Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum

Old 01-02-2001, 04:02 PM   #1
ArmageddonX
Welcomed New User

I personally have a somewhat rosied colored glasses on the skill and power of wizards but from what I hear, that may be incorrect. When I use my wizards to take down large groups of enemies, I'm usually very successful. But everyone says that warriors are the foundation of a party, through most dungeons the warriors are doing it all and the wizards are pretty helpless.

I've also heard of the wizard's dagger being totally awesome so it confuses me a little!

Anywho, could people please give me examples of when they badly needed more wizards or badly needed more warriors or maybe just your opinion on which are more important, wizards or warriors...
ArmageddonX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2001, 04:20 PM   #2
freudianslip
Welcomed New User

It depends on your style of play. Some people prefer to go sword-heavy, others favorite the magic approach. Personally, I use magic heavily; my warrior hardly gets a chance to land a blow, usually. 3 oomphaz warlocks=fast mana regen!
freudianslip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2001, 04:27 PM   #3
ArmageddonX
Welcomed New User

Exactly my theory! I'm glad SOMEONE agrees with me, though I'd still appreciate some reasons why warriors are better.
ArmageddonX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2001, 05:06 PM   #4
Gauleiter

There is no substantial reason why they're *better*, because they're not, but they are /necessary/. Spells aren't the answer to everything.

The Naga Xydusa, for instance, in the Serpent Temple, is affected by almost no spells; far and away the best solution for her is to cast a bunch of defensive spells (here's where the casters come in) and rush her, hacking her to pieces.

Likewise the big guy, Cet: only the Mavin & the Staff of Death work on him, so *someone* has to be strong in sword and staff. Incidentally, the only person who was strong in staff was my Oomphaz Warlock (ex-Monk/Priest), so those casters came in useful once again -- as fighters

Incidentally, the Wizard's Dagger is awesome, I found two of them -- one for my Pixie Warlock & one for my Assassin. In other words, the Wizard's Dagger isn't limited to Wizards (curious, huh?)
Old 01-02-2001, 06:55 PM   #5
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

All of my characters are capable of some pretty good offensive spell casting but I typically run my first two characters as weapons only and the rest as spell casters. Part of the reason for this is that I always have the map on (which would explain one character as a weapon attack) and the default seems to be to shift from map to weapon. Any way to set it up so a spell is the default? I see this strategy as just old habit. I've played games where you really did need to have some weapons flashing to get anywhere. You can easily do this game all in magic.

Wizard's dagger is verrrrrry nice!

Wyv
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote