Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 06-10-2004, 02:09 PM   #1
quietman1920

While I'm probably crazy to be shopping for Christmas in June, I saw something that just peaked my interest. First off, let me please predict that this will be a runaway hit:

{its a Movie trailer. Please watch it first.}

http://www.apple.com/trailers/wb/the_polar_express/

Secondly, this is a new offering this year that won't be released until August:

http://www.lionel.com/Products/Catal...D=3&PageID=115

I've already found a shop in my area accepting orders and I plan to visit them Saturday.
Old 06-10-2004, 02:18 PM   #2
Mack_Attack
Osiris - Egyptian God of the Underworld

Please no christmas stuff you have to wait until halloween is over.

Side note: That train looks cool. My daughter could have fun with that.
Old 06-10-2004, 02:20 PM   #3
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

I saw Harry Potter this week, and The Polar Express was featured in a film trailer. Looks interesting, but I'm not sure it will be a hit. It appears that the theme is belief in spite of nonbelievers, which is probably a more adult-oriented theme. I mean, do I want to take my (at that point) 5 and 7 year old to see a movie that revolves around those who don't believe? Some questions aren't ready to be asked yet... or answered by me

That said, it does look like it's going to be an interesting movie...
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Old 06-10-2004, 06:52 PM   #4
quietman1920

Bungleau, I was very worried when I read your post. I got more worried when I then googled the plot description of the movie. I had almost given up hope of getting my boys the train set when I googled a plt summary of the book from Barnes & Noble.

Bungleau, I have to tell you, it wasn't the plot summary that sold me. It was the testamonials: (pasted from Barnes&Noble Website)
A reviewer, A reviewer, June 9, 2004,
magical experience
I teach first grade and enjoy reading this book to my class each year. A couple of years ago, we decided to have a little fun with the story. The kids were told to wear their p.j.s to school(bring a change of clothes), and we took our chairs out into the hallway and lined them up like we were sitting on a train. We then listened to the story over our intercom, and when it was over, 'Santa' came through the front door of our school and delivered silver bells to each child. We also had hot chocolate and other treats. What fun the children had........teachers too!!!

Ashley, A reviewer, June 9, 2004,
This story has stayed with me.
I first heard this story from my second grade teacher. She gave us all bells and then read the story. Twelve years later, it is still one of my favorite stories. I will cherish this book and its memories forever.

Lito Keaton, A Big Book and Film enthusiast, February 24, 2004,
Outstanding Book!!! Can't wait for the movie!!!
This was a great children's book that was quite an engaging, and captivating story!I've heard that this book, will follow Mr. Van Allensburg's other great book 'Jumanji'when it becomes a big-screen motion picture in november starring academy-award winner Tom Hanks in his third film for director Robert Zemeckis(i.e.'Forrest Gump',and 'Cast Away').I can't wait to see that!!!

Also recommended: Jumanji, Where the Wild Things Are

Megan, an elementary school teacher, January 5, 2004,
One of the best Christmas stories there is.
I just read this book to my third grade class, and it was one of the most magical moments I've ever seen. The pictures, the story, everything moves the reader to feel the spirit of the holidays. Everyone should own a copy of this book!

Also recommended: The Christmas Oranges, the Light of Christmas

A reviewer, an avid reader, December 15, 2003,
Great Christmas Read
This is one of those all-time classics to read for Christmas. It brings the Christmas spirit right to you, and it's great that it's coming out as a movie next year.

A reviewer, a mother of two, September 3, 2003,
Magical!
My children received this book for Christmas 2 years ago and it quickly became one of our favorites! We don't just read it at Christmas, they choose it about once a week for their bedtime story! The message is timeless!

A reviewer (ald231@hotmail.com), A reviewer, December 27, 2002,
The Book I Love to Give
A wonderful book that I give to someone every year. At the beginning of December each year I buy at least two copies and look for someone among my patients to gift the book to... I know they will love the story as much as I do. This year I gave a copy to my receptionist who has two young girls... What a great gift.

Michael Sykes (masykes@att.net), A reviewer, December 23, 2002,
5 stars aren't enough
I am in my fifties and read this book every year, and not allways at Christmas. I gave a copy to my mother several years ago, along with a sleigh bell ornament, and thanked her for teaching me to hear the bells. Mom is 84, and the sleigh bell is one of the few Christmas decorations she still puts out every year. Children can enjoy the book, of course, but it's true message is for adults. Besides, even if you don't like the story, this book is worth having just for the illustrations!

Also recommended: Abiner Smoothie, The Last Elegant Bear any book illustrated by Marilee Heyer

Roxsan (lilladi4u@yahoo.com), A reviewer, December 6, 2002,
Something to remember!
I remember in kindergarden hearing my teacher read this book to me for the first time and loving it and then checking it out for my mother to read to me every night i am 23 years old and more than any other book i have read and loved this is something i will remember for ever. now as a mother to be i am buying this wonderful book to share with my child. i encourage everyone to read this book to there childeren. 5 stars+ the movie helps bring out what the book says but even without the movie you and your childeren will have no problem imaging it is all real.

I have to say that I was so blown away by these reviews that I think that I now have to go out and buy the book. And Yes, read it to my boys at bedtime. Even if they never see the movie. (...but I'd be a dirty rotten Scrooge to cheat them out of the train set)
Old 06-10-2004, 07:23 PM   #5
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Guess I'll have to get a copy of the book myself, then [img]smile.gif[/img] From what I saw of the movie trailer, that's the impression I came away with. If the book is much different, and if the movie follows it, I'll be extremely happy

OF course, I didn't know I'd be expressing an opinion based on the trailer while I was watching it... or I would have paid more attention [img]smile.gif[/img]
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Old 06-10-2004, 07:39 PM   #6
Attalus
Symbol of Bane

Bungleau, I have read that book to my sons more Christmases than I care to remember. It's a great read.