Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 03-14-2001, 04:18 PM   #1
Epona
Zartan

Way back in the mists of time (the Old Board), there were threads on this very question.

But with so many newcomers to our wonderful cafe, I thought I would ask again about people's nicknames, as a way of saying a little bit about ourselves.

Also because a couple of people have asked me if I got mine from Zelda (no, I didn't, I've never played Zelda).

So, please let us know why you chose your nickname, and if it means anything special, relates to mythology, fiction, D&D, whatever, I am interested to find out.

Here is the background to my nickname -
EPONA:
was an ancient, pre-Roman Celtic/Gallic goddess. She was usually depicted with a horse, but sometimes *as* a mare. There have been many depictions of her found in Britain and northern France.

I picked the name because I'm interested in Archaeology, and wanted something linked with Celtic myth and religion. Another possibility was Morrigan, another Celtic goddess, but because there were already Moiraine and Moridin on the board I thought it was too similar and could cause (or cast?) confusion. I have used both Epona and Morrigan for female characters in BGII.

So tell me the background to your nicknames....

------------------

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.
Old 03-14-2001, 04:22 PM   #2
KDogRex
Symbol of Cyric

Jeepers, I wish mine were so complex and cultural... My last name is Kuhns and poeple started calling me kuhndog back in grade school. It stuck, even when I moved to another town, it came back, so I just got used to it. Even after I went into the Army, people started calling me that. Over time, it was abbreviated to KDog and the Rex got added later, not sure quite how, anymore!!
Old 03-14-2001, 04:45 PM   #3
bilqis
Symbol of Cyric

Have you heard of the old testament biblical characters Solomon & Sheba? Well, Sheba was actually the Queen of Sheba, which in ancient times was the land of Yemen on the Saudi Arabian peninsula. The Queen of Sheba's actual name, according to Yemeni history, was Bilqis (pronounced bil-KEES). She was famous for her ability to rule, and her beauty. The name is very common, though spelt differently, in much of the middle east.

Since I lived in Yemen and saw the ruins of some of her cities - Mareb, Dhibiin, Rayyaam, Sirwah, Nihm (to name a few) - and I wanted to have a different nickname than most people were choosing for the internet back in '96... well, that's the long story of how I came up with bilqis.

*Disclaimer* No, I do not in any way think I'm Royalty, Powerful, or beautiful.

------------------

Having abandoned my search for truth, I am now looking for a good Fantasy.

[This message has been edited by bilqis (edited 06-06-2001).]
Old 03-14-2001, 04:51 PM   #4
Rikard

Check the Polls Section

------------------
The Legend Rikard T'Aranaxz

Master Necromancer
Clanmaster and Mental Father of the OHF

Old 03-14-2001, 05:05 PM   #5
Epona
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Rikard:
Check the Polls Section

Phew! I was worried I'd doubled up for a moment!

I posted a reply to your poll Rikard, my answer is different than the one here for various reasons - although some people will have the same answer for both, I realise that!

Please everyone, also check out Rikard's poll (in the correct place, the polls section) as it is related.

------------------

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.
Old 03-14-2001, 05:15 PM   #6
The.Relic
Red Dragon

Hmmm... Heh, and no, I did not chose it because of the movie, this has been my primary board name for many years. I think most people have a general idea of what a relic is. Some are priceless treasures, some are cursed objects which are better left unfound. Since many of my friends here know that I suffer from a chronically poor opinion of myself, I shall not elaborate further
Old 03-14-2001, 05:17 PM   #7
Accord
Ninja Storm Shadow

Yes, my cars!!

------------------
Long live H22A1!!!!!
Old 03-14-2001, 05:29 PM   #8
MORDRICK THE MAD
The Magister

Mordrick because my names Rikki hence the RICK on the end, and yes I know I spelt it wrong and itshould be spelt MORDRIK but I screwed up and can't change it now, or can I Ziroc ol buddy ol pal?
And the mad bit as thats how I am in real life and how my character fights very full steam ahead style. I show you flying fists of Juddah!.

------------------

At an early age, Mordrick the Monk showed Promise!
Old 03-14-2001, 05:36 PM   #9
Moridin
Fzoul Chembryl

Moridin is a character in the Robert Jordan "Wheel of Time" series. His name means death and even the Forsaken (the most powerful 'magic' users of all time) are afraid of him.....and I thought it sounded cool

------------------
Old 03-14-2001, 05:58 PM   #10
WOLFGIR
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Well this isn´t really a poll is it? or maybe well I have to cut and paste then..

Wolf big furry thing that runs around and somtimes seems to have a sounder way towards life and each other than humans have.. Hey they taught us to hunt for larger families, they taught us respect for elders.. Loyalty, well and the saddest character is the lonewolf, cause every breath he takes is a fight for life..

gir- a cool sounding ending, never thought about the resemblance to girl though until it was pointed out to me well give a nordic taste and well trying to take care of something of our culture here so the blasted neo-nazis and other stupd a-holes take all the cool sounding names to their foul business... Sorry for the rant..

Well I like wolves and I have been deeply inspired by them..

------------------

Do electric wolves dream of electric sheep?