Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-15-2001, 02:00 PM   #1
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

has anyone of you heard a figure named Merlin? he was a mgician in Britan and King Authur's chief advisor, he often assited his king with magical arts.

Merlin was given birth by Incubuss, and he received his father unnatual capabilities.

Mage Merlin mentored King Authur when he was young.

I found it unbelievable, any information?

thanks in advance
Old 03-15-2001, 02:05 PM   #2
Bruce The Aussie
Fzoul Chembryl

he is supposadly the guy that set the sword in the stone (magically) that arther pulled out to become king of england (nearly typed evil)also he helped arther get Excalaber.

------------------

Bruce The Aussie, Camp Barbarian Hunter OHF
Old 03-15-2001, 02:06 PM   #3
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Very popular figure, in many movies...Walt Disney's Sword in the Stone, Merlin, knights of the Round Table, and dozens more, especially ones that talk about King Author.

------------------

Larry of the OHF
Old 03-15-2001, 02:06 PM   #4
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

Quote:
Originally posted by Bruce The Aussie:
he is supposadly the guy that set the sword in the stone (magically) that arther pulled out to become king of england (nearly typed evil)also he helped arther get Excalaber.

ok, i know that part, thx, you only made it more unbelievable any accurate information instead of legends?
Old 03-15-2001, 02:06 PM   #5
Bruce The Aussie
Fzoul Chembryl

also forgot to add this is a myth some belive it some don't
Old 03-15-2001, 02:07 PM   #6
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

I see... interesting.
Old 03-15-2001, 02:10 PM   #7
MORDRICK THE MAD
The Magister

Before I had ever played any of theses D&D games I was bought up on the Merlin cartoons/stories he began life in the Sword in the Stone story as an adviser to arthur who became king when he freed the sword from the stone he then later appeared in just about any medievel story featuring the Knights of the round table. From the pictures I have seen he looked like Elminster but he wore blue and was a withdrawn person who lived in a tower in Camelot. I belive he was very powerfull but I cant ever remember him using any magic he used to give people advice in a wise old bearded bloke sort of way.

------------------

At an early age, Mordrick the Monk showed Promise!
Old 03-15-2001, 02:10 PM   #8
Epona
Zartan

He's not real, ya know! - he's a fictional character. If he had been real, he would have been a priest of the druids.

The King Arthur you hear about isn't real either - but is probably based on a mixture of local warlord (6th century AD) and French legend.

For more about these stories, read Sir Thomas Malory's "Morte D'Arthur" and Sir Gawaine and the Green Knight (anon). These are where all the cartoons, and modern stories come from. They are both works of FICTION, based on older, FICTIONAL legends. Sir Gawaine is written in an ancient English dialect, so is quite difficult to follow. Malory is quite easy to read, and good fun. He wrote it while he was in prison in 1470.

------------------

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.

[This message has been edited by Epona (edited 03-15-2001).]
Old 03-15-2001, 02:12 PM   #9
MORDRICK THE MAD
The Magister

Quote:
Originally posted by Bruce The Aussie:

I thought that the sword in the stone WAS Excalibur?

Hey I just thought cant someone make me an Excalibur although I dont actually know if it was magical or anything in fact just ignore me

------------------

At an early age, Mordrick the Monk showed Promise!
Old 03-15-2001, 02:14 PM   #10
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

the king arthur isn't real???? you kidding me. people can fiction heros, fiction mages, fiction dragons, but how can one fiction a king? especially it is tales of Europe. it wouldn't spread out if the king is "fictioned"

there must be some background to it. and I believe there is a real king which king arthur is dedicated to.