ 01-21-2005, 05:07 PM: Message edited by: Arledrian ]
Old 01-21-2005, 05:30 PM   #18
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Arledrian, you should have offered him a tictac, that would have probably shut him up.