Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Entertainment (Movies, TV Shows and Books/Comics)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-23-2007, 07:55 AM   #1
NewbietoRPGs
Drow Warrior

This thread is for anyone who finished the book already and feels like chatting about it.
There will be spoilers in here, so if you don't want to know about plot points etc. please do not read any farther....

That said, GREAT book! I cannot believe she managed to tie everything together in one final book. I will probably be rereading it because I think I may have cruised through it a bit fast.

I will say that I was a bit disappointed that pretty much all of the characters that were questionable turned out to be reasonably good. Kreacher even came around for pete's sake. Not that I'm complaining really but, she could have at least made the Malfoys completely bad.

[ 07-23-2007, 07:57 AM: Message edited by: NewbietoRPGs ]
NewbietoRPGs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 04:40 PM   #2
Aelia Jusa
Iron Throne Cult

Tetris Champion
I enjoyed it too. I'm actually glad that some characters were redeemed or were discovered to have been good in the case of Snape. Kreacher was hateful because everyone treated him like crap, when people are nice, so is he. Kind of makes sense huh. I think it continues the complexity that she's always had in terms of few people are completely good or evil, there's no pat answers to things, etc. For instance, I really liked the fact that Voldemort was ultimately defeated by kind of an oversight or loophole type thing, not because Harry is the most powerful wizard there ever was, or that Voldemort was a cliched bumbling crook. And the Malfoys weren't really good actually, it wasn't the typical, oh yeah, they have hearts of gold too, like so often is the case, it was more just when the crunch came, all they cared about was their son and weren't willing to sacrifice him.

There were a couple of things I was confused about, like one second Neville is on fire and immobile, and the next he's just not and kills the snake? What happened there? Although I have to say I liked the fact that the final castle scenes were kind of chaotic and a bit rushed almost - which it would have been for the characters too.

I liked that the dead characters like Dumbledore and Sirius stayed dead and there was no magical reprieve from them. I have to say I was expecting a bit more of a bloodbath - at least one of Ron or Hermione or something. And when I first finished the last chapter (which didn't end in scar, despite all reports to that effect ), I thought it was all a bit neat with the next generation scampering about. But at the same time I was glad in my girly little heart that Harry didn't die - she managed to resolve everything in a way that wasn't cheap and yet wasn't the deus ex machina type thing (like Frodo and Sam being rescued off Mt Doom) that is never satisfying.
Old 07-24-2007, 05:11 AM   #3
Ivelliis
Gold Dragon

Aelia, I am sure when Neville kills Nagani it says "he broke the body-bind curse", or something to that effect.

I agree with your point about how the characters weren't evil or good. Dumbledore especially. I could always see Snape actually being good, and when Dumbledore said to Snape "Please, Severus" just before he died in book 6, he was pleading him to kill him, not to have mercy.
Old 07-24-2007, 08:30 AM   #4
NewbietoRPGs
Drow Warrior

If I remember right, Harry told Voldemort that his curses didn't have the binding effect they should because he wasn't the rightful owner of the wand or something.

Two questions I did have about the ending though were: Did Harry ever go back and graduate from Hogwarts? What is he doing now? Auror?
NewbietoRPGs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 09:03 AM   #5
Black Baron
Red Wizard of Thay

Some scenes were downright miserable.
For example-how Neville managed to kill the snake? He charged at the snake and no one (!!!) did anything about it, not even the snake. It could have at least duck or something, let alone simply kill him.

I did not exactly understood why Malfoy's mother let Harry live, with her question-is Malfoy alive? What did she care about Harry? For all she knew Voldemort was still invincible, and Harry's death was optimal for her. At the very least she could have slit his throat to make sure that he is dead. But nooo, she does some unexplainable idiocy to the merriment of the author, instead of slitting his throat and searching for her precious son. No one was threatening Draco, so her behavior is simply inconsistent.

Escaping by the brooms...now this is really a masterpiece. Vernon was escaping by car, what was the problem of calling taxi, enchant the driver and be off?

One more thing. Half of the wizards were muggle born. Did not they hear about guns??? You can't duck a bullet (unlike curses). Instead of trading curses from five meter distance, put a slug in your opponents head and be over with it. Wizard's lack of basic muggle knowledge bordered in these seven books on idiocy. Muggle born (like Hermione) did not impress me with deep insights either.

I am disappointed with these books.

Kids attention, I have brought you something...

Don't pull that ring private!!
Black Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 11:57 PM   #6
Thoran
Galvatron

So my take on your points...

Neville killed the snake because Voldimort approached him in order to place the hat on his head... and since his burning spell didn't work (since Harry had sacrificed himself to protect them) Neville was able to take a swipe at the snake.

I think she was trying to show that the Malfoys had been beaten on by Voldimort enough that all they cared for at the end was each other. Not saying it's the strongest plot point but there it is... Draco didn't leave the school with the rest of his house so she was worried he might be dead.

Broom's are faster than a taxi, they couldn't disapperate because Harry couldn't use magic yet and they didn't want to wait until he turned 17 to leave. I think the whole decoy idea wasn't too bad, it's a technique that's used a lot when you're trying to protect a single person.

As far as guns and technology are concerned... she definitely didn't address why the magical world shunned advanced technologies. I don't see it as a major flaw in the series however because she really didn't involve muggles and muggle technology except at the periphery of the story. If she'd gone farther with the muggle/pureblood ware she may have had to address that issue (I'm assuming she'd dream up some sort of protection for magical folks from mundane weapons) but she didn't.

Overall I was impressed with the author, she managed to create a work that appeals to both children and adults, has a decent plot, charaters and a great setting... and manages to hold coherence through a LOT of books.

The coherence thing is a big one for me... with writers like Jordan who start out strong but after 3 or 4 books start to fall apart, I've started putting more emphasis on authors being able to hold it together and actaully FINISH a long series like this.
Thoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 02:47 PM   #7
Black Baron
Red Wizard of Thay

Brooms are faster and a lot unsafer than a taxi. Besides i have one more major flaw:

In the second book the ministry decided that harry threw the party cake even though dobby had done it.
In the 7 book they are worrying with harry spell casting, when it is clear that the ministry can check the house for magic usage, regardless (dobby). They all cast spells there, and then they are surprised by the ambush.
Again it is inconsistent.

Kids attention, I have brought you something...

Don't pull that ring private!!
Black Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 04:28 PM   #8
Aelia Jusa
Iron Throne Cult

Tetris Champion
Did they use spells in Harry's house? I thought they made a point to say that they couldn't. They used the polyjuice potion but I think that was it.
Old 08-21-2007, 05:41 PM   #9
Link
Jack Burton

Default Re: Harry Potter 7 WITH SPOILERS!!

I've only now understood a certain passage in the books. In Snape's memories, when he and Dumbledore argue over why Harry gets to know certain things and he doesn't, it reads:

'But this is touching, Severus,' said Dumbledore seriously. 'Have you grown to care for the boy, after all?'
'For him?' shouted Snape. 'Expecto patronum'
From the tip of his wand burst the silver doe: she landed on the office floor, bounded across the office and soared out of the window. Dumbledore watched her fly away, and as her silvery glow faded he turned back to Snape, and his eyes were full of tears.
'After all this time?'
'Always,' said Snape.

I never really understood what that was about, until I realised that it was the undying love that Snape had for Lily, that both Dumbledore implied and Snape acknowledged. I may be an idiot for not understanding, but I'm glad I got that sorted out.

Goal: Beijing 2008
Link is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 11:08 AM   #10
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Default Re: Harry Potter 7 WITH SPOILERS!!

I hadn't noticed that passage. I'll reread it now... thanks, Link
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote