Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum

Old 01-19-2003, 05:52 AM   #1
Dandad
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I have heard D W Bradley pops onto the site occasionally. In view of the news about his new venture would it not be both fun and worthwhile to make a DREAM list of features we would like to see in this new game.
As Packrat wrote... "...if our wishes and dreams...could add fuel to his fire...etc" If he does visit we might get even more of what we love.

Or would such a thread be too much off topic. Though we could all mention WW as a comparison?

Dandad
Old 01-19-2003, 06:16 AM   #2
WillowIX
Apophis

Alas it seems DW is the master of stealth. We have never seen him in here although we have our suspicions. Many a great conspiracy theories have been conducted. I won´t bring them up again though.
Old 01-19-2003, 10:38 AM   #3
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

Question Mark

Grin - I know what theories THOSE are!! [img]smile.gif[/img]

I rather doubt that Bradley checks us out any more (though he did when the forum was first formed and Ziroc is still at times in contact with him). Still a wish list is always a fun topic! We do have an old thread kicking around the board on the same topic as well. That one was created quite a while ago with mostly different posters. You might still find it worth searching out for a read!

Wyv
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2003, 06:52 PM   #4
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Of course, *YOU* wouldn't want that topic to be kicked around again, would you, Willow?
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2003, 08:44 PM   #5
kev
Drizzt Do'Urden

There is a thread by Wyvern called "If you could design W&W II".

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home

Jump to new posts
» Hello, kev [ log out ] Ironworks Gaming » Ironworks Gaming Classics » Wizards & Warriors Forum » If you could design W&W II (Page 1)

This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2
Author Topic: If you could design W&W II
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

posted 07-26-2002 11:04 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
what would you put in it?
What would you keep pretty much the same as W&W and what new features/etc. would you like to see added? What would you remove (aside from Sebastio )?

Wyv
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posts: 4229 | From: Rural Paradise, MI | Registered: Jan 2001 | IP: Logged |

kev

posted 07-26-2002 11:26 AM
I like the way the game runs but the interaction with the npc's is rarely complete. You should be able to return Torins fathers ring to him so that he doesn't keep standing there trying to kill the dragon, there should be some way to tell Talrick that you have found his treasure.
I would like to be able to scroll through the skills screen so that I could still work on skills that are off the screen.
It would be good to be able to get the stone magic if you didn't start as a wizard, even if it was very difficult to do so. Only 1 charactor can become a zenmaster.
It would be bonza if the game didn't crash as much as it does.
The journal is very unwieldy & it is hard to find who was doing what quest.(maybe WillowIX could design an index for it

--------------------

Posts: 511 | From: Western Australia | Registered: Apr 2002 | IP: Logged |

WillowIX
Lord Soth

posted 07-26-2002 11:33 AM
For starters I´d add Sabastio as the 1st man you meet (like Gareth)lol! I just had to Wyv. I think I´d remove a species or two (gnome is in danger here). I´d also even the weapons out. In this game there are loads of swords but hardly any other hand weapons (spears, axes etc.). I´d get rid of the large, boring and time wasting puzzles (stout mines, dragon spire). Add chronicles that can be found across the world to give you info about history or and hints. (in W&W give you asome idea about the first fight with Cet etc). Add a few more quests (not guild quests) but optional like the boogre caves. Add fog of war to the spirit eye spell (you shouldn´t be able to see every critter on the world map). Change the view a bit, the travelling zone don´t have to be bordered by forest only. Eehmm all I can think off at the moment. Everything else seems fine to me. Oh, I´d add a few more towns!
ps. LOL Kev! I´m somewhat tired of indexes at the moment.

[ 07-26-2002, 11:36 AM: Message edited by: WillowIX ]

--------------------

"Homines libenter quod volunt credunt." - Terentius ( )

Posts: 2013 | From: By a big blue lake, Canada | Registered: Jul 2001 | IP: Logged |

Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

posted 07-26-2002 11:53 AM
I'd like the towns to remain small but be 3D, not cardboard mockups like the backlot of Universal.

