Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-10-2007, 01:33 PM   #1
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Mad Define "intrusive software":

I'll define it this way:

Software that continues to meddle in your computer's affairs, even after the software it was installed with is removed.

I tried to use my Nero software to burn a few of my CD's up for a garage sale at my cousin's house, and after I selected the tracks I wanted to burn, it sent me a splash error message that I couldn't burn those tracks, as my DRM had been exceeded/expired? Ok, what? I wrote, arranged and produced those CD's in my kitchen. I own the copyrights on all of it. What's the deal there?

I attribute this to SecuROM that installed with NWN 2. I burned 40 CD's on my old rig with the same Nero software, that I legally own. I had everything installed on that rig, minus NWN 2, that I do on this one. In fact, I had a lot more games installed on the old rig. The only thing additional is NWN 2. Has anyone else come across this problem that has NWN 2 installed?
robertthebard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 02:26 PM   #2
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Default Re: Define "intrusive software":

Quote:
It has become a real pain for me, and is now prohibiting me from recording music CD's that I own the rights to. I use Nero to burn my music CD's, music that I produced myself, not artists that I download through Urge. Who do I have to contact to get the rights to my original material back, now that your software has locked me out of burning my own music to CD?

I paid for a PC game, not to be locked out of being able to generate my own income. How long will I have to wait to be able to start making more copies so that I can sell them?
A copy of the email I just sent to support@securom.com This situation is beyond pathetic.
Old 09-11-2007, 07:35 PM   #3
Kyrvias
Lord Ao

Yep. Securcom seems to be the bane of games these days.

Moreso, it has no user involvement in the installation of this program, and no information saying "This is being installed". Add to that hte fact that it doesn't leave your computer after the game in question has been installed... bad combo. Very, very, bad combo.

Edit: Heh. Whoopsie.

Last edited by Kyrvias; 09-23-2007 at 04:35 PM.
Kyrvias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 08:10 PM   #4
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Yeah, and the only way to get it off now is to either jump through about 50 hoops, and download a program that will find and remove it's hidden registry keys, or reinstall my OS. All for a program that I didn't know I was installing, at the time. I'm waiting to hear back from my attorney about what I can do about it. Invading my privacy through the game is one thing, but inhibiting my work is something else.
Old 09-11-2007, 08:59 PM   #5
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

I use Nero to burn cd's and have NWN2 on my pc. Could there be something else causing the problem, RTB?
Old 09-11-2007, 09:03 PM   #6
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Kyrvias, we do not support software piracy on Ironworks . Please refrain from discussing any such acts on your part or encouraging software piracy.
Old 09-11-2007, 09:25 PM   #7
Micah Foehammer
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertthebard View Post
Yeah, and the only way to get it off now is to either jump through about 50 hoops, and download a program that will find and remove it's hidden registry keys, or reinstall my OS. All for a program that I didn't know I was installing, at the time. I'm waiting to hear back from my attorney about what I can do about it. Invading my privacy through the game is one thing, but inhibiting my work is something else.

If it worked on your old system, why not simply use the old system to burn the cd's?

Excuse me, but isn't circumventing a copy protection program a violation of the EULA for the software?

http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3793&dateline=1187636  783
Micah Foehammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 09:46 PM   #8
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

The old system is gone. It's part of why I got the new fancy rig, so using it is out of the question. Unfortunately.

Not allowing a working back up copy is a violation of the EULA as well. The first section of the EULA explains that you are allowed to make an archive copy, in case something happens to the original medium.

http://www.ironworksforum.com/ubb/cg...c;f=7;t=003918

Read this for an amazing reference.
Old 09-19-2007, 12:01 AM   #9
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

http://www.robertbard67206.com/images/DRM_expired.bmp
http://www.robertbard67206.com/image...ldbeableto.bmp

It has been brought to my attention via PM that some people find these posts complaining about what SecuROM is doing on my computer offensive. For that, I have to say that I'm sorry. Not for posting them, but for people believing that a registered member, with legitimate problems, shouldn't be allowed to complain.

To the member I'm hearing from, I don't appreciate the attempts at censorship you are laying down. None of my posts have violated the TOS of Ironworks Forums. If they had, I'm quite sure I would have heard from a moderator by now. If something in a post offends you, please feel free to report it to a moderator. I'm sure they'll take appropriate action. I haven't seen them fail at it for over 6 years now. Perhaps you'll find that, in doing that, it's really not my problem, but your own.

To the mods, and the general public on the board, no, I will not disclose the member's identity. In my understanding of the TOS, so long as I'm not attacking other members, or posting Warez sites, I'm within the bounds of what is allowed here. I don't recall ever being called down here by a moderator either.

In so far as I'm concerned, if my legitimate problems with Atari bug you, then don't read my posts, or, comment publicly about them, so that other members may either agree or disagree with you on the topic, instead of attempting to silence me through PM's.

The links above are a very real problem I'm having with SecuROM, when it should really be inactive on my machine, since NWN 2 is uninstalled. This is intrusive. If this fact makes you feel guilty, or makes you mad, I have no control over that. I'm not in a position to go buy other burning software, and, contrary to opinions to the contrary, Atari should have no say in what other software is installed or used on my computer.

If my being aggravated about that bothers you, then I invite you to comment here, or to quit reading my posts. If it bothers you that bad, it may be bad for your blood pressure. Far be it from me to have my legitimate problems cause any one any strife.
Old 09-19-2007, 01:26 AM   #10
wellard
Dracolisk

Thumbs Up Re: Define "intrusive software":

Well put Rob

Of course these companies have a right to defend themselves but this sort of crap really is playing into the hands of pirates by annoying the hell out of innocent people. I have not yet bought NWN2 (long story) but I would like too know of any rubbish that implants itself onto my computer BEFORE I choose to buy it.

BTW did SONY get fined very heavily over this sort of issue not so long ago?

fossils - natures way of laughing at creationists for over 3 billion years
wellard is offline   Reply With Quote