Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-04-2007, 01:22 AM   #1
Arnabas
Baaz Draconian

I'd like to get some info from you guys, since I don't really know anyone in real life who would be able to answer this... I find many people here are pretty tech-savvy, so I thought I'd ask.

I am debating going back to school and am looking at a Network Administrator course being offered by my old college. I just want to make sure it's going to teach me what I *really* need to know. I got screwed once in another course (electronics) where I learned stuff, obviously, but not what was really needed for the types of jobs I was looking toward.

Anyhow, here's a (partial) list of topics:

*Intro to Network Administration
*Operating Systems I - DOS
*Network Admin- Cisco I
*Op systems- Windows
*Network Installation and Admin: Netware
*Routing Protocols- Cisco II
*Network Op system: Unix
*Groupware systems
*Network Installation and Admin: Windows
*Network segmentation - Cisco III
*Wans - Cisco IV
*Linus Server
*Network security

Does this seem adequate for today's workforce? Are they wasting time on useless stuff? Also, honestly, is this a worthwhile career to pursue? As I mentioned, I got burned once before with the electronics course, so I want to make sure there is a good chance of gainful employment upon completion of this course.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old 03-04-2007, 02:15 AM   #2
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

Most of those things are going to look very good in a network administrators resume.
Cisco qualifications look great.

However, with the way things are going (here at least) jobs like that are easily out-sourced and made redundant
Hivetyrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 06:58 AM   #3
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

its a good intro but not a course that will make you proficient IMO

Catch me if you can..
Harkoliar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 06:59 AM   #4
Bozos of Bones
Apophis

I have the CCNA certifications under my belt, and I am most pleased with them. You most definitely should go and take these.
Old 03-04-2007, 09:38 AM   #5
Arnabas
Baaz Draconian

Thanks.

I am really "iffy" on this. I can't afford to invest time and money into something that won't provide me with decent opportunities for employment. I don't need to get rich, but I do need to support my family...

It is intended as a basic course for entry-level positions. I mainly wanted to be sure that it would provide me with what I really need and not what the school *thinks* is needed.

They say that you can get up to 5 certifications by the end of the course, but most students only go for 2-3. I've been told that there's enough demand for people right now that some students are being hired before the end of the course.

Anyhow, thanks for the info. I still have some thinking to do.
Old 03-04-2007, 10:24 AM   #6
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

Based upon class titles only, this appears to be an Information Technology Technician course description. Which "here" is a core position within a corporate IT department. It appears to be missing all of the administrator, management, and business courses that would warrant the "Administrator" title. Probably just a play on verbiage, but "here" IT techs do all the "keep it up and running" work. The Administrator assigns the work load/schedule, attends corporate meetings, strategize’, and places in motion the corporate visions. Additionally, is a member of the corporate management /executive team, pay and benefits are well enhanced.
In my last IT position (2+years ago) there was one administrator at the headquarters, and nine techs located at the satellites. We did all the "leg" work, he reaped the benefits. MCSE and CCNA are both perishable and high maintenance skills. The CCDA adds "Design" to your certification process, excellent if you plan to venture into the new sales/design department. Or as Hive alluded to, start your own IT “outsourcing” business.
Either way, this will get you into the IT field.

[ 03-04-2007, 07:32 PM: Message edited by: Felix The Assassin ]

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy
35th President of The United States

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

Jesus died for our sins, and American Soldiers died for our freedom.

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Felix The Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote