Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-18-2001, 10:43 PM   #1
Desuma_Malevois

In a previous thread on bards, I extolled the virtues of the skald that I was playing, but then I got to wondering - what does the bard's song actually do? While the game's documentation clearly spells out its effects for the skald and jester kits, it doesn't really say much about it for the blade and the true-class bard. Out of curiousity, I made up a blade & began a new game, but when I tried out his song I didn't find any noticable difference (no bonuses were noted on the Report Screen). I seem to recall that when I tried a bard waaaaay back when on BG1, that my party's morale wouldn't break and that they weren't affected by fear spells, but I'm not 100% certain on this.

Does anyone know what effect the songs of true-class bards and blades have?

Old 06-18-2001, 11:04 PM   #2
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Hello! I can tell you about the bardsong for skalds! I love them! Am using one in my single and multi games. Had a bard in IWD too. Anyway for a skald, your bardsong does the following by levels:

1st: gives allies +2 to hit, +2 to damage and -2 to AC
15th: gives allies +4 to hit, +4 to damage, -4 to AC, and immunity to Fear
20th: gives allies +4 to hit, +4 to damage, -4 to AC, immunity to Fear, Stun and Confusion.

You can see all this in your character viewer in BG2 if you have a bard pc stored. Someone told me about that wonderful utility only yesterday! And I've been playing since January...sigh

Oh and the skald gets +1 to hit and +1 damage with all weapons too!

Now for the others.... let me check something... be back, I hope! LOL

Cloudbringer

------------------
Raindancer of the Laughing Hyenas Clan
Storm-Queen
StormCloud of the Black Knight: Heart Mind Soul Forever
"To sleep, perchance to dream..."

[This message has been edited by Cloudbringer (edited 06-18-2001).]
Old 06-18-2001, 11:33 PM   #3
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

I just created a plain bard (song gives increased luck and morale for party), jester(song confuses) and blade, went to character viewer and there was no more info on the bardsong. Weird. Sorry I couldn't help more.

Cloudbringer

------------------
Raindancer of the Laughing Hyenas Clan
Storm-Queen
StormCloud of the Black Knight: Heart Mind Soul Forever
"To sleep, perchance to dream..."
Old 06-18-2001, 11:39 PM   #4
Desuma_Malevois

Thanks for your prompt response anyway, Cloudbringer I suppose what I'm trying to find out is whether or not it is worthwhile for the blade and true-class bard to utilize their songs in combat, or whether they would be better advised to sling arrows and spells.

Old 06-19-2001, 08:25 AM   #5
Desuma_Malevois

*BUMP* to the front page.

Old 06-19-2001, 09:21 AM   #6
Gaffergamgee
Elite Waterdeep Guard

If u wanna have fun go a jester once u get the ring of invisibility or use the spell ull have a great laugh confusing ur enemies and watching them fight each other.In my opinion the plain class bard and the blade suck the skald is very good but gets a bit boring as u never get much action

------------------
Kneel to the Gaffer
Old 06-19-2001, 12:12 PM   #7
sunder
Zhentarim Guard

You also get about a half dozen musical instruments throughout the game also, so even if your bards bard song doesn't quite work as good as you want, you can still use magical instruments for other bard powers, such as removing fear, etc. Also, depends on your party's make up. A Skald is great if you have a bunch of warriors in your party, will make their fighting skills better, but if you have thieves and mages, he won't be quite as effective.