Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-2001, 08:55 PM   #1
Albromor
Mephistopheles

I have read somewhere that this is an excellent hammer and is more than a +1 hammer. Is this true? Anybody use it? I have Cleric that uses hammers but I would like to upgrade his ability to hit. And here is a dumb question but I need some clarification on magic weapons. When you finally identify certain weapons they will tell you of their history and when you scroll down to the THACO it will say something like +1 or +2. Does this mean that they are a +1 or +2 weapon??? What confuses me is that I picked up a Battle Axe +2 last night and it said right in itsd title +2. But other magical weapons don't have their pluses designated in their title. Am I clear here or am I as confusing as I seem to be?! Thanks.
Albromor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2001, 09:25 PM   #2
Khanar
Manshoon

Conlan's hammer has the special ability of being able to hit anything that requires a magical weapon to successfully strike. I still lug it around for when it might possibly be useful to me.

Not sure about your question about the THAC0. Sorry. I'm not too keep on what THAC0 is all about anyways myself. hehe
Khanar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2001, 09:48 PM   #3
Ranthenae
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I got Conlan's Hammer from the blacksmith (Conlan) in Kuldahar, what I did was I have a thief with 100% lockpicking ability and picked the lock. Supposedly you receive it after you save his son in Dragon's Eye, but I was having problems getting that quest to work so I do it the other way (with my thief) and it works pretty good. I'm sorry I can't answer your question about THAC0 either I've read the instruction manual for the game regarding THAC0 and it's like reading stereo instructions but what can I say, I'm a true blonde. Anyway, good luck in your game and I hope some of these ideas help you in your quest.
Ranthenae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2001, 09:33 AM   #4
Enzo
Elite Waterdeep Guard

You are correct on the +2 or whatever on the THACO. Also, on the damage line, look at what it says there. For example, if it is a long sword that says 1D8+2, then it is a +2 sword. Sometimes, the damage bonus and the THACO bonus are different, I have a dagger that is +1 Damage, +5 THACO. It is treated as a magical weapon (can hit targets that can only be damaged by magical weapons) and is considered a "unique" item.

As far as THACO, it is a Pencil and Paper game thing. It stands for "To Hit Armor Class 0". If you look at the character sheet, you should see a line for THACO with a number after it, and maybe a number in parenthesis. That number (the first one) is the base number the character needs to hit a target with an armor class of zero (on a 20 sided die). The number in parenthesis is the adjusted number which takes into account all manner of magical items and weapon specialization (which means it will change as you change weapons).

So here is how it works:

Say I have a fighter with a THACO of 16. With a normal sword, I would have to roll a 16 or HIGHER on a 20 sided die to hit a target with an armor class of Zero. With a +2 sword, I would need a 14 or HIGHER. This works on a sliding scale, so a THACO of 16 is the same as a THAC1 of 15, or a THAC5 of 11. (the higher the armor class, the lower number needed to hit)

Oh, and a 20 always hits, and a 0 always misses, regardless of what the THAC0 calculation works out to.

Hope this all helps!!
Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2001, 11:25 AM   #5
Albromor
Mephistopheles

Thanks, Enzo. What was confusing me, again, was the fact that some weapons were clearly marked with their magical pluses while others weren't clear at all. I knew they were magical but as to their pluses that was difficult to find.
Albromor is offline   Reply With Quote