I'd like to not have to listen to the whole NPC speeches (especially Sebastio) to get the quest and get credit for the quest.

Being able to scroll through the whole skill list is a must!

The ability to resolve quests such as Torin and Talric would be very nice!

No stupid spells - like blood to gold!
Posts: 4229 | From: Rural Paradise, MI | Registered: Jan 2001 | IP: Logged |

Bungleau
Red Wizard of Thay

posted 07-26-2002 04:06 PM
Hmmm.... what would I like different....

For starters, I'll agree on a better variety of weapons. Anything but a sword and couple of staves were sold immediately.

A better quest log for sure. One that indicates quest, task remaining, and where to go back to. 3DO did a good job with this in MM9 -- the quest log updates as you complete steps and tells you where to go next.

Fewer guild quests, or a better way of handling them. It really gets frustrating running around from town to town because Grumpy just made Paladin, so now you have to go all the way back to Valeia for guild levels.

A town portal spell, or something similar, that would let you go to a specific town. Eliminates a lot of the frustrating travel.

Dungeons that respawn (and appropriately!). For example, don't you think that after a couple of weeks, something would decide to move into the crypt? By appropriately, I mean appropriate for your level. At low levels, it might be more skeletons and such. At high levels, it may become the new salad bar in town... imagine the fun! And levels should be calculated as real levels, not actual levels. If I've got to level ten in five classes, I'm not level ten right now; I'm more like level 50. I should get something appropriate.

A final score mechanism of some sort. I really like this about the MM series -- you get a number that tells you how you did, and you can then compete with yourself and others. Adds for more interesting replay, too -- what's the highest score you can get, highest with one character, etc.

Easter eggs. Hidden things that you can use to your benefit (or detriment).

Keep the price on blessed dragon arrows

Your behavior changes the game. Kill innocents, and people mistrust you, charge you more, and perhaps won't give quests until you complete a prequest. Or perhaps you have to prove your worth for one character by damaging your rep with another. IOW, your behavior affects the outcome.

That's it for a quick run off the top.

--------------------
Enjoy.

*B*
Minister, etc. (ret.)

Posts: 855 | From: Western Wilds of Michigan | Registered: Oct 2001 | IP: Logged |

the_young_one
Manshoon

posted 07-27-2002 12:23 AM
A few other toughts:

Monsters to be tougher (amazon mantraps were great, but after that, no notable encounters). "Immortals" such as Cet, Anepas, Oakenmir, Erathsmedor to be much much tougher

Retribution for breaking the Mavin Oath (eg stats to detiorate, recovery hit points and spell points slower).

Be able to change to zenmaster or valkyrie earlier in the game.

Make the patch standard (and avoid the crazy dance, toughen bug, vampire crash)

More weather - I liked the rain, but why not snow or gales. Also good if this affects skills - it must be harder to hit if you're in the middle of a blizzard

Touching up a few minor situations e.g. it is faster to swim and run than sail the boat across the endless sea, can six people really fit on one horse?, can six people and a horse fit on that small barge?

Limit on levelling up.. getting to level 400 and +400 to hit is rather excessive..
Posts: 161 | From: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia | Registered: Aug 2001 | IP: Logged |

DeathDragon
Elite Waterdeep Guard

posted 07-27-2002 02:25 AM
MULTIPLAYER!!!! That way people like us could all hang out in the same game. I would also say make the towns less cardboard like and I do like that weather one. More towns is a must have. As your characters progress, the creatures should go higher in toughness. That way you still have a challenge, because once your character gets up there, their no challenge.

That's all that I can think of right now.

--------------------
DeathDragon
Once you see a Death Dragon
It's already to late

Posts: 19 | From: New Jersey, USA | Registered: Jul 2002 | IP: Logged |

chi master
Drow Warrior

posted 07-27-2002 05:43 PM
If I could design W&WII I'd make it easier to see the entrance to the first level!!!!(the crypt).
--------------

--------------------
I like dragons
If you didn't notice...

my name is CHI MASTER master (as the name suggests) of the inner chi

Renowned APRENTICE planar destroyer
mage in the wizards guild.
Aprentice of Willard.
Lover of...
Thanks to nanobyte and /)eath killer for helping with my sig pic.

