Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-05-2004, 12:13 PM   #1
Zarr
Symbol of Cyric

I'm having problems with my BG1 game

To cut a long story short, it will only install to about 85% and when I try to leave the Friendly Arm Inn it crashes. So I need to clean up the registry of any BG1 files, so it will hopefully install properly.

I'm not an expert on computers unfortunatly so could someone please give me a step by step guide on how to do it, starting at the beginning.

It will be very appreciated, thank you! [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-05-2004, 12:22 PM   #2
Bozos of Bones
Apophis

About modifying registry - If you're not an expert, don't do it.It's that simple. Too much stuff can go wrong otherwise.
Old 04-05-2004, 12:31 PM   #3
slicer15
Symbol of Cyric

You can get registry cleaners, though...not sure if it'll fix the problem, but it should so.

Try this

Hope it helps! [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 04-05-2004, 12:32 PM: Message edited by: slicer15 ]
Old 04-05-2004, 03:38 PM   #4
WillowIX
Apophis

Otherwise it's

Start --> Run --> regedit

Then Edit --> search. Enter Baldur and search for that. No other software then Baldur's gate should have that information in the registry (I did a search and didn't find anything). When a match is found it will be selected. Now, before deleting it, I would recommend you back it up. Do so by exporting the value and saving it somewhere on your drive. After you've removed the values containing "Baldur" (nothing else!) restart the computer. Hopefully it will boot normally. Otherwise import the values you exported earlier.
Old 04-05-2004, 03:53 PM   #5
andrewas
Harper

Also scan for interplay, but be careful with those and leave them if unsure. Theres a list of the keys you need to hit somewhere on the BG1 support site if you have trouble.
Old 04-05-2004, 04:09 PM   #6
Zarr
Symbol of Cyric

Thankyou, everyone!

Slicer15, thankyou for that link I tried using the program and installing the game again but unfortunatly it didn't work Seems like a good program though so I'll be keeping it! [img]smile.gif[/img]

Bozos of bones you may be right... I'm not sure if I should attempt it or not. I'll maybe wait a few days and see how disperate to play Bg1 I get. If it was BG2 I couldn't live without it, but Bg1 maybe...

And, thankyou WillowIX and Andrewas I now know how to attempt it!

Your help is appreciated! [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-06-2004, 03:09 PM   #7
Beaumanoir
Iron Throne Cult

I have a program called Reg Cleaner, think that slicer gave you the link. Its great, fixed the same problem for me when I had some problems with Civ III. Its a good program.
Old 04-06-2004, 04:42 PM   #8
WillowIX
Apophis

Quote:
Originally posted by Beaumanoir:
I have a program called Reg Cleaner, think that slicer gave you the link. Its great, fixed the same problem for me when I had some problems with Civ III. Its a good program.
Yepp that's a neat one. However, later versions are not as stable as Regcleaner 4.3, which is the version I'd recommend. Just check the tab called "Software". Select Baldur's Gate and click remove. Done! It will not remove all the keys the game has installed though.