Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-03-2005, 07:44 PM   #1
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

Oh great this is just what us gamers need [img]graemlins/1pissed.gif[/img]

Quote:
A 14-year-old schoolboy has been brutally killed in Latvia's north-eastern town of Valmiera by friends who say they were inspired by a video game, a spokeswoman for the police in Riga said Tuesday.

The five boys, aged 13 to 16, were arrested Sunday by the police of this town of 43,000 inhabitants 120 kilometres (74 miles) north of the capital in connection with the murder which occurred on Saturday, the spokeswoman said.

They explained that "they used techniques borrowed from the video game 'Mortal Combat' in dealing with their victim", the spokeswoman, Kristine Mezaraupa said.

The boys described how they beat up their friend, Marcis, born in 1991, and threw his body in the nearby Gauja river, according to the head of Valmiera police department Juris Andersons.

"The attackers tried to imitate some fighting techniques used in video games," said the head of the investigation division of Valmiera police department Salvis Stamers. "They employed the use of the legs in a scissor fashion to try to break the opponent's neck," he said.

The detained could not say whether the victim was dead when he was thrown in the river. Rescuers had not yet found the body.

"The evidence gained so far makes us certain that the boy could not survive in the ice cold water," added Andersons.

Investigators inspected the territory along the banks of the river, which is partly frozen, where the murder took place, and found empty bottles of alcoholic drinks and samples of blood.

Three teenagers aged between 14 and 16, were still in police detention, but two boys aged 13 had been freed Monday, as legal responsibility for a criminal offence under the Latvian law comes into force only from age 14.

"It is difficult for me to explain the motivation of this brutal crime," said Rudite Markus, the headmaster of Valmiera high school where Marcis was a pupil.

"You can blame the video games for some influence, and you cannot fail to notice the onslaught of violence on TV screens."

"Videogames could be a catalyst for violent behaviour, alerted by alcohol, but one cannot reduce the real motives of the teen murderers to the influence of video games," said psychologist Zaiga Blaua.

A year ago a pupil, addicted to videogames, killed a video saloon attendant in downtown Riga to get a few lats (dollars) to continue the game, which ended in tragedy.

If proved guilty, the detained boys could get a life sentence or imprisonment up to 20 years.
Hivetyrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 08:03 PM   #2
Q'alooaith
Emerald Dragon

I find it more distressing that two of these potentail killers had to be set free..

I mean, they could quite literaly be getting away with murder because they are young.
Old 03-03-2005, 08:03 PM   #3
SomeGuy
Unicorn

When are people gonna stop blaming something else and realize that maybe there kid has a severe problem and needs help? Can they just not cope with the fact their kid may be a little loco? I feel sorry for the victim though, I mean, MK moves, ow.
\"I firmly believe that any man\'s finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is the moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious.\"<br />-Vince Lombardi
SomeGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 08:13 PM   #4
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by SomeGuy:
I feel sorry for the victim though, I mean, MK moves, ow.
I know what you mean [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Hmm, dont know if I should feel bad...
I laughed at this:
Quote:
"They employed the use of the legs in a scissor fashion to try to break the opponent's neck,"
I loved that move [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Dont get me wrong, I still think this was bad.
Hivetyrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 08:51 PM   #5
armageddon272
Symbol of Cyric

Did they summon fire over their fists and repeatedly punch him in the same one or two body parts at a speed that can not possile be reached by the human body? I'd think that would be an interesting way to go. But yeah, this is messed up. A couple of young killers thinking they can do anything they an do with a controller. Spooky.
armageddon272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 09:00 PM   #6
Blind_Prophet
Symbol of Cyric

Why to a friend though wonder if he volunteered either way YAY FOR EVOLUTION
Old 03-03-2005, 09:37 PM   #7
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

Quote:
When are people gonna stop blaming something else and realize that maybe there kid has a severe problem and needs help? Can they just not cope with the fact their kid may be a little loco? I feel sorry for the victim though, I mean, MK moves, ow.
A little kid's brain is like a computer program waiting to be written. It's up to the parents to teach the kid right from a young age and control what the kid does/sees until they are old enough to decide for themselves. Sounds like the parents stuffed up BIG TIME in the case of these kids. I'd blame the parents, such young minds are too impressionable so whatever influences they had are to blame.
Love conquers all? Damn, I'd say that area's gray
Vaskez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 12:35 AM   #8
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
I agree. They had a problem to begin with. They would simply have killed the guy in another way if they had never played video games.

[ 03-04-2005, 12:37 AM: Message edited by: Luvian ]
Old 03-04-2005, 02:43 AM   #9
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

If this type of violence continue. I can imagine some people will start calling for video games to be banned.
Kakero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 03:48 AM   #10
Xen
Symbol of Moradin

So now it's game's fault if parents aren't able to teach their children what should they do and what they shouldn't do.
Xen is offline   Reply With Quote