Posts: 285 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Jul 2002 | IP: Logged |

Loumistro

posted 07-27-2002 10:52 PM
I would Make it more challenging with more puzzles and more opponets and even more levels.

And I would add multiplayer online and I would even add in the ability to do multiplayer within the game. I would like to play this game with my friends.

--------------------
Boogre Bar Check it out and share some stories.

And check out my group about Dragon Ball Z. You can Role-Play and do many other stuff.
http://groups.msn.com/DBZRolePlayinHome

Posts: 586 | From: Monticello, IL, USA | Registered: May 2001 | IP: Logged |

Bungleau
Red Wizard of Thay

posted 07-27-2002 11:48 PM
Forgot to add one thing... expandability. Imagine what might happen in the Gael Serran if after all were said and done, Kerah actually turned out to be Herespia in disguise, and the gypsies were about to take over the Gael Serran to force everyone to wear gaudy clothes, sell cheap trinkets, and take speech lessons from Sebastio? A whole new realm of adventure awaits!

And note: I realize that gypsies do not match any particular stereotype any more than anyone else does. I'm just offering a possible build-on scenario that might be available. So please, call off the PC dogs early... :] I'm not that particular "-ist".

--------------------
Enjoy.

*B*
Minister, etc. (ret.)

Posts: 855 | From: Western Wilds of Michigan | Registered: Oct 2001 | IP: Logged |

morningstar
Dungeon Master

posted 07-28-2002 03:38 AM
To begin the game, better armour and weapons and the chests to keep filling up to provide better money at the start. Good weapons to be found only in chests and better weapons to be found in towns as the game progresses. More towns to visit and lots more quests to choose from. Also teleporting needs a spell which can be bought or acquired early in the game, and not only just 4 but so as you can teleport from anywhere to anywhere at will. Also better indication of what harm or spell it is that has wounded the person. Hit points need to be clear with each fight and what energy level the person has such as a metre for spells and health. A variety of big boss monsters which increase in hit points as the game progresses. I do not think on-line games are the go as they can cost too much and puts off many an Australian Player as availability of this is not good in Australia. However it would be good to be able to network with other computers so that others can play along with you only as an option. Also camping out to regain all energy would be good. Maps could be shown as you are travelling with the markers the gamer puts on showing where the person is travelling without having to put it full on-screen.

--------------------
Morningstar

Posts: 97 | From: Australia | Registered: Jul 2002 | IP: Logged |

kev

posted 07-29-2002 03:52 AM
Games like Baldurs gate have done well with an expansion. Why not W&W? It would be good to load an expansion over your W&W game that addresses all of the glitches that new players are tormented by. A couple of more towns wouldn't hurt.
There are a few things that would be very handy. How about a game manual that could be accessed without quitting the game. I would like to be able to skip long speeches that I have heard before. Give me a better selection of weapons, in RPG's my 2nd fighter is usually a dwarf that specializes in axe, we have this great opportunity to specialize in weapons but all the best weapons are swords.
I would like to see my charactors more responsible for their actions. Recently I had to kill a mermaid but even the other mermaids didn't notice. How about if you lose presence ability points for evil deeds, similar to losing reputation points in Baldurs Gate.
When I created my team I left the 6th slot free for any npc's that were likely to join my party. Nobody wants to join, maybe I should wear a deodorant. A good scenerio would be if you rescued a npc from Cet & he sets you on course to the next 2 towns, of course you would have to take it with you because of some special skill or need it has.
W&W is a magic game & I think that it could be improved on with an expansion.

rodizi
Elite Waterdeep Guard

posted 07-29-2002 06:44 AM
One thing I'd add is a "Rest" function at the Inns so that your party could stop adventuring for the night (similar to Baldur's Gate). With the limited view at night time, it makes exploring new areas alot deadlier than during the day. To go with that capability, a clock of some sort would be nice so that you could start heading back to town before darkness set in.
Posts: 46 | From: Amherstburg,Ontario,Canada | Registered: Jun 2001 | IP: Logged |

