Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 10-12-2001, 09:52 PM   #1
Kaleban
Manshoon

Just a quick question.

I've read several posts up to about page 8 here so far, and one thing I've noticed, EVERYONE'S A POWER GAMER!

Does anyone play the classes/kits for their role-play potential? You know, sort of imagine yourself being there? Anyone ever think up a backstory for their characters or anything?

I am just saddened due to the fact that 90% of the characters over at PlanetBaldur'sGate in the gallery have either 6 18s, or have 6 25s, or a combination between the two. Its probably less than that, but really, this game is so easy with a 6-player party, that you would think its not necessary to munchkinize...

(I understand optimization, but if the only battles that end up being tough are the big baddies, whereas all else is a walk in the park, seems to me like some of the fun would be taken out of the game...)
Old 10-12-2001, 10:42 PM   #2
Fuzzy Animal
Zhentarim Guard

I am currently playing a druid
and I am really having a lot of
fun. I don't think a druid would
be considered a power character.
They can only get up to level 14
in SoA.
Old 10-12-2001, 11:39 PM   #3
Baron Nocturna
Dungeon Master

Thats why I play a bard. I love the idea of a charming rogue type who can sort of do it all, but not all that great. For example, my character has a 14 strength. Hardly recommended by anybody for strength score, yet he has high charisma, intelligence and dex but low con and wis (9 on con and 11 on wis). My character's charisma is 18, which I know affects nothing, but I like the idea of having a very likable character. Now having said all that, my character has sort of become the ultimate wrecking crew in ToB so I think they sort of become power character's as the game progresses no matter what. Ah well...

Baron Nocturna

------------------
Anyone care to see my Rod of Lordly Might?
Old 10-13-2001, 12:14 AM   #4
dulouz
Manshoon

bah. who needs high stats... without modifiers from weapons, i'm a cleric with
strength 13
dexterity 11
const 15
intel 13
wisdom 18
charisma 14

sure, i've got 21 charisma with item modifiers, and 25 strength with Crom Faeyr.

I only wish i could keep raising my charisma.
Old 10-13-2001, 03:30 AM   #5
Morgan_Corbesant
Symbol of Cyric

this is my character, i actually rolled him up on pen and paper, so he is kinda personal too me.

Morgan Corbesant
Elven Fighter/Mage (BladeSinger)
10th level fighter/11th level mage

Str-15
Dex-19
Con-15
Int-18
Wis-14
Chr-14

not as powerfull as SOME d&d characters (Elminster, Drizzt, Wulfgar, Bruenor, Artemis Entreri, Etc.), but not too weak either, ie.( Regis, Ghost, Etc.)
i will say that on pen and paper, he is a BADASS!!! he has elven chain+2, boots of elvenkind, and a longsword+4 defender. i started out with that blade, at first level, so it was extremely fun. it was a gift from the masters at the BladeSinger Accademy. anywho, im rambling and bragging again, damnit. in short, YES, i do play to roleplay. its just more fun that way, IMHO!

------------------
Morgan Corbesant, Elven BladeSinger, Captain of the army of the Seldarine
Old 10-13-2001, 03:37 AM   #6
Byronas

If somebody wants to play SOA with no cheating when he create his character he must not change his ability scores but leave them as they are!
The game of course becomes more difficult but you know you started without "cheating".

------------------

Where there are monsters and barbarians there will be Byronas fighting against them.

Old 10-13-2001, 03:52 AM   #7
Blackwolf
Dungeon Master

Well, sort of.

I have had difficulty deciding on which character to play and started over numerous times with different ones. Finally realized that the obvious solution would be to create the whole party myself and ignore the NPC`s (Minsc, Jaheira, etc). That way I can select a combination of characters that interest me.

I do miss out on some "RPG experiences" (like the romances), but it`s a relief to not have to listen to Aerie`s endless whining about her wings.

My current characters haven`t had their stats modified and I try to think about the choices they would logically make if they were real. For eample, my female barbarian was the one who finally slew the shadow dragon, so it makes sense that she would get (and want to wear) the armour created from his scales. Considering the protagonist and his (or her) background, I think he would want to hold on to Sarevok`s sword that he finds in the starter dungeon, but he (and all the other characters) must also be practical.

They are in a very dangerous situation and must do what it takes to survive and succeed, so I don`t shy away from optimizing them, seeking out magical items, etc.
Old 10-13-2001, 03:57 AM   #8
mitsos

I think that to say that you have actually "finished" a game. you must mean it. Fir example in BG2, you my\ust play with every different class, find all quests, items, strongholds, have evil, good and neutral parties, everything. Otherwise, you haven't "finished" it.

Old 10-14-2001, 09:59 AM   #9
StarVid
Elminster

I never go for all 18's, usually though only in my primary stats. I'm currently working on a human cleric in BG1 that I'm going to dual to a mage at level 11 in BG2. My stats are:

Str:9
Dex:18
Con:9
Int:18
Wis:18
Cha:12

Which adds up to like 84 points, which is actually average for a roll.
Old 10-14-2001, 10:08 AM   #10
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

my fighter would be:

str: 18/50
dex: 13
cons: 17
int: 10
wis:10
chrs:12

fighter 2:
str: 15
dex:18