Radek
Drizzt Do'Urden

posted 07-29-2002 07:54 AM
W&W has one fantastic property: Even during the 20th pass through, you will find ways of improving your strategy and tactics. Please understand me well, I am not speaking about trying new classes or about trying something completely new - I am speaking about your beloved strategy and tactics. There is always something to invent or discover in the game. Which else game has this feature?
How is it possible? Because of all the bugs in the game. Let us note, that the game is awfully buggy, nevertheless, the game is played again and again. And it is played again and again by - I daresay - intellectual people (see the thread about "who are you?"), which would not play a buggy game if it weren't good in some sense. Therefore:

1. Convert as much "features" of W&W as possible into regular possibilities! Especially, allow all characters to join all guilds legally and allow the characters to gain enough money fast. the party should be able to train or enchant items when it decides to do so. Money should not be the obstacle.

Not all possibilities should be converted. Some of them allow to create demi gods. That's not good. Therefore:

2. Remove Reset Adventures! Reset Adventures is the main tool for creating demi gods. On the other hand, allow to return to a previously taken role.
3. Both dungeons and the wilderness should be adaptive: The monsters created by the monster generator sould depend on your current level and your current equipment somehow. You should find Jungle Lilies where you found bats when you were weak. This need not mean necessarily that there should be much more monsters in the game. The current monsters can change their strenght, endurance, and abilities according to your abilities. A bat from the beginning of the game need not be the same bat as a bat at level 50 with a blessed weapon in hand.

Also I would like to add a few of my personal wishes

3. Do something with ladders!
4. Rework elevators. They are unbearable!
5. Allow resting. For example, in the town inn or tavern. Do not force us to travel in nights if we don't want to.
6. Do something with training. We should not lose opporunity to train when we level up more than once.
7. Allow to store items somewhere. For example, in any chest in the game.
8. Improve behaviour of NPCs. For example, Medakwa should not send you to the toad village after finishing Shiwiki's quest.
9. Rework dialogs! They are excruciating! For example, return to the old method of dialog windows with a few buttons for selecting an action.

--------------------
My name is Demon's Last Day. Yes, the last one.

Posts: 637 | From: Prague, Czech Republic | Registered: Apr 2001 | IP: Logged |

Arsales
Elite Waterdeep Guard

posted 07-29-2002 01:18 PM
Ide put in more species to play, more spells, multiplayer, more wepons, a new time (in other words a sort of mix of 3000 and dark ages or 2003 or something like that to bring more items wepons and armor), NPC's that are abvel to join your partey and abel to tell you things well in your party, the charecters in your party from the beginning abel to tell you things, a bigger party, the abilletey to actully see your party on the screen, actully have backpacks and be abel to store things in them, have at least two servants that can carry a chest the you are abel to pick up and put down and are abel to use wepons, be abel to control charecters in your party seperatley and have a button for each charecter to take you to theyr screen (lik put on charceter in this town one in another and have a button for each charecter), aculy be abel to walk through the town gates and through the town and through doors, bigger better towns, be abel to ride on a dragons back or two , talk through your mike if you have one two other player charecters, be abel to climb like in the first WW and tents that you can take down and put up with campfires, and you should have to eat food, shorter days, longer nights, a chalender, and im out of ideas. But if i think of more ill post them

--------------------
"I am the last true being of power!"

Posts: 31 | From: V.T. | Registered: Jul 2002 | IP: Logged |

Arsales
Elite Waterdeep Guard

posted 07-29-2002 02:03 PM
OH OH OH! I KNOW! Theyr should be a town that you have to save or two and the mantraps shouldent have the dragon breath! The should have fireball! I hate those things! first time i found them my guys where dead in like 5 seconds!

--------------------

Loumistro

posted 07-29-2002 02:23 PM
Arsales Please restrain yourself to using your sig once per thread. It loads quicker that way and the Mantraps dont' have dragon Breath it is more like Deadly Vapors.
Posts: 586 | From: Monticello, IL, USA | Registered: May 2001 | IP: Logged |

Bungleau
Red Wizard of Thay

posted 07-29-2002 04:39 PM
It's amazing how we gripe when faced with monsters that can slay us without breathing hard, but we feel no regret or remorse when we slaughter them in the same way...

Of course, personally I despise the salads, but I do respect that they make me focus on the game when they show up!

--------------------
Enjoy.

*B*
Minister, etc. (ret.)

Arsales
Elite Waterdeep Guard

posted 07-30-2002 10:01 AM
And you should be abel to get the exat things the ppl you killed are wearing. You know like the serpent temple guy's robe's and stuff!

--------------------

CLAN MCRAE
Elite Waterdeep Guard

posted 07-30-2002 02:25 PM
a more fluid story-line would make the game nice for me. i like interacting with npcs.. it makes the game more real. the game world
has the best ive seen in graphics for it kind. theres always going to
be improvments.. id say more sounds in the game play ie; making npcs
more real, wind rain lighting, i want to feel the life of characters
and the enviroment. with fortitude clan mcrae
Posts: 43 | From: houston texas | Registered: Jun 2002 | IP: Logged |

So So
Elite Waterdeep Guard

posted 08-01-2002 06:57 PM
pretty much the w&w game at the moment is pretty good as a game goes. good story line, good charachters in the most part, pretty decent level up and spell system, and overall very good gameplay. on a scale of 1-10 (10 being best) i would give it a 9. however i'm not here to rate this game. if bradley was to create a w&w II then there are couple of things i would personally enjoy seeing. first of all i would like it to be completely tested for bugs and i mean completely. the next thing i would like to see is a 3-d walkable town like the rest of you. however i would still like to have a gate with a gatekeeper. (i guess a lot of stories got the gatekeepers) i would also like an innkeeper. i wouldnt mind being able to steal things (gold, etc.) from stores. i would also like to see a lot more towns (maybe there should be at least 10) and maybe about 5 "cities" (bigger versions of towns with houses you could rob) the other thing i would also like to see is a hood and cloak. i mean warlock with head exposed does not have the same effect as a warlock with a deep hood masking all features. and a cloak for your warriors to trail after them. also i would like armor that has a 20% resistance to something actually have 20% resistance to it not 10% or something like that. oh yea i would also enjoy magic spells being able to be targeted anywhere (for example at trees, houses, grass) and having the effect show (for example use burn on a house and it burns down slowly...) that is all i can think of right now but if i come up with anything else i'll add it.

--------------------
"Power of the Shadow made human flesh, wakened to turmoil, strife and ruin.
The Reborn One, marked and bleeding, dances sword in dreams and mist, chains the Shadowsworn to his will, from the city , lost and forsaken, leads the spears to war once more, breaks the spears and makes them see, truth long hidden in the ancient dreams."
Quoted from "The Shadow Rising"

Posts: 41 | From: somewhere in NY | Registered: Jun 2002 | IP: Logged |

kev

posted 08-01-2002 08:38 PM
Dont get rid of the salads they add a good challenge to the game.

Charmy
Dungeon Master

posted 08-16-2002 05:50 PM
I wonder why people complain about the 'salads'. One firestorm (easily attainable as early as level 7 wizard..) and they're toast.. I've never had a problem with them. My only gripe is when its night and they hit me first, but if your HP is high enough you can survive a single breath, and after that, you know where they are and can simply back up and firestorm. Since they always seem to congregate in clusters, they all die often in a single storm. If not, almsot everyone has enough mana for two..

If there were ALOT more monsters of comparable challenge to the Mantraps, it would be great.. its a shame when I enter a new area like Shurugeon Castle only to find that I can 'click click click click' my way through most encounters, even when heavily outnumbered.
Posts: 79 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2002 | IP: Logged |

Bungleau
Red Wizard of Thay

posted 08-21-2002 11:00 PM
I gotta agree with you, Charmy. On one hand, a simple firestorm (which can be attained before you get to Ishad N'ha, for sure) is a simple way to take care of them.

On the other hand, the first time you're playing the game, by the time you work your way past Ishad N'ha, you're probably feeling pretty good about yourself, your party, and how the game is going. You wander past one, or perhaps two of the salads without knowing it. Then, perhaps from behind you, comes a whiff of hot air from the Gael Serran's own mobile salad bar, and within minutes, you're learning one of the great truths about life in the Gael Serran: they WILL hunt you down....

Now, after that first matchup, you're better prepared to deal with them in succeeding games, by knowing what spells to get and use. Kind of like making sure you get level 4 Vine and Cure Poison before heading to the serpent temple....

From my perspective, I appreciate that kind of monster, largely because they make me think and consider my game. I also appreciate the challenge they represent; have you ever inadvertantly cast a firestorm around yourself? Quick spells can be a real pain sometimes....

And perhaps, just perhaps, I resent them because I respect them so much. If they weren't around, I'd comfortably be the most dangerous set of creatures in the Gael Serran. If they get together with a couple of their buddies... that might not be the case.

--------------------
Enjoy.

*B*
Minister, etc. (ret.)

Dude 77
Dungeon Master

posted 08-23-2002 10:42 PM
i would the more "zones" because the "world" of gael serran is a rectangle so its not a world, id like if say you went far enough north ward you would come up from the bottom of the screen and so far north and far sout of the gamem ther would be snowy areas and find snow beat type monsters and in a jungle you would jungle type monsters and same with the other climents in game and maybe some surprise dungeaons like you would be walking down a path then all of a sudden the ground disapears around and you fall into some surprise dungeaon of some kind( like a pit or a maze were your map doesent work untill you get out of it and other then that all the othe great ideas have bean taken

--------------------

ps you dont have to play the acount, just activate it!

Posts: 67 | From: The Darkest Pits of Hell | Registered: Apr 2002 | IP: Logged |

All times are EST
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2

Printer-friendly view of this topic Hop To: Select a Forum: Category: Ironworks Gaming Forums -------------------- General Discussion Neverwinter Nights NWN - The Undermountain Project Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn Baldurs Gate II: Throne of Bhaal Icewind Dale & Heart of Winter Discussion Icewind Dale II Wizardry 8 Forum Arx Fatalis Miscellaneous CRPG Games Dungeon Craft - RPG Game Maker Books, Movies & TV Show Discussions User Created Polls Category: Ironworks Gaming Classics -------------------- Baldurs Gate & Tales of the Sword Coast Wizards & Warriors Forum Category: Ironworks Gaming Roleplaying -------------------- Ironworks Online Roleplaying Category: Our Archives -------------------- Darkstone Baldurs Gate II Archives Wizards & Warriors Archives General Conversation Archives (VOL. 1 - 11/2000 - 6/2002) Category: Webmaster & Moderators -------------------- Webmaster and Moderators Gathering Category: America at War -------------------- America at War -- War with Iraq

Contact Us | Ironworks Gaming Website

UBB.classicTM 6.3.1

You Are Visitor Since 11/14/2001
©2003 The Great Escape StudiosTM & Ironworks GamingTM All Rights Reserved
Email comments or questions to the Webmaster

: I didn't mean for it to happen this way, but I'm sure you nget the drift.
Old 01-20-2003, 10:27 PM   #6
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Wowzah! Kev, didja know you can just post the link? Copy it into your reply, put the basic HTML A HREF stuff around it, and away you go.

'Course, it did make interesting reading. Did I say all that stuff?
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2003, 10:08 AM   #7
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

LOL!!!
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2003, 12:35 PM   #8
WillowIX
Apophis

ROTFL Kev! Is that the printer friendly version cut and pasted? My, my what an impressive post, it´s by far the longest I´ve ever seen.
WillowIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2003, 04:26 AM   #9
kev
Drizzt Do'Urden

It was supposed to have been a link. [img]graemlins/uhoh2.gif[/img]
kev is offline   Reply With Quote